SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #1
retrodog
retrodog is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Is it Easy to Trip on a Segway Minipro?

Ok, not really trip, but I was wondering if you are cruising along on a patch of pavement (or whatever) and hit something unexpectedly, like a bump or abrupt bump on the ground, if the resulting jolt would cause a wipeout. How big of a bump can they handle without sending you flying off the front? I'm sure the inflated tires help somewhat, but there must be a limit.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
gregn
gregn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hey,
I use my mini pro on a farm. That means gravel road, grass covered field paths.
If you are moving along and about 4-6 mph or faster most obstacles are handled in stride. Trying to rip over something slow can stall a wheel and throw you off balance a bit. I big rock or dip can stop a wheel and in most cases you just step off and the mini pro stops. An example, there is a 1 ¼ ledge at a door opening to one of our buildings if I get a run on it there is no issue unless I think about it and flinch a bit. Then its a bit rough. Slow attack usually means I have to step off as the Mini goes off to the side.
That said I have been using it for work for the past two weeks and once I got the hang of relaxing and letting it run over stuff it was pretty easy to deal with uneven ground.
As for pavement bumps ( the original question, sorry) I find most are fine if you are moving along. its harder to go over stuff slow. I cross some railroad tracks fine. Sidewalk gaps with concrete missing also fine. You just have to hit it with confidence and some speed. The manual recommends 6 mph or so which I find about right. Like anything practice helps confidence. Look for some small obstacles and get the feel of it. I always pay attention to what I'm about to roll over. Bent knees help.
gregn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
kriskris
kriskris is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

It does not make sense.
kriskris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #4
Fastskis
Fastskis is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Only problem i have had is coming to close to anything and hitting a wheel, that takes balance to recover lol....apart from that am amazed how well mini handles rolling over anything.
Fastskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
dpbrew1
dpbrew1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default taking falls

I've had 2 falls so far; once attempting a raised driveway curb and another on a speed bump. I definitely was creeping over the bump. I think I slowed for the driveway. In both cases it's like having a carpet pulled out from under you. Better be wearing a helmet. I'm more careful now and don't have the courage to go at one of these spots faster.
dpbrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote