SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > In the News

Notices

In the News All of the latest Segway-related news.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Good to see them wearing the InfoKeys as wrist watches.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Yes yes, lets all pile on Gihgehls because he liked the picture and said he was surprised at one aspect.

Karl and Bob, I can appreciate your own personal anecdotes about traction. Perhaps you can also appreciate that you are both old guys who don't need to push their machines in order to do your jobs.

I've never been to Ireland, but I heard it is cold and wet. Colder and wetter than MA, and definitely colder and wetter than CA. IRC SNow tires are better than stock in every way except as Karl points out, they have the ability to mark

Now my personal annecdote about traction. I use to play Segway polo. I played with Woz. Half the mileage on my i167 was clocked on a polo field. The other half was spent testing the limits in as many situations as possible and giving myself bruises and a scuffed up handlebar bag. I tested EVERYTHING. Panic stops in wet grass, climbing two inch curb cuts submerged in a muddy puddle (that's a tricky one to do, especially at low speed), splashing around in water up to my ankles, climbing DIRT inclines at 45 degrees, jumping down curbs, jumping UP curbs, sudden turns in wet grass, on wet pavement, on puddles with leaves in them. I've done it all. And the IRC tires made all of them better.

The only thing the stock tire has over the IRC is that it doesn't mark. IIRC it is also more expensive and less available.

But please, don't let me stop you enjoying the fun of your bone stock segways (oh that's right, neither of you have stock segways) :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 11-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Gihgehls,

The only problem I have with IRCs is they have nowhere near the range. The rolling resistance is terrible on them.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Jeff, that's a very good point. I do find myself running them a little more inflated than normal to compensate.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 11-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Yes yes, lets all pile on Gihgehls because he liked the picture and said he was surprised at one aspect.

Karl and Bob, I can appreciate your own personal anecdotes about traction. Perhaps you can also appreciate that you are both old guys who don't need to push their machines in order to do your jobs.

I've never been to Ireland, but I heard it is cold and wet. Colder and wetter than MA, and definitely colder and wetter than CA. IRC SNow tires are better than stock in every way except as Karl points out, they have the ability to mark

Now my personal annecdote about traction. I use to play Segway polo. I played with Woz. Half the mileage on my i167 was clocked on a polo field. The other half was spent testing the limits in as many situations as possible and giving myself bruises and a scuffed up handlebar bag. I tested EVERYTHING. Panic stops in wet grass, climbing two inch curb cuts submerged in a muddy puddle (that's a tricky one to do, especially at low speed), splashing around in water up to my ankles, climbing DIRT inclines at 45 degrees, jumping down curbs, jumping UP curbs, sudden turns in wet grass, on wet pavement, on puddles with leaves in them. I've done it all. And the IRC tires made all of them better.

The only thing the stock tire has over the IRC is that it doesn't mark. IIRC it is also more expensive and less available.

But please, don't let me stop you enjoying the fun of your bone stock segways (oh that's right, neither of you have stock segways) :P
You clearly have decided that your choice of how you use your segways is germane to how these users will use theirs...

I asked right away, if you were aware of any municipalities or commercial users who use non-OEM tires?

You can decide that you know better than the engineers at Segway Corporate, who came up with the Michelins that they use. You have decided that the IRCs are an 'upgrade'. The vast majority of users have not decided as you have. Being in the majority does not automatically make you the owner of what is right, but neither does being Gihgehls automatically make you right.

I went to the only two tires that the factory offers as being the 'upgrade' possible tires, and you have done nothing other than state your personal experience as reasons that you can personally define 'upgrade' over the factory, yet I do not think you mentioned how you are aware of their research, (as you did mention your own) and you clearly are not aware of my research (but you did say that yours is valid and my use of segways over the years is not as valid as yours)...

And I might point out, I never said that IRCs are not upgraded tires, just that your statement does not prove them to be. I have said that upgrade is a term that is subjective, and I maintain that it is.

I am glad that you like the IRCs. I have no experience with them, but I am happy with the tires I have. I am just not at all willing to look at a picture of police in another country and state that I am surprised to see they did not call me to chose a tire that is not factory spec, but I feel is an 'upgrade'.

As to your justification that Police are more likely to fall and embarrass themselves if they use tires that the factory says are appropriate, than tires you have deemed are 'upgraded', I have not seen enough evidence to agree with you. I have heard your testimony. It appears to me that you have used your machine very much outside of its normal and expected and what many would consider reasonable parameters, and you yourself have said you have suffered bruises to prove it. I submit that if these police follow your lead, and use their segways as you allege you have used yours, they will also suffer similar bruises. That may be an embarrassment to them.

I know you feel your opinion is more valid than mine. You have stated so. Good for you. I am glad you like your tires as I like mine. You seem to have forgotten that I sold after market tires for segways for a couple years, and have a bit of familiarity with them as well. That is fine and good.

I hope you have fewer bruises in the future, and continue to enjoy your tires.

Have a nice day.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #16
Gihgehls

5 yr Member

too much written about something not worthwhile. OMFG Karl, I just posted a freaking comment on a freaking picture on the damn internet. If I wanted this level of discourse, I'd go to Youtube comments!!

Anyway, I skimmed your novel above. If you can still find Michelin segway tires I'd be surprised. When they offered those, they also offered and "upgraded traction" tire called an ETT. Neither of them are available from Segway Inc....

I'm still amazed that you would write a high-school length paper picking apart one word I used to comment on a silly picture. And I'm a little amazed that I'm amazed. I should be used to this by now

Last edited by Gihgehls; 11-04-2012 at 03:00 AM..
Old 11-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
too much written about something not worthwhile. OMFG Karl, I just posted a freaking comment on a freaking picture on the damn internet. If I wanted this level of discourse, I'd go to Youtube comments!!

Anyway, I skimmed your novel above. If you can still find Michelin segway tires I'd be surprised. When they offered those, they also offered and "upgraded traction" tire called an ETT. Neither of them are available from Segway Inc....

I'm still amazed that you would write a high-school length paper picking apart one word I used to comment on a silly picture. And I'm a little amazed that I'm amazed. I should be used to this by now
Don't be amazed. I enjoy holding you accountable to the things you say, and then watching you wiggle about how little what you said actually said means. You are right, your silly comment and it's overblown justification are not of much worth. I agree with you.

You should also not be amazed at how I like to pontificate. I enjoy it. Some might say that my post count exemplifies it. No, wait, I suspect that was something else you said at some point. Oh well.

Have a nice day.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
Gihgehls

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
You clearly have decided that your choice of how you use your segways is germane to how these users will use theirs...
I only think that a cop's usage is going to be a bit beyond what a tour does.

Quote:
I asked right away, if you were aware of any municipalities or commercial users who use non-OEM tires?
Why don't you look it up yourself? Oh wait, you don't look it up because your motivation is to watch me squirm, not to seek the truth. Ventura County Sherrifs don't use stock tires.

Quote:
You can decide that you know better than the engineers at Segway Corporate, who came up with the Michelins that they use. You have decided that the IRCs are an 'upgrade'.
You're an idiot. If you can find a Michelin on your i2, I'll take that back and say I'm sorry. Besides, Segway Corporate (not a real company) didn't come up with Michelins, that's why they say "Michelin" on the side.

Quote:
The vast majority of users have not decided as you have. Being in the majority does not automatically make you the owner of what is right, but neither does being Gihgehls automatically make you right.
Being Gihgehls means I know what is right for me. Being an average human being means there are many people who MIGHT think as I do.

Quote:
I went to the only two tires that the factory offers as being the 'upgrade' possible tires, and you have done nothing other than state your personal experience as reasons that you can personally define 'upgrade' over the factory, yet I do not think you mentioned how you are aware of their research, (as you did mention your own) and you clearly are not aware of my research (but you did say that yours is valid and my use of segways over the years is not as valid as yours)...
Not sure what to make of this. I know you created your own custom upgrade tire. Did you do this because you found the factory michelin to be perfectly adequate?!

Quote:
And I might point out, I never said that IRCs are not upgraded tires, just that your statement does not prove them to be. I have said that upgrade is a term that is subjective, and I maintain that it is.
So what you're saying is that rather than agree with me, you'd like to point out how I'm wrong. Real mature, big guy.

Quote:
I am glad that you like the IRCs. I have no experience with them, but I am happy with the tires I have.
I'd be surprised if anything made you happy. You have no experience, but can still call me wrong (for stating how I felt!), got it. No, no, makes perfect sense.

Quote:
I am just not at all willing to look at a picture of police in another country and state that I am surprised to see they did not call me to chose a tire that is not factory spec, but I feel is an 'upgrade'.
You're putting words in my mouth to make my argument look stupid. But you look stupid as a result. I never said they should call me. I just said I was surprised. It's a statement of how I feel, only a bully would try to invalidate that. I'm sure the fine folks in Ireland know what is best for them. All I did was write a single sentence. Now look at me write a novel to defend myself against a bully.

Quote:
As to your justification that Police are more likely to fall and embarrass themselves if they use tires that the factory says are appropriate, than tires you have deemed are 'upgraded', I have not seen enough evidence to agree with you. I have heard your testimony.
Now hear what Segway Inc. has to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segway
However, to prevent the loss of traction, you must always be careful when riding and learn to identify and avoid slippery, icy, or wet surfaces, loose materials (sand/gravel),steep slopes, and obstacles. Stop and step off your Segway PT and use Riderless Balance Mode to move your Segway PT over unsafe surfaces or terrain.
Sounds like the Ireland cops didn't read the manual. Or perhaps it is the factory that doesn't know what is best for Ireland.

Quote:
It appears to me that you have used your machine very much outside of its normal and expected and what many would consider reasonable parameters, and you yourself have said you have suffered bruises to prove it.
I submit that if these police follow your lead, and use their segways as you allege you have used yours, they will also suffer similar bruises. That may be an embarrassment to them.
The reason we fall is so we can learn to pick ourselves back up. The reason you learn to fall off your segway is so that you can understand for yourself what works for you, not what the factory or anyone else tells you is good for you.

Quote:
I know you feel your opinion is more valid than mine.
Well at least I put some thought into mine.
Quote:
You have stated so. Good for you.
No I didn't.
Quote:
I am glad you like your tires as I like mine. You seem to have forgotten that I sold after market tires for segways for a couple years, and have a bit of familiarity with them as well. That is fine and good.
How could I forget when you take every opportunity to tell us how you imported chinese tires and resold them to americans.

Quote:
I hope you have fewer bruises in the future, and continue to enjoy your tires.

Have a nice day.
I know you're not genuine when you tell me to have a nice day. I can genuinely tell you that I feel bad for you and everyone who has to deal with you on a daily basis. From the way you approach situations, I can sincerely state that I fear for the minds of your children, and I hope your wife has a better head on her shoulders than her husband.

So please, if you can, show me those Michelins baby. Karl, I DARE you to show me your i2's Michelins. If you can, I'll eat my boot.

Last edited by Gihgehls; 11-04-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:

Oh, good grief, you're right because you're young?

I understand WHY you like the IRCs. My point is that those benefits are NOT NECESSARY in the vast majority of usage scenarios -- including for law enforcement, who, unlike what you see in movies, do not spend all their time running after bad guys.

I have no problem with any LEO that decides they do face challenges that justify the downsides of the IRC. I own them, on their own dedicated rims, precisely to give myself that option.

And you have no idea how hard I push my Segway. And, except for the kickstand, it *is* stock. Again, you're being clueless in your counter-attack.

The reason you're getting this level of response, is because both Karl and I view your comment as being YouTube quality. We're just injecting a bit of perspective into the matter.

Neither of us are knocking the IRC tires. But cops that choose not to use them do not deserve your ridicule for their choice.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
KSagal

okay Gihgehls,

I mentioned Michelins in my post #15, which quoted your post # 12, which is where you went on at length about how you spend 1/2 your time on your I167 playing polo with Woz, and the other half riding hard and dangerous in slippery or places that seem to be exactly where the factory told you not to glide.

Read it yourself, if you forgot what you said with your young brain, but since you said you made the decision to go to your IRC tires, you were on your I167, which uses Michelin tires! I may be mistaken, but I believe the ETT tires of that time were also Michelin tires.

I do not believe I said that i2 segways use Michelins. At least my old brain does not recall saying so.

How is it that my holding you accountable for what you actually said is being a bully, yet you calling me an idiot for something that you feel I said but did not, is not being a bully yourself.

As far as you bringing in my family into this debate, it is way off limits, and way beyond your league. An apology will be accepted for a short time, and then no more mention of my family will be made by you. This is not a request, it is something that you will comply with.

Please do have a nice day. Please do not ride as you have said will get you more bruised up.