SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
Deuce
Deuce

5 yr Member
Default Battery charging from an inverter?

I will be carrying my XT's in the lower compartments of my motorhome with the control shaft unhooked. Can I keep them pluged into my 110V electrical service to keep them charged? Does the control shaft have to be connected while charging? Will it be OK to charge them from my inverter? It is a Xantrex 2000 watt inverter. Most of the places I camp do not have electric hookups.
Thanks,
Bob
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #2
inventor
inventor

5 yr Member

ya see fellows, just not ready for prime time

....for as long as I can STAND....
inventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by inventor

ya see fellows, just not ready for prime time

Not so fast. If you camp in places without ac power, and you say you have an inverter, than you must have a genny.

My LIOn's will go a day or two off the charger and are as good as new .

Fire up the genset and away you go. No gen than inverter and charge while under way.

I've done this on my boat many times. Where there is a will there is a way.

Just be aware that any inverter will kill a battery fast, but with your Motor Coach you should do fine.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Deuce
Deuce

5 yr Member

Just be aware that any inverter will kill a battery fast, but with your Motor Coach you should do fine

I only need to run the Genny about an hour an a half a day to keep the batteries charged. I run the inverter 24/7. Is it OK to charge the XT's with the control stick unpluged? I'll need to put them back in the bays for security reasons during the night.
Thanks,
Bob
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:36 AM   #5
inventor
inventor

5 yr Member

Ok, what if a good winter storm takes out my power in Montana and the service can't be restored for a month? While I am stoking up the bot belly and hanging my game in the tool shed my 5000 dollar scooter is killing off this weeks profit in pelts. now I am thinking to myself, cause nobody else is around... not ready for prime time.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:08 AM   #6
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

look, I don't know how YOU did it but YOU killed your XT. I've left mine off power and no problems.

I can't remember, were you the guy that drilled into the gearcase ? I's hard to remember bot I know this< you killed you xt.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:13 AM   #7
Tarkus

Dude, just did a search, it was you that drilled the hole into you Seg. And you think it's them...........

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topi...7&SearchTerms=,

Old 02-13-2006, 03:22 AM   #8
inventor
inventor

5 yr Member

holes in the crank case can be easily done by turning your seg on its side and dropping it on the ground. the wheel shaft will knock a quarter size hole in the inner wall as the wheel strikes. this is a shipping problem for segway as well. but we are not talking about shipping damage or gear box construction, dudes just not going to be tethered this week and wants to know how long he gets before the Lions die.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:26 AM   #9
Tarkus

Nope never your fault.........call a lawyer, they live for people who never accept blame.

Shipping, thats not how you told it.

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topi...7&SearchTerms=,

Old 02-13-2006, 03:30 AM   #10
inventor
inventor

5 yr Member

Two years ago we recieve a powerbase, (Gearboxes, Chassis and Electronics) that was dropped in shipping. The same failure occured. The output shaft punched through the inside wall of the gearbox. The design was never intended to support shock loads in that direction.

My concern is not that your repair won’t work. I think your fix will prevent any other material from being ingested by the gearbox. However, if a piece of material broke off on the inside, that chunk of material could get lodged between the teeth of the gears and cause the box to suddenly lock up on one side. There is no way to determine if this would be an issue with out opening the gear box and purging the oil and flushing the gears.