SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default Why join if you don't like Segways?

Let's push this question around using this thread instead of the e-bike thread that is currently getting derailed.

Why would a person that doesn't think Segways have any value compared to a bicycle join a Segway discussion group?

Why would a person that thinks Fords are the best cars join a Chevy group?

Why would someone that doesn't like NPR pledge?

I have ridden lots of bikes, I have ridden in many charity events. I have biked around Lake Tahoe. I am not anti bike!

I don't understand why when cars, motorcycles, horses are brought up on this forum we don't hear from lovers of those modes transportation that our Segways are flawed in comparison.

My point in the previous discussion was not meant as an attack on having or voicing an opinion, but an attack on voicing an opinion that is not on the general "Pro Segway" topic.

It would not bother me at all in a bike forum for a person to post "Segway owners are losers, they should get bikes instead." I would fight for their right to say it in a place where people are interested.

I surf this forum by using the "New Posts" feature. I just don't like clicking on a link, and finding out it is once again someone that doesn't have anything nice to say about my hobby "poking me in the eye"

Why post in a HO train forum that O-Gauge is better? Why post on a Cessna forum that only Pipers are worth flying?

My mother used to say "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"

If you don't enjoy Segways, please keep your opinion to yourself and find a group of people that are like minded.

If you continue to post on a Segway forum that bicycles are better than Segways, you are a troll.

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Well said.

I like bikes too. I ride bikes. But I do not go to bike forums and post how segways are better. I am many things, but I am not a troll.

Some on this forum have posted that John M keeps us somehow more realistic, because if we post anything too absurd, he will trash it. I disagree. If we post that we like to glide around on our segways, he will post that is absurd, and trash it.

Case in point. Someone said that the segway is a transportation device (abbreviated from the original) and JohnM could not help but try to indicate that bikes are superior. It is his opinion, but it is not germane on a segway enthusiast forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

All I said was the Segway is just as much of a B/R/U/T tool as a bicycle.
John M felt the need to post a picture of himself and a bicycle as evidence that my statement was false.

If he thinks his rickety old rusty bicycle is any better of a BRUT tool than a Segway, he can go to a biking forum and tell them all about it.

Like Karl said, I don't go to the Android forums saying my iPhone is batter than their Galaxy S4.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #4
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
All I said was the Segway is just as much of a B/R/U/T tool as a bicycle.
John M felt the need to post a picture of himself and a bicycle as evidence that my statement was false.

If he thinks his rickety old rusty bicycle is any better of a BRUT tool than a Segway, he can go to a biking forum and tell them all about it.

Like Karl said, I don't go to the Android forums saying my iPhone is batter than their Galaxy S4.
Considering the fact that I own an S3, and my company phone is an S4, you couldn't say it, but that is beside the point.

JohnM is here because he enjoys trying to take the wind out of the sails of people here. Some people have that kind of need in their life.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Considering the fact that I own an S3, and my company phone is an S4, you couldn't say it, but that is beside the point.

JohnM is here because he enjoys trying to take the wind out of the sails of people here. Some people have that kind of need in their life.

Oops........
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I read this today on Slashdot…

Quote:
"Chris Mooney reports at Slate that research conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba confirmed that people who engage in internet trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others). In the study, trolls were identified in a variety of ways. One was by simply asking survey participants what they 'enjoyed doing most' when on online comment sites, offering five options: 'debating issues that are important to you,' 'chatting with others,' 'making new friends,' 'trolling others,' and 'other.' The study recruited participants from Amazon's Mechanical Turk website and two measures of sadistic personality were administered (PDF): the Short Sadistic Impulse Scale and the Varieties of Sadistic Tendencies Scale. Only 5.6 percent of survey respondents actually specified that they enjoyed 'trolling.' By contrast, 41.3 percent of Internet users were 'non-commenters,' meaning they didn't like engaging online at all. So trolls are, as has often been suspected, a minority of online commenters, and an even smaller minority of overall Internet users. Overall, the authors found that the relationship between sadism and trolling was the strongest, and that indeed, sadists appear to troll because they find it pleasurable. 'Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others. Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!' The study comes as websites are increasingly weighing steps to rein in trollish behavior but the study authors aren't sure that fix is a realistic one. 'Because the behaviors are intrinsically motivating for sadists, comment moderators will likely have a difficult time curbing trolling with punishments (e.g., banning users),' says Buckels. 'Ultimately, the allure of trolling may be too strong for sadists, who presumably have limited opportunities to express their sadistic interests in a socially-desirable manner.' Perhaps posting rights should only be unlocked if you pass a test."

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Default I welcome opinions that differ from mine.

From time to time it appears to me that we segway fanboys get carried away with with patting our self's on the back. On occasion JohnM will enter a well placed comment to let a little of the hot air out of the discussion.
I welcome these chances to double check my opinion and to be sure I've considered all aspects. I don't consider this rude or troll like behavior.
I welcome the change of outlook he brings to this board.

to Diversity

"I'm virtually certain that my avatar is real or really certain that it's virtual.... Or vice versa,"
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
KSagal

I wonder what we should call a person who describes them self as a segway supporter, yet all of the supporters of him here do so, saying that he is not a supporter, but instead is a check and balance. All of the supporters here that I have read seem to say that his best feature and contribution here is that he "lets the hot air out of the discussion" or words to that effect.

I feel he is a troll, but there are surely some here who feel that his antagonist behavior is welcome. I maintain that being appreciated does not make him not a troll, but that there are some here who prefer someone else to keep them in check, or someone to play devil's advocate.

In this case, I believe he is not playing devil's advocate however, as he is not playing a role, as would be required for that position. My understanding of that position is that you choose to present the opposite of your normal perspective, in an effort at objectiveness.

My ability to keep myself in check set aside, I do not come here to hear anti segway positions, nor to hear how bicycles are superior to segways. There are many other places to hear perspectives like that. I come here to hear how segway enthusiasts feel about things. I share my perspectives here to see how others who share my passions about segways feel. I can guess how people who do not value what I value will respond, and if I want to explore that, I would go to the appropriate places.

I feel I understand JohnM and his motivations. I wonder of the dynamics of people who feel the need for others, who clearly do not share their passions, to let out their hot air.

Anyone who pays any attention to me at all knows that I love to bloviate, am completely happy to puff up on my own hot air for extended periods, and have no desire to have someone who does not see segways as I see them tell me how much better other conveyances are...

Last edited by KSagal; 02-15-2014 at 11:46 PM..
Old 02-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I really need to start making copies of my posts. It stinks to put a lot of thought into a post (SuperPosting doesn't come naturally to me) and then have mods delete it.

I am a member of some an iPhone community and a member of an Android community. The iPhone community (being centered around one product) hates hearing about things an Android does better than an iPhone. However, the Android community (not having a single product to focus on, but a breadth of phones/tablets/computers all with their own pros and cons) is more welcoming of the idea that one thing might do something better than another thing. They don't get bent out of shape when someone shares their experience with an iPhone, because their whole identity isn't wrapped up in this one thing, but rather a whole idea of an open system available to anybody to put on any mobile device.

There are Android fans who drool over Apple's hardware, but are turned off by the OS. They understand that "superior" really means "superior for me" and are open to hearing about other possibilities.

I'm a fan of individual transportation, and I very much enjoy hearing about what else is out there, including bikes. The most interesting posts on this forum for me are NOT segway-related posts. My favorites are posts from Segway owners, writing about things like the Ryno, the solowheel, the yike bike, pedal assist, you name it. Anyone with a Segway had to seriously invest in it, and so I take them more seriously when they talk about other electric transport. John clearly made a good recommendation to a member here for a pedal-assist bike. That's a contribution in my book. A really high ratio of contribution:hot air IMO.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man

Last edited by Gihgehls; 02-18-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

This topic has come up before over the years. I maintain that if JohnM is not breaking any of the forum rules, he is fine being here.

I hate when posts are deleted.

I think to only have pro Segway folk on the forum who think everything is rosy is missing a big part of the debate.

Sure, he might challenge our thoughts or points of view but since when was that a bad idea?