SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #21
Jersey Girl
Jersey Girl is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default What Ortho said.

"When I see the orthopod tomorrow, I will ask him again about Segging, he seemed to know exactly what it involves, and has probably glided himself. I will ask him to explain his reasoning and share with you all afterwards."

Got all 23 staples out and it feels good. My doc is very pleased with my progress just 2 weeks out from a total knee. I told him I had been on the stationary bike in our gym trying to improve range of motion, and to my surprise, made 2 actual full revolutions. He said, "That's great, you can't hurt the knee riding, walking, you'll even be able to ski late next season if you like."

"What about the Segway, doc?" I says with a grin. He asked me what possessed me to buy a Segway. So, I explained how I used to love walking around DC, that's one of the reasons I moved downtown. But the freakin auto-immune complex I have is degenerating my lumbar spine since I had surgery for a disc herniation 3 years ago, then tore the ACL in my good knee 3 weeks post-op and had to have that fixed a year later, and all of that has helped accelerate the arthritis in the bad knee, I found I couldn't make it as far as the Washington Monument (one mile) without pain and limping. As I considered having the knee replacement, I thought I'd try a Segway out at the Capital Segway store, just a mile or so from me, also (ain't this a great city?). I had looked into renting on the internet, but I was finding minimums of 3-6 months at $500-$600 a month, plus shipping. So I stopped by Capital Segway, rode one of the rebuilt older models that was on sale for $2,500, and then tried the new i2, listed at $5,000! I was hooked and bought after just 15 minutes. (I condensed this story a bit for the doctor).

I could tell he had glided before, so I asked him for details and got exactly what I expected. He had been on a tour with his 13 year old son (was not an i2). His son abruptly stopped while crossing at an intersection and Dad, not wanting to run him over, made a bad turn and fell. He did not get hurt, but knows first hand that you do have to be able to get on and off in a hurry and be prepared for sudden moves. He said my new knee is not ready for that. He said give it at least a month. I agreed that that was reasonable. He said, "you'll know when you're safe, if you're not safe, don't ride". OK, Doc, I'll wait until I feel safe, or at least another 2 weeks.

I'm gonna send him a gift certificate for an i2 glide with Capital Segway as a thank you.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:37 PM   #22
william collins
william collins will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default Thats good news

Glad to here your doing well ..make sure you follow the PTs instructions ..Don't cheat..he says thirty times do the thirty..If hes busy don't just lay there and wait do a few extra pulls and bends..I assume your going to PT every other day like I did..do some at home in between..I bought my own TENS unit and Ice pack..Since my last post I find things are improving..little less pain and now getting the sleep I needed..Some bad days and some good ones.I now have some pills for the Restless Leg Syndrone..The next week or so and you'll be gliding all over DC..I think Sky Diving is out tho..He He...Good Luck
Old 07-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #23
Jersey Girl

5 yr Member
Default Segway as P.T.

I got released from home P.T. today and start outpatient on Wednesday. I have also progressed to just a cane, have at least 110 degrees flexion, and am riding the stationary bike for 10-15 minutes at a time!

You know what that means....So, I felt safe today and gave it a go. Did about a 5 mile glide on the DC sidewalks and I did fine. I didn't do alot of zigging or zagging, mostly straightaway at 8-10 mph. I took it slowly at all crosswalks, too. I had most of my weight on and turned with the good leg, but I did find that Segging is a great way to get your balance or "proprioception" back after an injury or surgery; who needs those damn balance balls they make you use in PT?! It's the standing for long periods and subsequent swelling that will keep my riding limited for the moment. Boy did it feel great to be back out there. You should have seen some of the looks when I told the curious that I had a total knee replacement < 3 weeks ago! Time for ice and another variety of "a cold one" (haven't needed percocet in a few days either). Yee Ha!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 11:30 PM   #24
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I tried getting on and off my i180 today for the first time since the total hip installation eleven and a half weeks ago. It wasn't pretty but I did it. I'm not about to go gliding till I can get off and on "quickly" and I'm guessing that won't be for several weeks. My balance is really stinko so thank goodness for the Gen1 machines. But now I have added getting on and off to my exercise routine. I'm not sure I could have started dismounts any earlier--rather difficult.

Life is good!

Ed
Old 07-21-2007, 12:48 AM   #25
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Oooops!

My hip replacement was seven and a half weeks ago--not eleven and a half as I reported. No wonder I was thinking recovery was going slowly. My surgeon told me the "dismount quickly and safely" test was probably the best indicator. After twelve weeks the "grow-in" hip is about full strength--a "glue-in" knee is at full strength within a couple of days but the muscles need more time to knit together.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #26
Jersey Girl

5 yr Member
Default Post-op period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzined View Post
My hip replacement was seven and a half weeks ago--not eleven and a half as I reported. No wonder I was thinking recovery was going slowly. My surgeon told me the "dismount quickly and safely" test was probably the best indicator. After twelve weeks the "grow-in" hip is about full strength--a "glue-in" knee is at full strength within a couple of days but the muscles need more time to knit together.
Yeah, I'd say there is quite a difference between between 7.5 and 11.5 weeks post-op, about a month! Sounds like you are doing well, though.

That was the indicator for me riding, the getting on and off. I can do it without the cane, but it is easier with and I have taken it with me on the few glides I have taken (which included my P.T. visit the other day).

Be safe and a continued good recovery to you.
Mary Ann
Old 07-23-2007, 01:33 PM   #27
Linda
Linda is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default knee replacement

Hi, had my knee replaced 5 years ago. The only thing I have trouble with is bumps. I have learned to bend my knees and this helps. I have no problem riding my segway i2.

however, my son claims that it just shut down on him. He fell and hurt his ankle. He is 19 and a very careful person. The section of road he fell on is flat and smooth. I have riden there myself and never had any problems.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #28
Linda
Linda is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default knee replacement

Hi, had my knee replaced 5 years ago. The only thing I have trouble with is bumps. I have learned to bend my knees and this helps. I have no problem riding my segway i2.

however, my son claims that it just shut down on him. He fell and hurt his ankle. He is 19 and a very careful person. The section of road he fell on is flat and smooth. I have riden there myself and never had any problems.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the unit just shutting down. I would like to know since. I normally ride to work on my segway.

thanks Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #29
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I have only had mine Unexpectedly Shutdown (US) once. You should probably take your unit to a dealer and have the logs sent to INC. My understanding is that they are always interested in safety reports. In the past most people that have talked about US had some sort of loss of traction event.

In my case it was totally my fault, I was "bump jumping" the speed bumps at work. Loss of traction and loss of rider event caused the Segway to just turn off. I landed square on my back and the Segway skidded about 20 feet ahead of me.

BTW this was BEFORE I had PLIF surgery.

The key to bump jumping is 1) Don't do it, 2) If you must, bend your knees and keep your feet planted on the platform.

I hope both you and your son feel better soon!

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post

I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the unit just shutting down. I would like to know since. I normally ride to work on my segway.

thanks Linda

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #30
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default Loss of traction/rider event

Watch out for those speed bumps (it's even on the safety sticker).
I hit a speed bump once and got airborne. Because my legs were stiff, I bounced off the seg and was also tilting in midair. This is a double whammy in the seg's mind. Rider detects said no rider, and when the platform tilted in midair, the wheels tried to gain traction, but since there was none, they spun up and shut down.... all before i landed.

Messed up a perfectly clean piece of asphalt.

And the #3 rule to bump jumping is, if you do it (by accident or not), try to keep the platform level!