SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
luckie
luckie will become famous soon enoughluckie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Question Yike Bike is more a concept than real

I believe Yike Bike is more a concept than real solution. I predict they only really "work" on a nice flat surface. This is ignoring they cost $6000, don't balance themselves, and the back wheel is like only 6 inches in diameter. Wouldn't any typical bump be a disaster? Perhaps I'm missing something here.
Michigan State University
The Segway Gallery ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckie View Post
I believe Yike Bike is more a concept than real solution. I predict they only really "work" on a nice flat surface. This is ignoring they cost $6000, don't balance themselves, and the back wheel is like only 6 inches in diameter. Wouldn't any typical bump be a disaster? Perhaps I'm missing something here.
Your predictions are off. The yike bike youtube channel shows it going over slatted wooden bridges and medium sized potholes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckie View Post
.... Wouldn't any typical bump be a disaster? Perhaps I'm missing something here.
Perhaps several teeth?

I have seen the Yike handling some rough terrain, but a video with a professional driver usually always make it look easy... I have seen some folks doing stuff on segways, and making it look easy, that I do not do... (Like 2 foot drops)

I suspect that it can handle some different levels of surface, depending on your experience level, just like other devices...

For me, the question is not what it can handle in its extreme, but what is comfortable and reasonable to navigate, and tiny wheels are not usually conducive do most outdoor realistic environments...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi Segway Family

After posting this, I realized, as someone else mentioned, that the Yike Bike wouldn't be good for carrying anything other than one's self. I feel much safer on a Segway in the streets of NYC.

Re. the legality of electric bikes, as mentioned, I think that they're not as easily detected as something like a Segway, which is obviously not a bike. A Yike Bike would stand out slightly as 'unique,' but I'd bet that if it zipped by, it would be seen as a variation of a folding bike.

That said, I've returned to my senses. I love and will keep my Segway. Yaay!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks, SegwayDan. People like you make this forum so pleasant.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #16
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
Thanks, SegwayDan. People like you make this forum so pleasant.
I can say the same for you!

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 02-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #17
emrnyc
emrnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Now....

Now lets work on the mayor and the city concil....

Quote:
Hi Segway Family

After posting this, I realized, as someone else mentioned, that the Yike Bike be good for carrying anything other than one's self. I feel much safer on a Segway in the streets of NYC.

Re. the legality of electric bikes, as mentioned, I think that they're not as easily detected as something like a Segway, which is obviously not a bike. A Yike Bike would stand out slightly as 'unique,' but I'd bet that if it zipped by, it would be seen as a variation of a folding bike.

NYC's Only Segway Trained Level 1 & Level 2 Service Tech

8 EMS - 37 PAPD - 23 NYPD - 343 FDNY
Never forget our Brother & Sister Heroes 9/11/01.
It was not how they died that made them heroes.....
It was how they lived!

Check out Emergency Medical Rescue of New York City's website
Old 02-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hi Segway Family

After posting this, I realized, as someone else mentioned, that the Yike Bike wouldn't be good for carrying anything other than one's self. I feel much safer on a Segway in the streets of NYC.

Good to have you back... I was not sure you left!

If it will make you feel better, I am sure I can have Martin make up a small wheel, maybe 6 inches in diameter, that you could drag along behind you... Then you can tell everyone you have a Yike segway.... Maybe a Yegway?

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Good to have you back... I was not sure you left!

If it will make you feel better, I am sure I can have Martin make up a small wheel, maybe 6 inches in diameter, that you could drag along behind you... Then you can tell everyone you have a Yike segway.... Maybe a Yegway?

Or even a Segike, depending on if the small wheel is at the front or the back.

Although it's clearly not a Segway, it is not all bad. For a start, how many people have you seen putting a Segway into a bag and carrying it into a building over their shoulder? The Yike weighs less than a quarter of a Segway. Of course the batteries will only get you 10km but I think the Segway, even in its lightest i2 form, is suffering from terminal SUVitis- every single part is much heavier than it needs to be. My number 1 priority for an I3 would be to cut the weight to under 30Kg. Once you start lightening components, the effects work synergistically. A lighter platform results in lighter gearboxes and lighter wheels. These can then have lighter motors and less power so you can get away with lighter batteries. This might mean you can make the other components lighter again. That's why the Tesla is based on a Lotus Elise which weighs under 800kg in petrol engined form. Once you Tesla-ise it, a lot of the components have to get a great deal fatter to deal with the extra weight, but it's still lighter than if it had been based on a more conventional chassis. Colin Chapman's design philosophy was to design too light and add weight to the components that broke. This is what led to Lotus's period of Grand Prix domination, even if Chapman's ideal racing car was one that disintegrated as it crossed the finish line!

Yike are planning free demos at the Gadget Show in Birmingham in April and I really hope that Segway manage to be there also- although they're competitors, they also need to work together to open up the legislative space they both need in a lot of countries.

One of their videos even shows a rider sitting deliberately too far forward and being tipped off the front- the modern high tech equivalent of 'Taking a header' on a penny farthing. Even the round the back handlebars were first seen on penny farthings to reduce the consequences of the header. So the layout, and it's problems are very similar. At least with the backward bars he lands on his feet.

Personally, although I would love to try one, I will stick to a Seg, although I suppose you could always put a bracket on a Seg to carry a folded Yike as as sort of spare wheel.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #20
KSagal

You say SUV as if it is a bad thing... I don't feel the same at all...

As with all things, you can build them to the lowest common denominator, or to the highest one...

I don’t agree with your analysis for the lightest and then build heavier where you break… That may work with race cars, but I don’t think it will work with consumer products… Once a product gets a reputation for being easily broken, it is very hard to get past that…

Next, I weigh about 210 pounds, and my naked segway weighs about 120 pounds… At any given point, I am likely to be carrying about 10 to 15 pounds of junk. (treasures all, I am sure)

So, if the payload is already 2 times the weight of the machine, then removing 30 or 40 pounds may seem great, but the overall load will only reduce by 10% or so, if you could possibly do that…

Now, you have a severely reduced performance in your effort to shave 10% off…

In the case of a car, which may weigh 2000 pound, and carry my same 210 pounds with 15 pounds of designer crapola, the ratios are very different… Save 30% off the weight of the car, and you have reduced the payload by almost 30%... A pound for pound savings… (I might point out that electric propulsion systems are often heavier than the internal combustion propulsion systems they replace)

Next, consider that my center of balance and weight is very high, above my waist. Many men carry a great deal of weight in their chest, so the torque requirements on the base of the segway, at the motors, a full meter or more below my center of weight, is quite large… In essence, the segway is spending a great deal of its energy compensating for me, moving me.

A car, with the weight to vehicle to driver ratio so different, spends that far greater amount of its energy moving itself around… It matters much less if I am there or not. Relatively speaking, it spends a small amount of its energy compensating for me, moving me…

So, I do not agree with your conclusions. I believe that while they may make sense in other environments, their application here is far less effective…