SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Post DRAFT at "NO BARRIERS 2007"

It was our honor to be a festival partner for "No Barriers 2007".

This event, held in the splendor of Squaw Valley California, truly showed the best of the human spirit for living. "No Barriers" is more than an event it is a state of mind.

Thanks to the "NB" Board and Staff for creating such a fine event for all people, not just persons with disabilities.

They can be found at www.nobarriersusa.org

Not only did it provide a chance for all people to try out adaptive equipment, it also gave many a chance, myself included, to see where their individual drive may lead them. It also provided a platform for some of the best in science, research and technology to show whats new and upcoming in a broad range from prosthesis to universal design.

We at DRAFT had the privilege to showcase the Segway as an aid to those with mobility limitations. We literally trained hundreds of people during the event. Some with disabilities such as SCI, MS, Spina Bifida, Amputees, ALS and the list could go on.

Others with "Abilities" such as Phd's, both physical and occupational therapists, caregivers and many many more.

Jerry Kerr was at his usual eloquent best with his presentation at the symposium. For the first time the DRAFT presentation also included a fine documentation of what we and the HT are all about. The video was produced by Trey Kerr and his hard work showed in such a fine quality presentation.

It was also a pleasure to be with my "Extended Family" again. Jerry, Len, Trey, Grant and Iris worked their tails off but we all felt great at days end. I also must thank my wife Christa, who gave up a chance to go to Italy for free to be with us at the festival.

Here are a few photos from DRAFT's Interactive clinics. I'll post more when the photos become available to me.

Jerry And Christa doing some of the "not so much fun" part of these trips:

And thats just a dent in what was accomplished. So many left our exhibit with a new understanding of the Segway.

One more photo.
Whats more rare than a "Seg in the Wild" ?
An Ibot in the wild.

Even more unlikely is the following:

Myself on the Segway and Harlan Hobbs on his Ibot. Two great machines that have improved both of our mobility. You would think that would be enough to put a smile on our faces, but we were in the "We Bad" mode there !

You may notice that "pimping" is not just for Segways. Harlan can make that chair do some wild things, I know he took me along to see it in action.

On a personal note. I won't bother Jerry & Len with how they have inspired me as I know their sick of me telling them so I won't, wait I did it again !

A friend of DRAFT, Mark Wellman, called me out at dinner one night and told me he expected to see me on the "Rock Wall" in the morning. At first I was going to remind him that my feet don't work but then stopped mid sentence.

You see Mark broke his back in a climbing accident and is now a Paraplegic, but has since made assents of El Capitain among many others. He is also a skier, EXTREEM Mountain Biker and does just about anything else that seems impossible.

I went to the wall and did my best. Did I get to the top, no. But I learned that I could get much farther then I would have ever thought.

Thanks Mark you opened my eyes. Please check out his website:

http://www.nolimitstahoe.com/index.htm

He is an amazing man.

Well I can go on forever but I have gone on to long already. I can't wait for our next event.

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

With your permission, I'd like to copy and email this entire post including photos to a physical therapist friend of mine.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

You could always send him this link, with or without permission

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showpos...40&postcount=1
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Understood.

I just don't want the people reading the material to get side tracked and engulfed in the world of a chat room; especially the innocent ones that night not know better.

The original post is, in my opinion, far more powerful if it stands alone. Later, if people are inspired or intrigued, they'll eventually find SegwayChat, but for now the idea would be to have them look at the device in a way they might not have.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up No worries !

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
With your permission, I'd like to copy and email this entire post including photos to a physical therapist friend of mine.
Please do. Put it on a Billboard if you would like.
Visibility is key, let the world see tomorrow today !

Be Big,
Alan

Old 07-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking And here we thought Jerry was working

He has a pretty little something beside him, and it looks like he has been out in the sun....

I am sure you guys were all hard at work doing the good work that you do...

So when you coming back to DC? We have some more work to do here too!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
[email protected]
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
It was our honor to be a festival partner for "No Barriers 2007".

This event, held in the splendor of Squaw Valley California, truly showed the best of the human spirit for living. "No Barriers" is more than an event it is a state of mind.

Alan

Noticed that most of the Segways shown (except yours) are XTs.
Noticed that the event was in California.
Noticed that the latest California law says XTs are not EPAMDs.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Tarkus

All Segway models were in use. Different models for varying problems.

This has nothing with EPMAD laws.

Be Big,
Alan

Last edited by Tarkus; 07-03-2007 at 10:25 PM..
Old 07-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #9
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Thumbs up I2

Have you heard the track 7 on the DVD ~Beep~ on the delivery unit, right after the manual filp. of said title. This is the part where the shooting stars just kept'on burning bright. I have trained and sucumb to the perials of the 'digger'.
Had'um MS,CP,incomplete parapeligic. What did you do today?
They screamed and moaned when the words were uttered.~ Universale Platform..~ as they stood there. In awe.
The entire oak room with echo. 4 flights a'down to the see.
'What was the count in three parking spaces?, The last I saw was 50+ in the rain in LB, the QM floating with a dynamic stoic double checked, stabilization.
The X2 offers sit and ride. Narow is a path.
Break an i-167 fender, watch out for that tree.
see 1 do 2, glide.
Crash~Hu?

J.M. ~ Gravity ~ nice song

Last edited by Mr_Laurenzano; 07-21-2007 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: To Honor DRAFT
Mr_Laurenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:03 AM   #10
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Noticed that most of the Segways shown (except yours) are XTs.
Noticed that the event was in California.
Noticed that the latest California law says XTs are not EPAMDs.
Please exstrapolate are you speaking of AB470, where are they legal?
Catching air in califonia, sugestions?
Crash

Last edited by Mr_Laurenzano; 07-21-2007 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: My mom called
Mr_Laurenzano is offline   Reply With Quote