SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Simple battery question

Hi all.

I just got a new flashlight, and it needs a battery.

It came with an obvious modification to hold a cluster of three AAA batteries, common in LED flashlights. This means the operation is at about 4.5 volts.

The case is an odd size, to my eye. It will clearly and well hold a C cell battery, but would need about 1 1/2 of them to fill the compartment.

So, I am looking for a cylindrical battery, as wide as a C cell, and about as tall as one and a half C cells, that gives about 4.5 volts.

And the name of this battery is...?

(By the way, I joined Tritium's Flashlight forum, but I do not have posting rights yet. I was going to ask there first, but it is taking too long)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Never mind.

I just figured it out. The flashlight came with a plastic sleeve, with some ribs in it. Very odd. No instructions.

I tried to put the 3 AAA cluster into the plastic tube, but it would not fit. And the aaa cluster fit into the flashlight loosely, but it did work.

I just slid a 3.7 volt 18650 LiIon that I have here into the flashlight, and BINGO!

Light works like a charm. Wish I had some instructions with it, but I do like it already.

I now have a couple lights that use those cells. I have not got enough use on them to know how long they will last, or how good they are. But I will see.

Thanks anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
KSagal

Cool Beans!

These new flashlights, very inexpensive, from Ultrafire, have multi function push button in the end cap. The kind that one click is full power, 2 clicks is 1/2 power, etc. I generally do not care for that kind of switch. Some are better than others, but I have some where you have to click many times to get to where you want to be, as it will remember forever where you were...

Use the flashlight like normal the first time. Turn it off.

Next time you go to use it, it is at 1/2 power when you turn it on. Then you have to scroll thru the various modes to get it back to full strength. This is why I generally do not care for this type of switch.

I have had some that have a timeout, so first time in any given session, you are at full power. This is okay, but I do not know when the timeout is. Still, I like this better.

But the cool beans with these new flashlights is this...

They have 3 power modes, and 2 flasher modes. Lots of button pushing. but the second flasher mode is ...---... ...---...

I like it. Preliminary tests seem to indicate that these do not reset, and will come on with the next in line of the 5 modes.

Still, lots of lumens from these small and inexpensive (under $15) flashlights.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
the second flasher mode is ...---... ...---...
How's your Morse code ?
Is that SOS ?

If so, use it with care.
You wouldn't want to send out a high brightness alarm message.

Michael
Old 08-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hello Karl, I wish I had seen your post earlier, there are batteries like 26650's which might work, but since you got the 18650 to work, no need to even try.

We've been getting as many as 2-3 spammers a day, so it sometimes is difficult to post at first, I'll try and get it to work better.

Anyways, sorry!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbint View Post
How's your Morse code ?
Is that SOS ?

If so, use it with care.
You wouldn't want to send out a high brightness alarm message.

Michael
Yes it is, Morse for S.O.S.