SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #21
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

permissions have not been changed - can someone help him?
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #22
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
permissions have not been changed - can someone help him?
Pam
Oh, it works just fine without a title, description, and keywords.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #23
ryan_walters
ryan_walters will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
I can get to the "Edit File Information" panel for that picture, but when I try to change the "blank" title/description/keywords, I get told:

You don't have permission to access this page.

- Click "Continue"
I've always gotten that as well from that page. I don't know what's wrong. Because that doesn't seem to work, I've edited information on already uploaded pictures from this page:

Goto "Photos", "modify my albums", Choose the album on the far right if more than one, otherwise "Edit files".

This will list all pictures in the one selected album. You can move pictures in that album to another album, modify title, description, and keywords. I only use Title and Description in my pictures.

Once changing information on one or more files, click apply modifications at the bottom.

It's easier to set title, and description at time of upload. Right after uploading a file, it will ask you which album to put it into, and give you the option of title, and description right there. You're right though, you don't need title or description.
ryan_walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #24
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_walters View Post
I've always gotten that as well from that page. I don't know what's wrong. Because that doesn't seem to work, I've edited information on already uploaded pictures from this page:

Goto "Photos", "modify my albums", Choose the album on the far right if more than one, otherwise "Edit files".

This will list all pictures in the one selected album. You can move pictures in that album to another album, modify title, description, and keywords. I only use Title and Description in my pictures.

Once changing information on one or more files, click apply modifications at the bottom.
Well sure - that was obvious. Go to "modify my albums".

Just like clicking Start to shut down a Windows PC.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #25
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member
Default Why no "normal"

I uploaded

And the thumb is available

But no "normal". Why not? And how to fix?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:29 AM   #26
ryan_walters

5 yr Member

I imagine that the size of the original picture you uploaded was 288x216? If so, then there's no need for a 'normal' sized version, as the original is 'normal' enough. I always upload larger (higher) resolution pictures, and let the photo gallery scale as it wants. When I upload a 1024x768 (for example) size picture, I always get a thumb, and a 'normal'.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #27
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member
Default Numbers, please

Quote:
I imagine that the size of the original picture you uploaded was 288x216? If so, then there's no need for a 'normal' sized version, as the original is 'normal' enough. I always upload larger (higher) resolution pictures, and let the photo gallery scale as it wants. When I upload a 1024x768 (for example) size picture, I always get a thumb, and a 'normal'.
Oh. Well, that makes sense.

[Although the Coppermine documentation that I consulted says "By default, whenever you upload a file, the script creates both a thumbnail of the file (file name using "thumb_" as its prefix) and an intermediate version of the file(file name using "normal_" as its prefix)."]

I had found (by brief trial-and-error) that I was not allowed to upload a picture wider than some physical size (in inches), so I just reduced this one to make it 4" wide (as I recall) and uploaded it.

Questions for the administrator(s):

Question 1: What is the real (set of) limitations on uploads? Physical size? And/or pixel width? Or length?

Question 2: What's the threshold for getting a "normal"?

It would be really useful to know those settings - and some of them may be server settings, and others Coppermine settings.

==========

So, the instructions for displaying a "viewable size" image inline are to replace "thumb" with "normal" (in the html), and if that doesn't work, then delete "thumb_"
Old 05-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #28
ryan_walters

5 yr Member

In regards to displaying images on a screen, a size in inches means nothing. That would only apply in a desktop publishing type environment where you plan on printing it. Then you have to get into DPI, dithering, half-toneing, etc.

For images primarily intended for display on a monitor, size in pixels is really all that matters. That and with jpeg's, compression levels. Any program should let you specify a size in pixels while saving.

I don't know exactly what the limits are, but I know 2048kb (2 meg) is a size limit. There may be a width / height limit (in pixels) as well, I'm not sure.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #29
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
In regards to displaying images on a screen, a size in inches means nothing. That would only apply in a desktop publishing type environment where you plan on printing it. Then you have to get into DPI, dithering, half-toneing, etc.
Sure. But I inferred (incorrectly) that the limit was in inches, and then the software automatically created a "normal" with some sort of default dimensions (in pixels, of course). My mistake - but with no "published" information, how would I know? The only "documentation" in this thread refers to the "thumb" and "normal" images, and links to the uploaded image. One could reasonably "assume" that Coppermine would take care of the details in some uniform fashion.

Quote:
For images primarily intended for display on a monitor, size in pixels is really all that matters. That and with jpeg's, compression levels. Any program should let you specify a size in pixels while saving.

I don't know exactly what the limits are, but I know 2048kb (2 meg) is a size limit. There may be a width / height limit (in pixels) as well, I'm not sure.
My programs all let me specify the size in pixels. So, I'm asking what to specify, and what effects there are, and so forth.

Thanks for the information on the 2048kb limit. But...

I am now reasonably certain that there is a width and/or height limit of some sort. At least as it relates to whether a "normal" is generated.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #30
Skinnee D
Skinnee D is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Pic Limit

What is the limit on uploading photos? Is it 2 or 4 meg? I've tried to upload between 2.08MB and 2.12 MB photos but is says 0 uploaded successfully. I'm gonna resize but just looking for info.
Skinnee D is offline   Reply With Quote