SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Spell Checker

I don't see a forum for site related items, so feel free to move this question.

Why does the spell checker for postings work beautifully for my Mac using Safari as a browser, but it doesn't work with IE7 and Windows (whether on a PC or Windows on the Mac)? I assumed people were just being too lazy to pay attention to the flagged misspellings until I switched to my other computer.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hi John

There is a site feedback forum (Community Feedback and Support). And the spell checker works fine for me in IE7, XP SP2. I'm using IE spell.

Does the forum have its own spell checker? Have you installed IE spell? It's free for non-commercial usage.

Cheers

Gareth
Old 12-14-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
japaneezy
japaneezy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

there is no spell checker on the board, the spell checker on your mac is part of the Macintosh Operating System. You need to install a 3rd party spell checker on your win dohs box like Gareth said if you want spell check functionality on that end.
japaneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Smile Flat tire

speln is me best aload dungwigits sedgway knoters hook.
RaCHs
Huu?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Laurenzano View Post
speln is me best aload dungwigits sedgway knoters hook.
RaCHs
Huu?
I know you're attempting to be incomprehensible, but how is that any different than one of your "normal" posts?
Old 12-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

There is an icon for spell check on my pop-up window for making a reply post, but when I use it, it tells me that I have to download a program for it to work, then my security software gets it's panties in a bunch, so I just don't bother...

Speaking of that, I have seen where I type correctly, spell check it myself or in another program, and it still gets a bit mangled when put up on the board. I always thought this was a tiny incompatability between my browser and this forum, or between two different platforms.

Either way, while I do find misspellings on this forum a bit of a distraction, it is not my biggest problem in life. It ranks pretty far down the list.

I have seen many posts that made my blood boil, but everything was spelled correctly.

I have seen other posts, either well written or inciteful enough, regardless of the poster or position, that were still great posts, even with a misspelling or two...

By the way one of my other pet peeves is when people cannot differenciate between to, two, and too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I have seen other posts, either well written or inciteful enough, regardless of the poster or position, that were still great posts, even with a misspelling or two...

By the way one of my other pet peeves is when people cannot differenciate between to, two, and too.
...or the difference between "incite" and "insight."

-Sal
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
I don't see a forum for site related items, so feel free to move this question.

Why does the spell checker for postings work beautifully for my Mac using Safari as a browser, but it doesn't work with IE7 and Windows (whether on a PC or Windows on the Mac)? I assumed people were just being too lazy to pay attention to the flagged misspellings until I switched to my other computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by japaneezy View Post
there is no spell checker on the board, the spell checker on your mac is part of the Macintosh Operating System. You need to install a 3rd party spell checker on your win dohs box like Gareth said if you want spell check functionality on that end.
Japaneezy is right, that's OS X's own checker. (I'm on Safari on a Mac as well).

-Sal
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Japaneezy is right, that's OS X's own checker. (I'm on Safari on a Mac as well).

-Sal
Has it been working for you guys all along? Mine just started working two weeks ago. I was hoping that it would give advice (not advise) to a few members that their (not there or they're) words are spelled incorrectly, but as Terry pointed out, spell checkers don't help with the misuse of correctly spelled words. And as Sal has pointed out, the use of a homonym can totally change the meaning -- not that we ever have misunderstandings over what somebody is trying to say.

Thanks guys. Gareth, maybe you can give some more help to those wishing (and really needing) a spell checker for the PC. As I understand it, a lot of the lurkers on the website are here because their teachers have assigned them homework to find at least 150 examples per night on SC for class discussion, and typos don't count.

John Kuhn
Old 12-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
bentbiker

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Hi John

There is a site feedback forum (Community Feedback and Support). And the spell checker works fine for me in IE7, XP SP2. I'm using IE spell.

Does the forum have its own spell checker? Have you installed IE spell? It's free for non-commercial usage.

Cheers

Gareth
Wow! I couldn't find the forum, didn't know the spell-checker was a part of my OS or browser, and no, I have never heard of IE Spell. I will give it (IE Spell) a try, but if I read their site correctly, it doesn't check on the fly -- you have to push a button (hopefully it doesn't require highlighting). Thanks to everyone for not starting their post with "You dummy, . . ."

John