SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
Jersey Girl
Jersey Girl is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Any experience riding after knee surgery?

Does anyone have any experience riding post-op? I am having a total knee replacement due to severe arthritis. I have been practicing getting on and off my i2 with crutches and a cane (believe it or not). Of course, walking will be good for rehabbing the knee, but I won't be able to walk too far. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience, hints, tips, etc. Obviously, if it turns out to not be safe, I won't do it. But oh, how I'll miss my Segway. Thanks. If all goes well, guess I won't be able to say I use my Segway because of my bad knees (there is the other knee, though).
Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Does anyone have any experience riding post-op? I am having a total knee replacement due to severe arthritis. I have been practicing getting on and off my i2 with crutches and a cane (believe it or not). Of course, walking will be good for rehabbing the knee, but I won't be able to walk too far. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience, hints, tips, etc. Obviously, if it turns out to not be safe, I won't do it. But oh, how I'll miss my Segway. Thanks. If all goes well, guess I won't be able to say I use my Segway because of my bad knees (there is the other knee, though).
I have a artificial left knee. Very old style replaced on April 13, 1981! It hurts when I glide, it hurts when I don't... Walking for me is much worse than gliding on the segway. BTW, do what your doc says about motion exercise.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Jersey Girl

5 yr Member

? Time for a revision, Jeff? Technology is sooo changed now.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:28 AM   #4
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
? Time for a revision, Jeff? Technology is sooo changed now.
I've been under the knife way too many times in the last few years to worry about my knee. Hardware that works is best left alone Can you tell I'm an engineer!

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Long term there should be no problem. The issue is how soon can you "safely" resume gliding. No answer here other than don't rush it. I've had both knees and a hip done in the past and have really enjoyed my Segway. Just now I'm recovering from another total hip replacement (May 29th) and do not expect to safely glide till at least Thanksgiving. Frankly, I am concerned it may be even longer as taking a fall with a new joint can have most serious consequences. I was told that a total knee is the equivalent of having six broken bones (each saw cut on a bone is a break, three above the joint and three below). My experience is that knees are the most painful but hips are the most disabling. My last hip took about a year to become fully incorporated into my body. I'd guess six months for a knee might be a minimum time to wait. It isn't the stress of an uneventful glide that concerns me--I'd worry about a sudden bump or emergency turn, a hidden pot hole in a seemingly innocent mud puddle that would result in a need for you to make a sudden, hard twisting motion. That could really water your eyes!

Am I writing this for you?...or for me? I really miss gliding and am eager to resume. I am also very unwilling to take any unnecessary chances. I'd consider using the black key for awhile.

Five years ago, while waiting to see my orthopedic surgeon, I noticed a young man also waiting. His right arm was strapped to his body, hand on his left collar bone (Valpo sling?). I asked what happened and he told me he'd fallen in his shower a month after a total shoulder. He'd caught himself with his right arm, on his new shoulder. They'd had to remove the implant, strap up his arm for six months while it healed, then planned to re-install an artificial right shoulder. Every time I think of having an accident with an artificial joint, that young man's image and story explode into my memory. I get a shudder every time I think about it.

Be very, very careful and whatever you do don't rush it. Let us know when you start. All the very best!
Old 06-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

In response to Jersey Girl's question, a friend--not on the Segway Chat listserv but an active glider--sent me the following.

Ed,
No joint replacement for me yet but broken and pinned hip wasn't a lot of fun. As a matter of fact it was four years ago, I was about six weeks into recovery when they introduced the Segway to the public on GMA. I saw that program and ordered one the same day. Took four months and a certified training course before they shipped one to me. Times have changed.
Yeah, the glide shouldn't be a problem as long as you stay in wide open spaces on smooth paved or carpeted surfaces. It's those hidden problems that will get you and I can only imagine how much damage you could do. OUCH! You think you got everything licked then something jumps up and bites you. Think I would wait until I could handle a quick dismount or jump off and would defiantly stay on the black key.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:22 AM   #7
Jersey Girl

5 yr Member
Default My poor, lonely Segway

Had my total knee replacement 6/28....definitely NOT FUN, not like riding my Segway. I pass my poor lonely Segway evertime I go in and out my front door (it's parked in my front hallway) on my crutches. I asked my orthopedic surgeon when I could ride, he replied, "have you ever ridden one of those things?" Huh? "Yeah, Doc, I own one, when can I ride?" Talk to me in 4 weeks was his answer. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Had my total knee replacement 6/28....definitely NOT FUN, not like riding my Segway. I pass my poor lonely Segway evertime I go in and out my front door (it's parked in my front hallway) on my crutches. I asked my orthopedic surgeon when I could ride, he replied, "have you ever ridden one of those things?" Huh? "Yeah, Doc, I own one, when can I ride?" Talk to me in 4 weeks was his answer. I'll keep you posted.

All the best with your recovery, keep us posted.

Be Big,
Alan

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
william collins
william collins will become famous soon enough

Default My Poor Knee(s) Replacments

I had the first one (Left)done in 2001 and now the right one done March 2nd this year ..I was back on my segway in three weeks after the replacement..And I'm back to the curb jumps ..Just got to remember to keep the knee bent and not stand stiff..still have some pain and forget a good nights sleep thats out of the question Wish the Doc would prescribe some Ambien or something ..But as far as gliding I stand some and sit some (Have the SegSeat) Can't walk to far so the segway is a God Send..Where you located Jersey Girl ...I'm in East Rutherford NJ..If were close mayby a glide together OK
Old 07-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
SegWayne
SegWayne will become famous soon enoughSegWayne will become famous soon enough

Location: On Grandparent tour, currently spoiling Grandchild in Texas
5 yr Member

"Wish the Doc would prescribe some Ambien or something .." ..Tylanol PM, pain relief plus a snooze