SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Scotty
Scotty

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Cool Lithium-ion Segway allowed on American Airlines...

Segway® Human Transporter Device
Batteries on the Segway® Human Transporter are lithium, similar to a laptop battery, and do not require removal or any disconnection of the power source. If this device is used as a mobility device, it may be stowed in the cabin on a first-come basis. Customers may ride their Segway to the aircraft door and guide it into the closet. It can climb stairs.

I found this on AA site. I knew if I took it at face value probably have problem if I took my Segway to the AA terminal. After being on the phone for 45 minutes I finally got the answer. No LIONS are not allowed on planes. Apparanly this is 180 degrees from what legal counsel sets out. Legal trumps Website. I sure was hoping this was true.

I did post a complaint on AA site suggesting they reevaluate the Segway LION battery restrictions. We shall see what happens.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Angry AA

There paperwork on Segway's are like 3 years old. Li-on's were not even out yet when they wrote up that paperwork. they are WAY behind the times.
I know the folks at Draft have been TRYING to get them to update it.

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something right™

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

It's not an American Airlines issue; it's an FAA and HAZMAT issue.

If you complain to AA, you're talking to the wrong people. Their hands are tied.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
apollo
apollo is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Does the Lithium-Sulfate, and not Li-Ion chemistry of the Segway batteries not make a difference? I thought all the segway batteries are made with a non-reactive chemistry (to oxygen, air, or water) patented by the Valence company, branded "Saphion".
If this is still true, then I guess the regulators are either ignorant (like the majority of the public on all things segway), over cautious, or they just haven't gotten around to looking at the Segway issue since the Lithium-Sulfate batteries came out.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo View Post
. . . or they just haven't gotten around to looking at the Segway issue since the Lithium-Sulfate batteries came out.
They have no interest in an exception for a specific product and are not going to look at any one item as specific as a Segway unless that one product poses a specific threat. That's not the ways laws are usually passed anyway. They look at classes of products. They're also on a cycle of review when it comes to laws. There's simply no way to review every law, every time a manufacturer makes some technological "break through" such as the Saphion. Further, once they do review a class of products, it takes -quite- awhile for them to test them and ensure that they are, in fact, safe. They aren't just going to take the manufacturer's word for it!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation Info "Stuck in Cyberspace"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Segway® Human Transporter Device
Batteries on the Segway® Human Transporter are lithium, similar to a laptop battery, and do not require removal or any disconnection of the power source. If this device is used as a mobility device, it may be stowed in the cabin on a first-come basis. Customers may ride their Segway to the aircraft door and guide it into the closet. It can climb stairs.

I found this on AA site. I knew if I took it at face value probably have problem if I took my Segway to the AA terminal. After being on the phone for 45 minutes I finally got the answer. No LIONS are not allowed on planes. Apparanly this is 180 degrees from what legal counsel sets out. Legal trumps Website. I sure was hoping this was true.

I did post a complaint on AA site suggesting they reevaluate the Segway LION battery restrictions. We shall see what happens.
Heres the problem with web pages I'll call "Stuck in Cyberspace".

If you were to Google American Airlines Segway you would get this page:

http://www.aa.com/content/agency/Tra...orter%20Device

Problem is that's a "dead" page that was pulled long ago but still can be accessed by Google etal.

If you were to enter the Americanairlines.com site and looked you will find this, the currant page:

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...AndDevices.jsp

No mention of Segways.

It's like when the Segway was first introduced and Brookstone was the distribution arm. If you Google brookstone segway I167 you get a "Dead" page from INC's site. Notice the press release date , Oct. 2003.

http://www.segway.com/aboutus/press_...pr_102903.html

Obviously thats also a "stuck" page.

That is why you must check with the carriers active site. Then call to confirm.

As far as when the Lions will be approved, there are those that are working with the authorities to get a definitive answer.

As stated in above posts it's not the airlines call on this it's FAA/HAZMAT.

Hope this helps with the contridictory web and customer service issue.

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Finally I Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Heres the problem with web pages I'll call "Stuck in Cyberspace".
Superb explanation. I finally understand why so many people keep reporting conflicting info on this stuff. AA and INC should block access from outside their own network (assuming they want to see the old versions) to those old pages instead of merely removing links to them from their current site.

Rep points for digging up the info.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Superb explanation. I finally understand why so many people keep reporting conflicting info on this stuff. AA and INC should block access from outside their own network (assuming they want to see the old versions) to those old pages instead of merely removing links to them from their current site.

Rep points for digging up the info.
Thanks, I had some help...

It's not just a few sites, it's more the rule than the exception. I spoke to a friend thats a web designer late tonight and he told me that most "webmasters" fight just to keep a site up to date much less expunge "dead" pages.

Be Big,
Alan

Old 07-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
Scotty
Scotty

Smile AA Customer Service

I got a call from AA about my complaint. She didn't know anything about Segways and LION until my complaint. She did some reseach and said it was the FAA's rule. I told her I had found that out, after my complaint, from this post. We had a nice conversation. She told me the Segway issue had come up at a previous meeting. And the information I gave her would be passed along at future meetings.

Thanks for all the great information on this.

Maybe Segway will adopt the Ultra-Capacitor storage to power the Segway eliminating the the whole issue if the LION.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 PM   #10
Tarkus

Just so there is no confusion, American Airlines happily accepts Segways as mobility aids. Just no Lions.

I have flown AA a couple of times (I prefer Southwest) and never had an access issue. Their gate personnel knew both of the Segway and the difference in battery types.

As far as getting your HT into the closet, I have never been able to do that even after hundreds of flights. Mine flies with the strollers !
But I do know of a few that have had that honor.

Speaking of Southwest, just want to give a big thanks to their Jacksonville Florida crew. They always take exceptional care of my other "legs". I have found SW to be extremely aware of the Segway and how to handle one.

Gordon is always ready by the time I arrive at the gate.

In no time they have the Segway gate checked, tagged and ready to go.

Not long ago I flew AA then the next week back on SW. When I got to the gate the SW agent said she saw me "cheating" on them when I was heading for the American flight !

Be Big,
Alan

Last edited by Tarkus; 07-27-2007 at 11:25 PM..