SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #11
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comparableness View Post
Beautiful machine and many thanks for giving us closure on the story of the snapped bolts. I'm glad you were able to get a set of clean and tight used gearboxes from eBay.
Thanks! I got very lucky indeed - it's not often you see gearboxes on fleaBay.

From the dealership (who were AWESOME by the way) - it was about $320 per gearbox for a rebuilt/recertified one, plus installation.

So I was able to get away cheap at $290 and doing the swap myself. It was easy enough to do; actually a lot simpler than I expected. The "new" gearboxes didn't come with couplers, so I had to pull them from the old ones and install on the new. I thought that would be a problem; it was smooth as pie. Very simple press fit - didn't take anything more than hand pressure. I was ready for a fight with a faucet puller or something... totally overthought it :-)

Hardest part was the gearbox spacer - it's a machined aluminum part, and apparently the previous owner of my Segway broke a screw off for attaching the front fascia. I'm not thrilled with the "bite" I got for the Segautostand's front stud, so I'm going to drill it out and run an M6 tap through the hole. That'll do the trick. Again, another project for the dead of winter when I've got nothing else to do :-)
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #12
dmurphy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
Hardest part was the gearbox spacer - it's a machined aluminum part, and apparently the previous owner of my Segway broke a screw off for attaching the front fascia. I'm not thrilled with the "bite" I got for the Segautostand's front stud, so I'm going to drill it out and run an M6 tap through the hole. That'll do the trick. Again, another project for the dead of winter when I've got nothing else to do :-)
Well, drilling out the broken screw didn't go well. I think my bits are dull as can be... so we're going to go to a rig-up.

I'm just going to tack weld one of these over the hole:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G8X9FUI/

That'll do it.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
dmurphy

5 yr Member

Finally got around to fixing the Segautostand/fascia attachment point ... I just JB Welded a flat nut onto the front of the gearbox spacer, and that's doing the job beautifully. Way easier than trying to drill out the broken screw in the hole, or even replacing the gearbox spacer.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #14
comparableness
comparableness is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I'm enjoying these great updates!
comparableness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #15
dmurphy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comparableness View Post
I'm enjoying these great updates!
I’m glad they’re useful! It’s a little threapudic to share my story; even more so to get it fixed.

Thankfully the Segway is just recreational for me. I’m not dependent on it for mobility like so many are, so any work is a labor of love and not necessity. That definitely keeps my hot head in check.