SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Which is really wise as there still great swaths of the country where it's hard to get a formal local group of any size. Large urban areas have done well in this area, but smaller areas.... <G>

I think this is a super idea, for several reasons, for both Segway and the individual Segway owner.

Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrohol View Post
I'm looking forward to the Segway Social website, as it'll finally allow owners to connect up with one another without someone having to go to the trouble of organizing a formal local group to do so.

John
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #12
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default plan to counteract negativity on SC

In the interest of improving the "attitude" here at SC, I intend to give 10 posters positive rep every week. I hoping that this encourages other to send a positive message to their fellow posters!

If you want to join me in this effort, I'll appreciate the help in "spreading the joy". And remember to sign your name in the comment, or else your comment while helpful/useful is also anonymous.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #13
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
In the interest of improving the "attitude" here at SC, I intend to give 10 posters positive rep every week. I hoping that this encourages other to send a positive message to their fellow posters!

If you want to join me in this effort, I'll appreciate the help in "spreading the joy". And remember to sign your name in the comment, or else your comment while helpful/useful is also anonymous.
What happens when there aren't 10 good posts to praise?

Once again, I tried to give you one but no go...must still spread it around some more!
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 AM   #14
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
What happens when there aren't 10 good posts to praise?
If that's the case, then maybe SC has bigger problems than negativity, eh? Or perhaps the subject matter has been exhausted and there's nothing original to say. I got the feeling that jgrohol was proposing that earlier in this thread.

Maybe we just need to encourage people to post their short narratives about funny gliding experiences (like Segsby has been doing).
Old 12-12-2007, 02:27 AM   #15
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I find there are quite a few good posts, but invariably, people tend to get discouraged when their posts draw comments that take things they said out of context, or just plain change the meaning of what was said. We have to remember that you can't show body language or subtle inflections in a text format. Smileys help a bit, but things can still be misunderstood. Try a little harder to read between the lines of what the poster is saying. Remember that if you're having a bad day, it makes it tougher to not insert those feelings into what you are reading.

Jim
Old 12-13-2007, 12:59 AM   #16
polo_pro
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I'm half way to my goal of handing out my positive rep points for the week. Folks, log on, and click the "User CP" up on the menu bar. You may find your rep points have increased (along with a comment including my name).

And thank you to whomever was kind enough to return the favor. There was no comment, but I'm glad there was something about my posts that someone appreciated out there!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:20 AM   #17
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
When SegwayChat was first launched it was a haven for Segway enthusiasts, a great place to gather, share ideas, share experiences, and to make new friends.

Over time it evolved into a community of like-minded individuals, individuals who regardless of their opinion of the Segway liked to discuss topics associated with this great device. It was a great place to hang out and discover ways of making your glide more enjoyable, a place to have fun, a place to learn more.

Unfortunately, it has now evolved into another phase of its lfe, one that seems to be based on one-sided viewpoints, argumentative posts, and rapidly devolving threads. It really isn't as fun as it was and the negativity that emanates from some posts is disappointing to say the least.

Many of us are guilty, even if we don't want to admit it, and I, for one, think that it really does need to stop. We either bring back the fun, whether it be the fun of pimping, the fun of gliding, the fun polo, or any other fun you can think of, or we just continue to devolve into another loss to the community.

If you look at the number of active members you will quickly see that they can now be easily identified and counted. Two years ago that wasn't the case. I'm sure some have left due to other reasons but I do know of a few (much more than a handful) who have left, or rarely post, due to the negativity on this site.

Let's try to get back to the basics, let's try to get back to being Segway Enthusiasts who can have a level multi-sided discussion about the pros and cons of having / using a Segway. To do that we need to leave the negative comments, the attacks (both public and private) and the vitriol off this board.

I don't think it is that hard to do, so let's all try to take a step up and "clean up".

Steven
Sorry Steven, I disagree.

Telling people to leave negetive comments off the board is suggesting censorship. Your implying that only rosy, happy posts exist, and anyone's true feelings re: Segways should be ommitted unless they're happy ones.

There are board guidelines and rules when it comes to personal attacks and foul language. The mods do a great job of stopping these occasional posts.

As long as posters follow the rules, We should be allowed to express our true feelings. If we're pissed at the parking stand dillema, or a ban by a municipality or shopping mall, those posts should not be censored just because you or any oter poster would only rather read "positive" posts. If yopu don't like those threads, don't read them. Telling people they have to "clean up" is innappropriate in a community bulletin board format.

JMO, Steven, nothing personal.

Tim
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:26 AM   #18
polo_pro
Advanced Member

Default one small step

Quote:

The first week is over, and I've give out positive rep to 11 people! Login, click User CP and check your comments for a comment signed "polo"!!

ps - If nothing's there, don't worry. I'll get to you this week...just post a detailed positive gliding story, and you're sure to get positive rep for your trouble.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #19
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Ryan I can understand where you are coming from. You really put yourself out there and the managment shut you down for whatever reason. The administrators of this site historically have never been very transparent about their actions, although I can see recently that they have really been trying to improve themselves. Sometimes it seems like they do certain things to save face, other times their actions can only be described as vindictive. Either way, this place is full of really, really good people, including the admins. If you don't get a response from them, my advice to you would be to make one last thread in the Buy and Sell forum with a note to email or PM you. The type of discussion you are looking to have belongs in private messages. That said, I hope you don't get frustrated and leave this place. Stick it out and I guarantee you will meet some great folks.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #20
ryanj0
ryanj0 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Talking

Thanks hellphish. I realize the people here are good people including John and other admins I did not deal with. I'm not here to degrade or deface them but the issue needs to be brought up. As a member you have just as much control as them. There are other forums or you could start your own if it gets too out of hand. I will not leave but will not be surprised if my rights are revoked for this. If I have an issue I bring it up! That being said I have seen some people whom I disagree with or think say bad things or perform bad actions but all in all this is one of the few forums in which I have not actually seen any bad people. And one day I will get that Segway. I respect John's word not to ask for one here although I do think it is closed minded and don't agree with it. Once I get one I can become more active because obviously if I don't have one I cannot contribute to the majority of conversation I would not know without actively gliding. But I will stay and contribute what I can. I have seen a lot of kindness here. Thank you all.

Jeremy Ryan
ryanj0 is offline   Reply With Quote