SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #21
dl1955
dl1955 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Does anyone know the weight limit of the Mini Pro?

Just found the limit. 220lb.

Last edited by dl1955; 05-29-2016 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: found info
dl1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #22
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

It appears that the Segway Mini Pro is now officially available for pre-order at Amazon.com.

$999. Ships on June 29 2016. Black and white color options.

https://www.amazon.com/Segway-miniPR...dp/B019Z6HS86/
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #23
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl1955 View Post
Does anyone know the weight limit of the Mini Pro?

Just found the limit. 220lb.
According to the Amazon page, it looks like Segway's recommended max weight is 185 lbs.
"accommodate riders of up to 185 lbs"

The 220 lbs figure could be the absolute maximum?
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #24
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Wow, I didn't realize the weight limit was so low, but after checking, I found the 185 lb figure mentioned in the manual and on the official web site in addition to the Amazon posting. Considering that's not even enough for the average American male, and I'm a little, shall we say, "above average," I may have just lost interest in this product.

Even the cheapo hoverboard I bought has a higher weight limit.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #25
BenBethel
BenBethel is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Just ordered 2 - what's the difference between Amazon and ebay?

I'm a former owner of 4 Segways over the years... but that was years and years ago. I always said the original should have been under $2K, then inching closer to $1K in order to drive mass adoption, plus there should have been built-in lighting, a retractable lock, and a retractable power cord. This doesn't hit all of those items, but I'm so excited that the pricing is down to $999, so I ordered 2 yesterday and look forward to having them arrive in a month or so!

With that said, there are a decent number of listings on ebay for units that are showing up for $499 and up... what's the difference between these two units? They look similar (the wheels/tires are slightly different) so I'm not too sure. Wanting the 'latest and greatest', I'm going for the Amazon ones and will stick with them.

The lower-priced units that are similar (even controlled with the same app) give me hope that we'll be seeing these units get closer and closer to $500 one day... maybe not this year, but I bet by November 2017, especially as battery prices are dropping steadily.

Am glad to be back in the Segway world! I really missed my Segs, worked hard to get them adopted and accepted here in Arizona, and fondly remember the days of riding 3 miles to work, right into the office building, then into the elevator right to my cubicle. Then, after buying a hotel I would still ride them to work all the time. I was a version 1.0 turbo-nerd.

With this newer Ninebot Mini, I'm so glad to see the marketing shifted to a more radically acceptable marketing model... I'd like to see more visual statements for disabled individuals, as I think the community of people living with disabilities can really be the shot needed for widespread adoption and acceptance. Sure, anyone can ride an electric wheelchair anywhere but most people don't want to unless they need to.... but this is different... but I'd hate for the previous anti-Segway and current anti-hoverboard fear-filled zealots to be up in arms over something that's truly a wonderful product that solves real-world problems.

Take care everyone, it's great to be back!!!
Ben

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BenBethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #26
DCTenor1
DCTenor1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Cool The miniPRO has wooed me back

Hi everyone - another long-time SegwayChat member here, although I haven't posted in a while. I purchased my i2 in 2007 to get around DC, but sold it back to the dealer in 2012 after I moved outside the city limits and it just became too inconvenient to use it to get into the city.

I've since played around with a lot of other transportation technologies, including Bionx pedal-assist on my bike (love!), the OneWheel (really really fun but not super practical as a commuting tool), and those generic "hoverboards" out of China (the ones that like to explode).

I sold my tiny little hoverboard because although it was fun to use inside, the mechanism by which you control it just didn't work well at high speed - aka anything over about 6 mph. Since the two foot pedals operated independently, it gave great maneuverability at low speed - witness all the celebrity dance videos -but at high speed it was incredibly difficult to keep equal pressure on both pedals. The end result was that the device would tend to spin out of control at high speeds, bucking you off.

I always felt this design flaw could be easily fixed with a simple firmware update: If, as the device started moving faster, the footpads became less sensitive to pressure, it would have become usable at high speed. Alas, because it wasn't - and because I was basically only using it to goof off inside - I sold it to a buddy and longed for something better to come along.

That's why, for the first time in years, I'm actually considering picking up a Segway again. I've moved back into the city, and my commute would be about 5 miles. I would never spend money on a new Segway i2 -- it's just too expensive, and the tech is so outdated. The Ninebot Elite is pretty neat, a good update to the i2, but it's still pretty expensive. So I'm really looking forward to the Mini Pro, which solves the problems of the hoverboard. Lean steer is definitely the way to go. I'm a little wary about the size of the tires; 10 inches compared to the i2's 19 inches -- I worry about traction and stability and the ability to go over the kinds of bumps and cracks you find on your typical city sidewalk. But I'm intrigued enough - and optimistic enough - to pre-order one for $999 on Amazon.

If it doesn't live up to the hype, I'll return it. But I hope I don't have to.

It's good to be back!

Last edited by DCTenor1; 06-08-2016 at 01:41 PM..
DCTenor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #27
SegNerd

5 yr Member

The pre-order is live on Amazon.

For the time being, I personally just can't justify the cost, but I'd like to hear about others' experiences once it starts shipping.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #28
BenBethel
BenBethel is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Only a few more weeks...

Looks like my expected arrival date is 7/6 for my two units. I'm betting about $100 of the cost is in shipping, another $50 or so in all the packaging and packing materials and printed materials. I'm content with the price, but am confused at what's different between the ebay models for about 1/2 the cost and this model. Still, with Amazon I'll have 30 days to see if this is a good product or not and can return within that time frame if I don't think they're quality products. Hopefully this will see wider adoption - we just have some PR work to do in order to differentiate them from the fire risks associated with hoverboards...

Thanks/Ben

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BenBethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #29
SegNerd

5 yr Member

I didn't mean I think it's too expensive... I just need to focus on other financial priorities right now.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #30
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Concerned But Purchased

DCTenor1 - Reading your post was like reading my own story, almost.

I bought a used 2008 Segway i2. One battery died about 2 years ago, and I couldn't reason spending $1K to replace it since I haven't used it.

I love my Segway, but I used to have a job that allowed it in the bike room. My current job doesn't.

I have been gliding along on the i2 when the sidewalk suddenly got uncomfortably crowded. Twice, it either wouldn't start or wouldn't turn off. So I really want something that I can just pick up or stroll alongside me.

After pondering about the MiniPro, I called Segway to basically ask them to tell me why I should buy it from Amazon vs. a local dealer. They made it clear that the discounted price was temporary and the release would be weeks ahead of local dealers. 'Nuff said. I pre-ordered.
While excited, I am concerned about it being mistaken for a hoverboard (like BenBethel mentioned), so I am buying it knowing that it may end up being just a toy rather than transportation. We'll see.

This new safety certification may get things moving.
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote