SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
johnberry
johnberry

5 yr Member
Default INSURANCE INSURANCE INSURANCE

After several weeks of numerous phone calls, I still have failed to find a company who will insure my Segways (in the UK) for anything at all except third party on a Golf Course (which my houshold policy covers, perhaps).
So, apart from that, if I hit something/somebody or one gets stolen, it's all down to me.
Anybody got a solution???

John Berry
johnberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
SONORAMA
SONORAMA

5 yr Member

What exactly do you want to insure? Insure yourself against 3rd party liability? Or insure your Segway against theft? Or something else?

Keep in mind that buying insurance is basically a gamble between you and the insurance company. As the purchaser of insurance, you are betting that something you DON'T want to happen, will happen.

Looked at like that, you realize why buying insurance is seldom a good "investment". You can take precautions against theft (don't leave the Segway alone) and against 3rd party claims (glide responsibly, or check your homeowner's policy) that cost little or nothing yet usually serve you better.
SONORAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Well, truth be told, you actually ARE your own best insurance, and it IS actually "down to you." Take this as an opportunity to sharpen your wits, be alert, predict consequences of your actions, etc. You ARE capable of such, and it doesn't have to be an onerous task. Treat it as a game and a challenge to always operate your Segway safely and "watch out for the other guy", including those who might want to snatch it.

If part of the time and energy you invest in working results in the money you'd pay an insurance company for "coverage", wouldn't it be better to invest just part of that time and energy in simply practicing to improve your physical, observational, and thinking skills in order to accomplish the much more effective brand of "coverage" you'd thereby enjoy?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johnberry

After several weeks of numerous phone calls, I still have failed to find a company who will insure my Segways (in the UK) for anything at all except third party on a Golf Course (which my houshold policy covers, perhaps).
So, apart from that, if I hit something/somebody or one gets stolen, it's all down to me.

John Berry
"Segway Dan" Swanson
727-403-2628
www.segwayclearwater.com
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

John,

Call AXA / Norwich Union. They insure 20+ units for us and we are working to get them to provide "standard" insurance for any of our local gliders.

Steven

--- EAMUS CATULI! ---

No person is truly useless. They may always serve as a bad example!
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
Gaye
Gaye

5 yr Member

I am going into Lloyds of London (on my Segway) on Thursday as I currently handle some of their event management. I will enquire DIRECTLY about insurance and will keep you 'in the loop'!
The subject of our next seminar is The Mobile Office of the future so my Seg should be topical!
Gaye
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johnberry

John Berry
Segway - LITERALLY revolutionising my life!
Gaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
johnberry
johnberry

5 yr Member

Desert Seg,
I have been through this one before. I HAVE called AXA, firstly they deny they are anything to do with Norwich Union, secondly, they don't even know what a Segway is, thirdly, in the UK they dont even talk to the public!!! So, no-go there, i'm afraid.
John Berry
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Desert_Seg

John,

Call AXA / Norwich Union. They insure 20+ units for us and we are working to get them to provide "standard" insurance for any of our local gliders.

Steven

--- EAMUS CATULI! ---

johnberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #7
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Hmmm, we were first insured by Norwich Union who, at least in the ME, merged with AXA in October.

http://www.121agencies.net/axa/demo/...le=9&pageid=86

We also have 20+ insurance certificates and one real thick policy.

Have you tried Norwich Union directly?

Steven

--- EAMUS CATULI! ---

Old 12-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Steven, Could you arrange insurance on behalf of others in another country? Not asking if you would actually do it, but would it be technically possible?

-

To segue, or not to segue, that is the question.
gbrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:43 AM   #9
Desert_Seg

5 yr Member

Funny you should ask. We are trying to get insurance arranged for some units outside of the Gulf and have found out there are two options.

1. Insurance is arranged locally (e.g. with the local underwriting team) at a cost of ~$100. However, you would need to add a rider for use outside of the region (cost unknown) and let them know each time you will be taking the units out of the gulf (e.g., all the time)

2. The local underwriters will pass on to your local underwrites your interest. Unfortunately it is then the decision of your local team whether or not to insure.

Steven

--- EAMUS CATULI! ---

Old 12-10-2005, 07:31 AM   #10
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks, Steven. Interesting. Personally, I think in the UK, because of the current legal climate, the best an insurer would offer us would be protection against theft. Perhaps damages and liability too, but only if used legally (i.e. on private property with the owners consent).

-

To segue, or not to segue, that is the question.
gbrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote