SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #11
Jersey Girl
Jersey Girl is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I was back on my segway in three weeks after the replacement..

3 weeks? That's Awesome! and for me, that's next week!!! Did your orthopedic surgeon know about that part of your recovery? What did he/she think/say about that? I know the risks come with falling, not so much riding. I have only had my i2 since March and have had 3 good falls, one in which I broke my elbow (didn't slow me down too much, was gliding 4-5 days later with the cast still on), the others just resulted in bumps, bruises, and abrasions. I have ridden over 500 miles, so maybe it's more about the mileage than the time owned/gliding. I just did a little practice ride in the long hallway of my condo building, need a crutch to get on and off, but the straightaway is a piece of cake. Ooh, if my friends/neighbors saw me riding the Seg on crutches with the 23 staples still in my knee they'd kill me! But I miss it so....

This Jersey Girl lives in DC. The only time I get to East Rutherford is for Springsteen concerts. My family is still at the Shore, Monmouth County, and I am home alot, but I haven't figured a way to get my Segway into my Mustang convertible (does not fit in the trunk). I am looking at some of the new hydraulic lift/carriers Segway is coming out with, Steve at Capital Segway has been a great resource (and becoming a friend, too).

I just joined DC Segway. When I do start riding again, which should be soon, it would be very helpful to do my first couple of glides with an experienced glider until I get my confidence back, and to make sure I can get on and off without a problem. Any volunteers in the next week or 2? I am downtown near the Verizon Center? Don't know about that curb-hopping, though.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #12
Jersey Girl

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william collins View Post
I had the first one (Left)done in 2001 and now the right one done March 2nd this year ..I was back on my segway in three weeks after the replacement..And I'm back to the curb jumps ..Just got to remember to keep the knee bent and not stand stiff..still have some pain and forget a good nights sleep thats out of the question Wish the Doc would prescribe some Ambien or something ..But as far as gliding I stand some and sit some (Have the SegSeat) Can't walk to far so the segway is a God Send..Where you located Jersey Girl ...I'm in East Rutherford NJ..If were close mayby a glide together OK

Which one of your docs won't let you try Ambien, ortho, primary care, etc? I agree with the trial of Tylenol PM or something like that (the medicine in all those OTC sleep aids is diphenhydramine, AKA "benadryl", the major side effect of the antihistamine being drowsiness), but if it doesn't work, you have the right to INSIST on a good night's sleep and a prescription aid for same, if needed. I have been taking Ambien for years, couldn't function without it. I underwent a sleep evaluation including an overnight sleep study because I was concerned that I was addicted to Ambien. Result was negative for any medical problem, neurologist called it plain old "chronic insomnia". I was told I could get a refill on Ambien whenever I needed it. What the doc said was, "better addicted to Ambien and getting a good night's sleep so that you can function, than not taking it and continually being sleep deprived and living with the consequences." (I was falling asleep driving home from work on a regular basis when I did not sleep at night...not good, plus, I was functioning at a "chronic sub-par level". So, if your doc won't let you try it, ask another doc! It's a good medicine. Just don't ride your Segway after taking it!

Good luck, good sleep, take care of those knees, and always....Glide Safely!
Jersey Girl
Old 07-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
SegWayne
SegWayne will become famous soon enoughSegWayne will become famous soon enough

Location: On Grandparent tour, currently spoiling Grandchild in Texas
5 yr Member

"So, if your doc won't let you try it, ask another doc!". Yes, Yes... if you can't change the people you're with, change the people you're with.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
william collins
william collins will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default I didn't demand

It was the ortho doc that did the replacement .said that he dosn't like to prescribe sleep meds and told me to buy over the counter sleep aids ..I tried Sominex and SleepMD ..neither worked very well at all..And part of the problem is that I like to sleep on my right side and if I fall asleep on the that side within 20 minutes I get a terrible pain in the knee and calf..same leg that was just had the replaced knee..Wakes me up ..and we move to the other side ..Oh and another thing that seems to go with knee replacements is Restless Leg Syndrome...That alone will keep you awake ...constant moving about ..I don't remember all this from the first replacement but my wife says its all a repeat.. So then its just time till it heals..But in the meantime I just keep doing all the gliding I can..Watching out for potholes ..I only fell twice on my Seg and it was both times my fault. Once two years ago when I first got the seg and was stupid going out in the snow and slipped on Black Ice..seciond time was the same as Geo. Bush..Forgot to make sure it was in balance mood...That will never happen again..Many hours and miles on my belt since then
Old 07-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #15
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Constant Motion Machine?

It seems like a knee replacement four months ago and still having knee pains at night is unusual. (I've had three total knees in the past six years.) The first month after each surgery I used a constant motion machine--not to increase range of motion but to keep the knee moving. It really helped prevent pain. But after four months? Very unusual.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #16
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I spent the night trying to think of the difference between total hips and total knees. My hips are "grow-ins" while my knees are "glue-ins". I would recommend at least a six month wait before trying a "grow-in" on a Segway. Glue-in knees might well be different. Do we have an orthopedic doctor amongst our group? ...I do miss gliding!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:33 PM   #17
SegWayne

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzined View Post
......... (I've had three total knees in the past six years.)
Ok, I'll be the one to ask....... Where did you put the third knee? Are there pictures? Is it like a Kickstand? If so, could it be "glued" to an i/x2?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #18
Jersey Girl

5 yr Member
Default The 3rd knee

OK, Wayne, you took the words right out of my mouth (..."oh it must've been when you were..." couldn't resist).

How long before your original TKR and the revision, what happened? Sounds like maybe you're plagued with RA? Sucks!

Very good point about "grow-in vs. glue-in", my knee is cemented, a DePuy rotating platform system. I'm hoping it lasts a good long time, like maybe 20 years. I had a miserable experience, they screwed up the epidural PCA and I got no pain medicine the first night after surgery. What part of "something is wrong, I shouldn't be having this much pain" did they not understand? My pain management was completely unacceptable post-op, I wouldn't wish my experience on my worst enemy (maybe W, no, I didn't mean that).

When I see the orthopod tomorrow, I will ask him again about Segging, he seemed to know exactly what it involves, and has probably glided himself. I will ask him to explain his reasoning and share with you all afterwards. So, do we have an orthopedic surgeon on this forum? Step up and tell us what you think. I believe this topic will come up more frequently for ortho docs and they will have to make clear recommendations and explain them in the future. In the meantime, I think I would be fine Segging here on these lovely wide DC streets, plus, I can go on the Mall (I got one of those little handicap stickers from American signs someone recommended on this site)!

Let's hear from ortho and P.T. on this, please.
Mary Ann
Old 07-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #19
SegWayne

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
OK, Wayne, you took the words right out of my mouth (..."oh it must've been when you were..." couldn't resist).
Ok, great lead-in, but I'm not going to take the bait and bite......

Dr's are going to give you the "cover my ***" answer. If you were new to gliding, give it plenty of time.... if you are an experienced glider (not necessarily "fully experienced" (from another thread) you'll know as soon as you get on or moving if you should be doing it......
Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #20
Jersey Girl

5 yr Member

Thank you, Doctor!