SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #11
russ498
russ498 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber802 View Post
Yes,my "cane" is a trekking pole as well.I still have not investigated a way to mount my trekking pole to my lean steer without drilling holes.
I use industrial grade Velcro. It holds great.
russ498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #12
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ498 View Post
I use industrial grade Velcro. It holds great.
Thanks Russ,I had not considered that.
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
Tremors2
Tremors2 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

@russ498 - Of course! The old standby. Thanks for reminding me.

I even think I have some in my tool box. I love it when that happens
Tremors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #14
Popkorn
Popkorn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Here's my take...

About 18 months ago I fulfilled my dream of owning a Segway when I purchased a MiniPRO with a handlebar. For the past 10 years my wife and I have been taking Segway tours in U.S. and European cities. Unfortunately, the full-size Segway is both unaffordable and impractical, as it costs about $6000 and weighs about 150 lbs. The MiniPRO is both affordable (a lot less than a Harley Davidson) and weighs about 30 lbs.

I’ve dealt with Alex at More4Mini in Madison VA. Check them out online. They are very knowledgable and carry a full line of MiniPro’s and accessories. I just purchased their adjustable height handlebar to upgrade from a fixed height one. Before I purchased it, they arranged for a “test drive” at a local retailer. I bought it on the spot! Maybe there' a local distributor who would let you try one.

I’m about to turn 70 and have no problem riding the MiniPRO. Over the years I’ve done my homework and have about 400 miles on it, so here are some suggestions especially for older folks:

1) I would stay away from the knee control especially if you have knee problems. I have not tried it, but honestly, having something to hold on to seems much more stable. The handlebar makes it operate similar to a full-size Segway.

2) If you have balance issues, this is not for you. I have talked to many seniors who marvel at the agility and freedom afforded by the miniPRO, but I always mention the balance issue.

3) This is not a cheap hoverboard. It is much sturdier, has larger tires and is better designed. The battery has Underwriters Laboratory certification.

4) In some places, like Washington DC and most of Florida, you can ride on pedestrian and bike paths with no problem. As each state, county and municipality may have its own regulations, it’s best to check local laws.

In other places, you can ONLY ride if you have a state issued Handicapped Sticker (like the one that hangs from you car’s rear view mirror). The Americans with Disabilities Act, which is in force in all 50 states, defines Segways as OPDMD – Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices just like motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters. If you nicely bring this document to the attention of the powers that be, they may be willing to allow Segway use. You can find the regulations by searching for “OPDMD Department of Justice”. Many state parks and other facilities already allow them; you just have to ask. I rode through a glass exhibit at a museum in Florida under the watchful and amazed eyes of the security guards. I’ve also been successful at getting my county parks dept. to change their regulation prohibiting motorized vehicles (including motorized wheelchairs & Segways) by bringing the ADA regulations to their attention thorugh the local Office of Disability Services.

5) Some places that allow motorized wheelchairs and scooters restrict Segways because they have gravel paths. I’ve ridden on hard-packed gravel paths, but VERY SLOWLY! This brings me to the safety aspects of the MiniPRO. While they are similar to full-size Segways, there are important differences. The two most important ones are weight and tire size. We have ridden standard full-size Segways off-road (at reasonable speed) on a state park tour in Ft. Lauderdale over bumps, ruts and tree roots. I would never attempt this on a MiniPRO.

The other tricky things to navigate are handicapped curb cuts that are curved upwards as you approach them or do not have a smooth transition to the pavement. These things will throw your weight back and you’ll be in trouble. Sometimes you need to stop, shut the unit off and walk it up or down the curb cut.

6) Get a helmet! The most protective ones are those that are rated for BOTH bicycling and skateboarding. The bicycle-only ones do not have adequate protection for the back of the head (remember the part about upward sloping curb cuts).

7) Get a bell. The MiniPRO is stealthy and nearly silent. Until I got a bell, I would roll up slowing behind pedestrians and say “excuse me” from about 6 feet away. Without exception, they would always be startled. The bell is much friendlier.

8) You want the kickstand. It’s very useful when you get off and turn the unit off. It means you won’t have to find something to lean the MiniPRO against. Don’t forget to flip it up when you get back on. Sounds stupid, but since it’s on the opposite side you get on, it’s easy to forget. Bad things will happen if you forget.

9) Practice, practice, practice! Before you go out for an extended ride, give yourself some time to get accustomed to starting, stopping, turning and getting on and off the MiniPRO. Be aware that it DOES NOT self-balance with the handlebar (just like the full-size units). It will self-balance only with the knee bar. You need to recalibrate the unit to disable the self-balancing mode using the Segway-Ninebot free phone app.

To sum up, the Segway miniPRO is a wonderful way to get around if you have mobility issues and good balance.
Popkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #15
bruneje
bruneje is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Velcro strips as a cane holder

I use Velcro to hold my cane. Just buy two sided 3inch velcro at your local sewing shop. Some comes with a sticky base. I use that on the control shaft, I then wrap the other velcro strap around it. I also stick some velcro on the side of my cane, kind of assurance, like wearing a belt with suspenders!!

so I stick the cane on the velcro then wrap the other piece of velcro around it and it holds it perfectly.
bruneje is offline   Reply With Quote