SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:05 PM   #1
thrasher187
thrasher187 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default i2 to X2 conversion question , reflash question

I have a Segway X2 that I bought years ago and was in the gravel getting my garbage can and it gave the frown face and shake so I tried to step off of it and miscalculated the Dismount and the handlebars smacked the ground killing it. Very light fall, I couldn't believe it ruined it. I was getting error code e042. This was about 10 years ago and no one had any idea what those codes meant back then. I bucked up and bought the special box and shipped it back to Segway with a set of I2 tires with it that we used it to move it around the house to keep it on the charger. When it got to the Segway Factory they declined to diagnose it because I had shipped the wrong tires with it. What a waste of time and money. So it has sat for years. Batteries became effective. Then recently I bought a used i2 . It needed batteries so I bought a set from AliExpress the 5.2 amp hour version. Great experience. Highly recommended. Now I have a working i2 that I put the X2 tires and fenders on, but it does not like to go downstairs or sharp turns on loose ground. Gets the frown face and Shake much easier than the X2. In my searching online I found that the X2 has different programming in it. A 3 second delay before becoming upset.My question (sorry to give so much backstory) is what part has that programming in it so I can switch it over? Is there a specific board that has the programming or would I need to swap the entire electronic system over? Also someone had told me at one point when I replaced the gyro in my X2 that it needed to be reflashed to work properly and I didn't have it reflashed. Is that a real thing or did someone sell me a bad gyro setup and it will work with another gyro? Possibly the one from the i2?
Recap ;
Question 1) where is the brain or operating system located?
Question 2) do I need a reflash after swapping parts?
thrasher187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:47 PM   #2
i2Macman
i2Macman is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Lightbulb No Software changes in my conversion

Effected this conversion about 6? years ago (i2- [a 2006 model]->X2) without any other modifications at all. No software changes to the i2; no operating problems following conversion; had a dead battery ;a dead radio board neither related to the conversion. Currently used as a X2Golf (with kit) on some ocassions too.

A few years ago had a stick shake problem and that was due simply to too lower air pressure in off-road tyres. Using the "X2" for years now and still going strong today. Just thought I would let you know about my no-software modification experience; in case it helps.

😎😎
i2Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
thrasher187

5 yr Member

perfect. So I can use the process of elimination and swap parts back and forth to figure out exactly what I need to get the x2 brain into the i2.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
infinitronics
infinitronics is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I have both a 'real' X2 and an i2 converted to an X2.

I much prefer the converted X2, as I mostly ride on-road.

It is a bit faster due to the larger tires, and it goes downhill much easier than the real X2, due to the software differences, which cause the real X2 to push back and slow down a lot.

This causes many novice riders, at least in my experience, to have to step off the machine to keep from falling backward.

Again, everyone's feelings on this may be different.

-i
infinitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
thrasher187

5 yr Member

I'm having the upset Shake issue a lot with my X2 conversion because it's running the i2 software. Does anyone know which piece of Hardware contains the software that controls the upset Shake so I can swap my x2 hardware into the i2?
Old 07-22-2021, 06:20 AM   #6
andrewsr32
andrewsr32 is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

This is the rule as I understand it. The components that must stay together to complete the serial numbered loop are:

1-rear cpu
2-balance sensor array
3-infokeys
4-radio board

All other components can be swapped but the front cpu would still need to be the same model I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andrewsr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:06 AM   #7
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher187 View Post
I'm having the upset Shake issue a lot with my X2 conversion because it's running the i2 software. Does anyone know which piece of Hardware contains the software that controls the upset Shake so I can swap my x2 hardware into the i2?
Had it twice with my X2, both times had to send it in...cost me $1800 both times to fix
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote