SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #31
jgb
jgb is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I am six weeks post ankle surgery. My segway has been a huge benefit. I find it easiest to step up with my good leg, then bring up the other. Besides that go slow and watch for bumps. I am still not allowed to walk very far, but am now allowed full weight bering which makes riding much easier. Good luck.
jgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #32
Jersey Girl
Jersey Girl is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Glidings good at 6 weeks post op!

I'm not quite back to "slalom skiing" on my i2, but at almost 6 weeks post-op from my knee replacement, I'm doing quite well. I have developed a new style, with most of my weight on my good (? less bad knee, which I now find helpful to wear a brace/support on longer glides) leg, using the foot of the post-op leg to turn. I seem to turn alot of heads out gliding like this, too (leaning on good knee with brace, bad knee out front with big huge scar, and handicap sticker on fender).

I actually surpassed the 600 mile mark yesterday on a glide through a hot DC day. Not bad considering I bought my Segway in March, broke my arm a few weeks later, and then had a total knee replacement. Looking forward to the thousand mile mark! Thanks to all for your suggestions, support, and offers of help.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #33
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

After starting an exceptionally fine thread, Jersey Girl wrote "...I bought my Segway in March, broke my arm a few weeks later, and then had a total knee replacement..." After all the good information passing back and forth,. perhaps we should have advised her to simply stop going to that address.

My own update is that gliding resumed on my i180 eight weeks after a total hip. It might have been a bit early but I just couldn't watch the summer disappear without my participation. I still worry a bit at the slowness of my dismount, but have had no problems and no falls...or even almost falls.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:14 AM   #34
Jersey Girl
Jersey Girl is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzined View Post
After starting an exceptionally fine thread, Jersey Girl wrote "...I bought my Segway in March, broke my arm a few weeks later, and then had a total knee replacement..." After all the good information passing back and forth,. perhaps we should have advised her to simply stop going to that address.

My own update is that gliding resumed on my i180 eight weeks after a total hip. It might have been a bit early but I just couldn't watch the summer disappear without my participation. I still worry a bit at the slowness of my dismount, but have had no problems and no falls...or even almost falls.

EXCELLENT REPLY, SUZINED!!!! I should have gotten smarter sooner, seriously (and I don't want that to come off in any wise-*** sort of way, I really mean that, it makes me think. I hope people learn from this thread, isn't that why we do this?)

Here's the deal....the broken arm was soo stupid, completely my fault. Newbie on the Segway with great confidence...we all know how easy it is to get to that point. It was St. Patrick's Day, I was at a party, I love the Irish jig; it shouldn't count against Segway nor towards any formal "record".

The knee...that's actually why I bought the Segway, the knee replacement was knee surgery number 11 (yes, eleven...8 on "bad" knee, 3 on "good" knee. Does not count 4 ankle surgeries, back surgery, or 3 shoulder surgeries. Damn, the auto-immune complex!) My Segway has made such a huge difference in my life these last months, and I can't even imagine going through this surgery/recovery without it.

Again, you Guys and this forum have been soooo very helpful to me. I hope to be able to give something back to you. Even if it's admitting I have been stupid in the past. Suzined, Thank you.

Love from the Jersey Girl