SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Am I the Only One That Feels This Way?

There are many that come here to share knowledge and experiences. I sincerely appreciate all that I have learned since I've been fortunate enough to be a part of this community.

I've always tried to add something of value with every post I make...either a question I have or a response to a question that I thought I could add something of value to.

But...there seems to be an increasing number of "posts" that are either "inside jokes" or "puns" that I just don't get. It just seems like noise to me. I am probably out-of-touch on the whole thing.

Am I the only one that feels this way?
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Darth, some people just don't "get" puns. I have a good friend, who is very intelligent, who doesn't care for puns at all. They tickle my funnybone, but I don't always catch them at first. (I'm pretty literal.)

Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Darth, some people just don't "get" puns.
I believe he's referring to the game without rules that is played on most internet forums known as "one-upsmanship".

In some cases it's just a jest, in some it's sub-conscious and in others it's pathological and deliberate.

No. I don't think he's the only one that feels this way, but it is the inevitable consequence of a small tight group that almost prides itself in setting itself apart. Some people actually do feel as if they are superior simply because they got their foot in the door "first" (or at least before others did). Some people think that makes them "forward thinking". Meanwhile, other people might think the first group got in too quickly before the device was fully developed. So, just the moment this person versus that person plopped down the cash to buy the device can be a point of contention and resentment.

Most people like to think they're above average and unique as a snowflake. Human nature I guess. Everybody plays this game; whether or not they realize they're involved in it is another thing.

Last edited by quade; 03-08-2008 at 03:09 PM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
mpupeza
mpupeza is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Angry

As a relative Newbie, I, too, felt this 'one upsmanship' and I am now VERY cautious about posting here!
In one of my postings, I asked for info on my newly purchased discontinued i167, as the Segway Sites that I tried had no Manual specific to my model, especially the cryptic 'magic window' handlebar electronic display!
I received several private emails advising me to use Google, and/or search the achives!
Why would they bother to advise me that? I had tried a few searches and found an overwhelming number of sites to look at. What I needed was some 'gentle' guidance or direct pointers!
I really didn't need that other 'advice'!
Watching some of the clashes between members leaves me cold! That business about the battery rebuilding thread, that I started, devolved into a discussion (argument?) about business practices and profit margins!
To what purpose?
However, I was also given good information that worked out fine!
Mike
mpupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Most people like to think they're above average and unique as a snowflake. Human nature I guess. Everybody plays this game; whether or not they realize they're involved in it is another thing.
I have a cute saying about this. Everyone wants to be "normal", but no one wants to be average. I realize that normal and average have different meanings (one involving acceptance vs an overall measurement), but I find the humor in the fact that in practice both labels tend to apply to the same people.

ps - And yes, if you're wondering, I do apply the "average" label to myself. Not so sure about the "normal" label though...8^) 8^) 8^)
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
There are many that come here to share knowledge and experiences. I sincerely appreciate all that I have learned since I've been fortunate enough to be a part of this community.

I've always tried to add something of value with every post I make...either a question I have or a response to a question that I thought I could add something of value to.

But...there seems to be an increasing number of "posts" that are either "inside jokes" or "puns" that I just don't get. It just seems like noise to me. I am probably out-of-touch on the whole thing.

You're not alone DSV, I've had my share of head scratching moments here on SC. The gravity of SC as a whole seems to alternate back and forth between technological and moderately personal issues. Rest assured, the tides of change shall come soon enough. (disclaimer: I am not advocating for change or representing a particular group, merely expounding upon my observations)
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post

I read this post as we all do, and I understand it based on my own experiences. I read it as a comment about the inside jokes and puns as being private coded communication between some people on this forum, that was designed to only be understood amongst the 'insiders'

I see it as kind of a clique thing. At least that is how I read it, not as a comment that he does not understand puns or plays on words...

I too feel that there is a lot of posturing here. That, I have been told, is common on forums like this...

I have a big ego, and anyone who reads my posts will shortly get that I have a high opinion of myself and my conclusions. This may feed into the attitude expressed by the original poster, but I surely hope not. I also, or perhaps more specifically, pride myself as being very honest, and do not post coded messages, or postings intended to mean one thing to one reader, and another thing to a different reader. That may be inevitable, but not intentional.

So, finally, no, I do not feel you are alone. I do feel that it is often that someone feels themself able to post an inside joke on this public forum, in a way to send one message to their buddies, while clearly and intentionally leaving the rest of us out of the loop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Do we have a lot of that here? Boy, I must be oblivious. (don't all of you jump right in and agree with me - there's probably not enough room on the server LOL)

Now, I have seen those kinds of games when people are playing "raise my post counts" - and I have seen some punning here and there, where someone catches a play on words, but I haven't really seen it used to make others feel inferior, (which is what I consider one-upsmanship). I don't consider Crash's stuff in this category - but it's because I don't think he writes the way he writes to be one up.

I dunno.

Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
I believe he's referring to the game without rules that is played on most internet forums known as "one-upsmanship".

In some cases it's just a jest, in some it's sub-conscious and in others it's pathological and deliberate.

No. I don't think he's the only one that feels this way, but it is the inevitable consequence of a small tight group that almost prides itself in setting itself apart. Some people actually do feel as if they are superior simply because they got their foot in the door "first" (or at least before others did). Some people think that makes them "forward thinking". Meanwhile, other people might think the first group got in too quickly before the device was fully developed. So, just the moment this person versus that person plopped down the cash to buy the device can be a point of contention and resentment.

pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Good that this topic is brought up

Maybe as a group we can work on making this a more positive place, and one that encourages particiaption, and not the negative debates that leave people cold.

Talking on the interenet leaves a lot to be desired. And I am sure those people out there who post what comes across with negative vibes, would be shocked that their posts are taken that way. It is always good to go back and read your posts to make sure they convey what you want said. That edit button is a wonderful thing!

In society as a whole, there will always be those peacocks that want everyone to admire them, and then there are always the trolls that want to stick it to anyone they can to make themselves feel more in control.

As you participate in this forum more you will get to know the personalites of the members and know who is on here to be helpful to others, and those who are on here for their own self flattery.

I am always sorry to hear when people state that Segway people are this way.

Now like Polo Pro's push earlier this year to educate everyone on the rep point system and the use of the live chat feature, maybe we should work to encourage a more neighborly and welcoming feeling on Segway Chat.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
MzSegwayofHawaii
MzSegwayofHawaii is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default silly

I felt kind of silly, because I'm a Dealer... but Anytime I've needed, everyone has been more than helpful.

hang in there DSV...

In a world FULL of cheerios, be a fruit loop!
Save gas, ride a Segway!

MzSegwayofHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote