SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Maiden Voyage Of My New I2SE

My wife and I took a trip to neighboring New Hampshire for an over night shopping/road trip.We loaded up the Segway in the back of her Q5 which was very easy since I have the cargo bars.The Leansteer fit perfectly facing forward with the back seat armrest folded down.We drove to North Conway (about 2 1/2 hous away) and parked at Settler's Green which is a nice outlet mall shopping area surrounded by mountains.We had been there many times and over the last couple of years I have found it difficult to keep up with my wife due to mobility challenges (MS).The last time we went, I brought a mobility scooter which got me around okay but was uncomfortable due to the small hard plastic wheels.In fact,I had the battery come loose going over a bumpy uneven surface which rendered the scooter inoperative until we put the battery back in place.Frustrating and embarassing.

I ordered my Segway form Rick at Segway of Corvallis with the Urban Master tires which are slightly more aggressive without being noisy and worked great on all the uneven terrain around the shopping areas.Even though my I2 came with the Seg Autostand I found it just as easy to lean it up against a wall when we entered a store which actually made it easier for me to get on and off since it held the Seg steady.

We spent most of the day going from store to store and I had no difficulty navigating around people or obstacles.I did not bring the Segway into any of the stores because I felt that the racks/displays might have been a little tight.As the day wore on I really appreciated the freedom that has been given back to me.My energy level was not worn down at all.I also loved the fact that I no longer FELT disabled by being looked down upon riding on a mobility scooter.In fact,a group of teenagers walked by me and one of them shouted out "AWSOME!!!".Yes,that's how I felt...

I was able to even carry my over night bag over my shoulder on the Segway into the North Conway Grand Hotel which is conveniently located adjacent the outlets.Even getting into the elevator was a breeze since I was able to drive in and turn in place to face forward.Try doing that with a scooter inside an elevator.The Segway took up little real estate in the room.Nice.

Purchasing this Segway was a BIG DEAL for us and I am eternally grateful to my wife for her love, support and generosity.I can honestly say that I feel like I have been given my freedom (and dignity) back with this amazing device.I'm looking forward to so many more adventures.I feel like so many more doors have been opened for me/us.
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Well Done

Nice Maiden Voyage summary, thank you for sharing.

Know this will be your start to many enjoyable gliding adventures.

= = = =
11,000+ i2 Gliding Miles
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

This is AWESOME!! I’m so glad you’re finding the Segway so useful and life changing. That was the original dream, wasn’t it?

Aside from my current knee injury, I don’t have any serious ailments so for me, the Segway is a recreational device. But for you, it’s a life changing device. That’s incredible! Enjoy it in good health - may you have many, many years of exciting times with your Segway!
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
plumber802

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttonChops View Post

Nice Maiden Voyage summary, thank you for sharing.

Know this will be your start to many enjoyable gliding adventures.

= = = =
11,000+ i2 Gliding Miles
Thanks MuttonChops.I have some catching up to do to get to your 11,000+ miles.I think I'm at 12 miles so far.Loving every one of them.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #5
plumber802

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
This is AWESOME!! I’m so glad you’re finding the Segway so useful and life changing. That was the original dream, wasn’t it?

Aside from my current knee injury, I don’t have any serious ailments so for me, the Segway is a recreational device. But for you, it’s a life changing device. That’s incredible! Enjoy it in good health - may you have many, many years of exciting times with your Segway!
Thanks for the kind words.I really appreciate this forum.