SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
Eric Payne

Default Eric Payne

I'm using Eric's account to post this update. I hope no one minds. I know Eric has not posted anything here for the last few weeks and won't for the next few weeks due to both health problems and behind-the-scenes activities that irritate him.

Tomorrow, Eric is having a bi-ventricular defibrillator implanted in his chest and heart. From what we've been lead to understand, this is a device that has only recently been approved for Stage 3 and 4 cardiac patients. Those are people at risk of "imminent death" from abnormal rhythms when the lower half of the heart is continuously out of synch with the upper chambers of the heart. In a really weird coincidence, Eric went to Google "biventricula defibrillator" today, and ended up watching a live webcast of an insertion surgery being performed at Our Lady of the Lake Hospital, somewhere in Louisiana, at http://www.or-live.com/ololrmc/1707/event/webcast.cfm?

It was just really strange timing. He was on the verge of just calling the whole thing off, then watched the surgery, and got more questions answered in the first two minutes of the webcast then his doctor has answered in weeks. If he hadn't watched that webcast, I think he might have just called the whole thing off. All his life, he hasn't done anything "special" as far as his heart is concerned. Even after his first two surgeries, and even after getting on the transplant list, he just continues to live his life. He takes his medications, rests when he has to and goes to the emergency room when he feels he needs to but, outside of that, he just keeps living. He and his family, outside of his one sister, haven't gotten along, or seen each other, for over 25 years, but he's the first one to give his parents credit for his attitude. Doctors and nurses in cardiac units and intensive care units are amazed when he speaks about his condition, the prognosis, and what level of deterioration he's at. He just knows. He's just in tune with his own self enough.

Right after we moved to Phoenix, he started experiencing some pain that sent him to the emergency room every weekend. Every time we went in, he'd tell them what was going on and say: "The symptoms all sound like they're cardiac-related, and I am a cardiac patient, but it's not cardiac, trust me." They didn't, and four months later, he was in the ER with a gangrenous gall-bladder scheduled for emergency surgery. From then on, at that hospital, whenever he says "Look someplace other than the heart," they do.

I want to thank those people here who have been part of Eric's support structure since we got him his Segway. A few of you have become very good friends to him, though you've all never met.

We don't know how long he'll be hospitalized. The procedure is generally an overnight thing, but whenever he's had surgery, there's always been complications. He might be home Friday, like he's supposed to, but we both kind of expect he'll be there for at least the weekend. And "there" is the John C. Lincoln, Deer Valley Memorial Hospital, in Phoenix. After that, he'll be at home on a two-week limited activity schedule. Though how limited that will be, I don't know, because at the middle of next week, I have to go to Atlanta to find and purchase a new home for us since my employment transfer dates is April 7th.

That's it for this update. Thank you, everybody.

Bill Seright
wseright@msn.com
Old 02-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #2
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Thank you very much Bill. It is clear to see that you are a very special person. I am very glad you and Eric found each other, you both are great people. Eric is a valued member of this community! You too are welcome here for all I am concerned whether on Eric's account or one you create. I know Eric will be in my prayers and please if you need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me, Eric has my info. Have a great night and hang in there Bill, I know this isn't easy, a major surgery never is!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 02-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Thanks for the post Bill, it's great to get an update. Please pass on our best wishes to Eric for us, I know there are a great many people on here that are constantly thinking of him. Having a severe heart problem myself, I can certainly understand the situation, at least a little bit. We are all anxiously awaiting hearing that he has successfully come through the surgery, and I hope you will keep us posted if you have the chance.

Jim
Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks for the update and give our well wishes to Eric... He'll be in our thoughts for a safe and uncomplicated surgery.

J
Old 03-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Eric Payne

Eric had the defibrillator implanted Thursday afternoon. While the surgical team was at it, they also installed a pacemaker. Then, when they were closing up, they had a chance to test the defibrillator, as Eric's heart stopped. They zapped him through the implant, and got it started again.

Thursday night was rough for him. For some reason, his two nurses simply refused to give him his medications - each claiming the other had given him medication earlier. It got nasty, with hospital security and the police coming to Eric's room. Both the cops and security were really looking at Eric as a trouble maker until one of the nurses said something different to the cops then they had to the security guard - that same nurse then told the security guard that he was mistaken, she had never said anything different, and the security guard just got it wrong - even telling the security guard: "We must all look alike to you." (both nurses were Asian/Phillipino.

That security guard then took it on himself to call the director of nursing, at home, who came in and dealt with Eric, personally. Not only had he not gotten his drugs, but the settings on the defib were too high; every time it sent a spark (which is, with Eric, almost every time his heart beats), it not only did what it was supposed to do to the cardiac muscle, it "jumped over" to a nearby nerve ending, causing his entire body to spasm. Literally, watching him, he would spasm every time his heart beat, and was fully conscious for it all.

Yesterday, Friday, the cardiologist demanded both nurses, as well as the Security staff involved, be in a meeting with the chief of surgery at the hospital. The Director of Nursing also took a formal complaint from Eric; it appears both of the nurses will be investigated.

He's home now; been sleeping quite a bit. I'm sure as he gets used to things he'll be letting more people know what's going on.

Bill Seright
Old 03-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default lives on the line

People's egos shouldn't be an issue when lives are on the line. Only the facts should matter. It's a real embarrassment that the medical system is set up in such a way where errors persist so long, and only heroic efforts finally get them rectified in a timely fashion.

Bill, I've been following Eric's situation closely for the last few weeks...he's been in all our thought during this whole time. He's come up in conversation in the chat room several times and in other off-site venues (like at polo matches/practices). I hope his recover is a speedy one, and I look forward to talking to him in cyberspace (and hopefully at Segfest in person too)!

ps - You showed incredible restraint in that situation. I would have lost it as my patience wears thin quicker when loved ones are clearly in pain and people parade their egos an petty squables around to the point that decision makers have to be brought in from home! Do let us all know how that meeting with the Chief of Surgery goes (and how the Director of Nursing handles Eric's complaint).
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Absolutely! Eric's speedy recovery is in our hearts and prayers as well. Good luck to you both, and thank you for the reports. Lack of news is difficult for us that care. He has really added to this community, and want that to go on for a long time... Hopefully with more vim and vigor than ever before!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Eric Payne

Heya, people... it's me.

First, thanks to everyone who's expressed concern. It's always a pleasant surprise to find other people thinking of you when times are going tough. Thank you, everyone.

First, technically, Thursday night, sometime around 6 PM, I "died." But the defibrillator did exactly what it was supposed to do and zapped me; the heart started right back up again. Dr. Singh, my cardiologist, laughed about it in our meeting the next day. Apparently, it's normal routine to stop the heart at the end of the procedure and zap it - but mine did it all by itself. He also asked for my permission in webcasting the procedure and writing a paper on me. Apparently, he thinks he found what's kept me alive the last ten years.

Internally, we all have organs and systems that, at some point in our species history, served a purpose - think of the appendix and gizzard. We've all got them, but they don't really do anything.

One of the things we all have, when we're born, is sort of a "redundant" set of veins/arteries going to the heart. Normally one set will become dominant, the other set will just atrophy and wither, being completely unnecessary. In me, it seems, both sets were operational - poorly operational, but operational nonetheless - and operational in a pretty strange way... one set performed the function of carrying blood to the heart, the other carried blood from the heart. So though my ejection rate - the amount of blood circulating - was only 12%, because that strain was being carried by two different systems, the total stress was exponentially less on the heart. The cardiologist was really excited, because, he said, it showed that if medical science could somehow artificially have that second, redundant system be "re-animated," it could lead to whole new fields of study in heart disease. Say a baby born with major cardiac problems could have that second system activated, instead of atrophying, the life-sustaining potential could be enormous. Of course, I gave him permission; at our March 10 follow-up, he's giving me a DVD of the procedure and a copy of his paper... so if anyone, in the future, ever hears of a Payne-Singh (or some variation thereof) procedure...

The bit with the nurses was wild. At one point, I left my room, dragging my IV behind me, and simply sat at the nurse's station, talking with Security. The nurses involved kept ordering me back to my room, and I told them: When you give me my medication, especially my pain medication, I will. Even though Security was already there, one of the nurses called a cop, who came and tried to get me back to my room; I refused. He said if I didn't follow his instructions, he'd have to arrest me. I told him, "Go on. At least at the jail hospital, I'm sure I'll get my meds." It was then the cop admitted he was a personal friend of one of the nurses, who lived nearby. He was off duty, but she called him at home to come in and "scare" one of her patients.

The man in the room right by the nurse's station heard everything, and called me to his door, where he introduced himself, gave me his home phone number, and volunteered to be a witness if I ever needed one. One of the nurses, seeing us talk, came running, shut his door, locked it, and put a big "QUARANTINE" sign on the outside of his door, claiming he had a "very infectious disease." At that point, even one of the hospital's own security guards said: "There's someone with an airborn infectious disease on a cardiac surgery ward?"

The next morning, when I spoke with the heads of Nursing and Surgery... and the QUARANTINE poster was still on the other patient's door... I was given the very direct impression both nurses were going to be terminated and face license revocation.

So, I've been home, doing well. Today, I got on Gilligan for the first time and went down to the store. Electrically, I had no problems; there was no change in hearbeat I could ascertain... but, when I got home and got off Gilligan, I was feeling a bit nauseous. That, though, is probably from the pain... I intentionally have taken only half the prescribed amount of Percocet I've been given, as I don't like taking narcotics of any kind.

I'm a little beat, and am going back into lurk mode. This was just the fastest, easiest way to notify everyone of the latest.

Oh... and for those who asked: Yes, Bill was furious. One of the nurses called him at home at 1 AM Thursday night/Friday morning and told him: "You better get down here and quiet your faggot lover up." He answered the phone after the message started, so he's got that on tape, which has been given to the hospital. They even called my second point of contact, my sister Karen, in Pennsylvania and asked if I had any mental problems that she knew of. She immediately called me back on my cell.

And the Director of Nursing noted the time they claimed to have given me my medications, according to their own chart, I was still in surgery.

It was, truly, bizarre.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

This is excellent Eric, well.....Part of it! The part that is excellent is that you made it through and it sounds like the defib is working. I wish you a better life from here on out! I know there were many here who were very concerned, myself included. It's also excellent you are out riding Gilligan again!!

As far as the nurses, I would call them lucky from what I have heard. Using the "fag" word is a crime. It is illegal and is sexual harassment. Billl was being nice by not pressing charges, unless he did, in which case he was being normal. As far as your treatment goes, I would have filed a complaint with the Arizona department of health and human services. Either way, glad you are out and enjoy a new life Eric...... You deserve it!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 03-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hey Eric, I am so glad the op went well. I guess you'll be looking at a much better quality of life now.

As for the nursing fiasco, well frankly I'm dumbfounded, and don't really know what to say. For someone in your condition to be subjected to these shenanigins is beyond my comprehension.

Anyway, I have just one last thing to say.

Welcome back, both from the brief trip to "the other side" and to Chat.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote