SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #11
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
I have a string tote that I drape over the handlebars--making the things I pick up visible. As for pushing the carts, I practiced out in the far corner of the Walmart parking lot first <G> but I assure you that it can be done and that your Seg is far easier to maneuver than the shapping cart! So choose your cart...
That's a great idea, Lilly. I think I am gonna try the string tote... Thanks. It sounds more convenient than using the plastic basket which is usually kinda wide.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have shopped using bags and segway storage bins and had very little problems, however, that often takes a relationship with the store manager.

When shopping, and placing items into dark or enclosed containers that do not belong to the store, it places those items out of site to them before you pay for them.

It would not be unlike shopping at a hardware store and placing bolts in your pockets on the way to checkout.

This requires the store believe you will empty those items, all of them, onto the checkout counter. While they may have no desire to presume you will shop lift, neither do they have a way to know you will not.

I do know the manager of the local supermarket, and he would have no problem with me doing this, but that is special consideration that is not normally extended to others.

When using a segway as a mobility device, or anything of that sort, I am perhaps overly careful not to request or even presume more consideration that if I were simply walking the isles.

I believe that the suggestion of a clear bag over the handlebars was suggested, and I think that is a great compromise, if this sort of solution is your choice.

Again, I believe that one of the best considerations to being 100% accepted is to self regulate, and not require the vendor to extend privileges to segway mobilized patrons that they do not extend to others. In other words, a segway mobilized shopper may do the same thing as others in a different way, but they do not do something different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
When on foot, I always seem to get the cart with the wobbly wheel.

I wonder how that would affect the segway, pushing a cart that is out of balance itself, or not tracking straight.

When I have shopped with segway, it always was with a bag or basket off the handlebars. Far more often however, I leave the machine in the front of the store.

I do not have nearly the mobility limitations as some however, so that is not a factor.
Since the segway operates as an extension of the rider's body, perhaps the better question is how the wobbly wheeled cart will affect YOU.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Folks, shopping with a shopping cart on an i2 Segway is dead simple.

The Segway is more narrow and more maneuverable than the cart.

Just push the cart, with the Segway's leansteer between your arms.

The Segway will follow the cart.

The only issue is with things that are on low shelves. Those are a pain. They're a pain without a Segway, but whatever your threshold of pain, it just moved up 8 inches.

The good news is that the "too high" threshold moves up 8 inches as well. People ask me to get things down for them all the time.

I also carry baskets, or if it's just a few items, I carry them in my hands. I also carry food trays, etc. I will use both hands if necessary and knee steer. I don't recommend doing that until you are comfortable, but it is not only quite possible, it becomes very natural.

But I've been pushing shopping carts since I first got a Segway.

You will have a little problem at the checkout stand. They design those expecting people to squeeze by their carts to unload, and the carts are uncomfortably low for unloading from a Segway.

A bit of strategy helps. First, precede your cart into the narrow area, and empty the cart from the front. Then, escape around your cart, and push from the rear, and continue unloading.

Occasionally, but not often, someone will crowd in behind you, and you'll have to ask them to move back a bit so you can get back around the cart. That's never been a problem.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 AM   #15
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks Bob.. I think I will try the unloading of the cart next now that you gave some good suggestions... never did that before.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
BoscoBob
BoscoBob is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

When shopping, I use a basket over my arm. I can usually fit enough for 2 day's worth of food. If I am buying more food, I wear my backpack. At checkout, I put the groceries, my hard case and my backpack on the conveyor. They clerk checks my item and "bags" everything up.

I recently purchased a new home and found that my backpack will easily carry two gallons of paint.

The only thing to remember is not to put too many heavy items in the hard case on the front of your Segway. Ask me how I know!

Of course, your mileage may vary with rider weight, terrain and speed...
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #17
Sawbones
Sawbones

5 yr Member
Exclamation Convention Center use

I'm headed to the Moscone Center in San Francisco for the annual international Orthopaedic Meeting. I was well received (after some negotiating) about five years ago at the same convention hall, and I'm calling the center from home (Hanover, NH) to clear the Segway for this meeting.

I'm ambivalent about making this advanced contact, fearing that doing so may give the convention staff an opportunity to deny me access! Am I being paranoid, or are there other strategies I should use instead that might be more useful.

I'm an emeritus orthopaedic surgeon with an above knee amputation on the right and a mature replacement knee on the left (2003).
Sawbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbones View Post
I'm headed to the Moscone Center in San Francisco for the annual international Orthopaedic Meeting. I was well received (after some negotiating) about five years ago at the same convention hall, and I'm calling the center from home (Hanover, NH) to clear the Segway for this meeting.

I'm ambivalent about making this advanced contact, fearing that doing so may give the convention staff an opportunity to deny me access! Am I being paranoid, or are there other strategies I should use instead that might be more useful.

I'm an emeritus orthopaedic surgeon with an above knee amputation on the right and a mature replacement knee on the left (2003).
They can't deny you access. I always have a couple copies of this ADA summary along with my handicap tag.
http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=25902

If they tell you you can't use it, I'd send them the ADA info and let them know I'd be showing up with a lawyer! or since you will be traveling to SF, perhaps someone there who uses a Seg could show up with you.... Frankly, I'm getting a bit fed up with this kind of stuff--and I'm not nearly as willing to make excuses for this as I was in the beginning...

Last edited by Lily Kerns; 01-20-2012 at 07:47 PM..
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I don't belive in asking permission particularly not on advance.

Do as others have said and carry the ADA info and relax. You'll get in.
I haven't been denied access in a long, long time. Be prepared and be possitive and all should go well.

Patience is a virtue and violators need to be reported.

Even though the ADA passed in 1990 to this day there are rampant violations of the original act. With the new regs less than a year old I would expect that there is still a great deal of educating to do on the Segway front.

In 2003 the Segway was introduced and in 2011 protection of its use is confirmed under the ADA. I say confirmed because it was always protected. Seven years may seem like a long time but the fact is this happened faster than anyone could have hoped.

Enjoy the convention.

Be Big,
AMAC

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #20
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I don't ask. I carry a copy of the ADA primer off the DRAFT web site and a prescription from my doctor. When I am confronted, and thats not very often, I am pleasant, and patient. The work that has gone before me has made it easy to educate. I did however take me 8 months to get my employer on board with the ADA.
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote