SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timezkware Tim View Post
It would be great if this site also had a sniper filter. Whenever someone with no guts wants to take pot shots at a poster without naming them in the post, the post should be automatically deleted.
I guess it would be better if the snipe was never made to begin with (named or otherwise). But its so easy to snipe from behind a keyboard and even easier to misread something. But we all seem to do pretty well on here. Most of the time
Old 04-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I'll play devil's advocate (Surrogate in some people's view) here and say that the snipe issue is largely a perspectives issue...

My own memory is that which is somewhat pictographic... I am great at remembering faces, but not so good at matching them up with the names... I am good at remembering turns of phrase, or specific words spoken, but not as good at properly attributing the author...

I have been accused, on more than one occasion, of singling out a paticular person in a post which specifically did not name them, or had a disclaimer about it being responsive to several posters... I have even had people send long diatribes about how I was picking on them or their words, when I was not even aware of their existance.

One thing here, that is fairly common, is an inflated sense of self importance. That shows well in many posts. (And surely I am not exempt)

So, a snipe filter would be hard pressed to work. I agree with the concept that policing ourselves will work well, and for those who don't police themselves, their posts will stand out as exceptions and will garner the respect they deserve...

As far as the original topic of a bad language filter, I have included the astericks myself, if I am quoting another person who used profanities. I did not wait for a filter to do it... I take my cue here from Beatle Bailey, who was famous for the "$#OO*" kind of swear...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:21 AM   #13
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

From my history <G> We've always had a bad language filter, because we've had posters of all ages at various times. We even had a filter on Schnitz that filtered out references to other things that Frank chose not to have on the forum. I'm pretty sure that this software is using a default group of words (I haven't been through it to look) -
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #14
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Exclamation Well Being From Brooklyn

Its really ******* hard not to swear, When I get up in the ******* morning and scratch my ***** and then go take a ****,
I think WHAT THE **** am I doing today.

Then I get out into traffic on my segway and God are there alot of ******** on the road,

This one guy cut me off and I said to him *** * *** ** ** ******* **** ** ****** **** ***** **** ** ***!!!

Well what the ***** would you do?

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something rightâ„¢

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #15
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Jonathan,
I don't mean to be pedantic but... I think "****" is the wrong word since it is being modified by "*****" and therefore it should be "*******".
But then I've always had a problem with the past tense of a pluperfect participle myself.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #16
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Arrow I over E = C???

******* A
******* B
******* C

yea thats how a NYker Spells!

you got a ******** problem with DHAT?????

Jonathan
I * NY

PS: tree plus three plus tree is Nine
Dirty tree plus dirty tree plus dirty tree is ninty nine!

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something rightâ„¢

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #17
guyler
guyler is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Dirty words

I read books, watch movies, and indulge in conversations decorated with a wide range of obscenities/vulgarities and it doesn't bother me. However, there are venues where a more refined version of the English language is preferred. In my opinion this forum is one of them.

Where I part company with the administrators of this forum is with the substitution of asterisks (*) for the letters of an obscene/vulgar word. If the word itself is obvious--in spite of the substitution--from the context of the sentence, what is the point? Generally the word literally jumps off the page and can be heard in the mind. It is not the printing of the word that offends me. It is the meaning.

I suggest the any post with a proscribed word be sent back to the author for correction before publication. The use of asterisks is childish and does not purify the post.

If you don't agree with me, **** you!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #18
[email protected]
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Talking

I've been doing IT stuff for close to 50 years! In some circles, I'm considered somewhat of an expert on office automation (including things like email, "bulletin boards", etc.).

In my professional opinion, there are only three major "drawbacks" to automatic language (or content) filters:

1. Use of such filters leads to occasional "discussions" such as this, which will inevitably contain content that may be viewed as creative, or childish, or angry, or .....

2. In some less-polite climates, participants may become creative in using obscure language, or other work-arounds, to incorporate "bad language" in their communications. Or perhaps just "foreign language" depending on the depth of the filters. Hopefully, that won't occur here.

3. A legitimate argument can be made that, in fairness, participants deserve access to a list of all the prohibited words. The argument is that participants should be given the opportunity to NOT stumble into the use of prohibited words (or content). Of course, there's an obvious problem doing that.

So, like many things, there's no "right" answer.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #19
[email protected]
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyler View Post

Where I part company with the administrators of this forum is with the substitution of asterisks (*) for the letters of an obscene/vulgar word. If the word itself is obvious--in spite of the substitution--from the context of the sentence, what is the point? Generally the word literally jumps off the page and can be heard in the mind. It is not the printing of the word that offends me. It is the meaning.

I suggest the any post with a proscribed word be sent back to the author for correction before publication. The use of asterisks is childish and does not purify the post.
What would you consider an acceptable correction for my previous posting that said, when I was QUOTING spoken material on the Segway Safety Video?

"If you ignore the guidelines and warnings, well - it's your ***!"
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #20
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Guyler & Dale,

Your posts contain points that I've never considered before and I've been in front of messageboards (and behind them) for years. I'm glad I started this thread.

Cheers, guys.