SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #21
RAY-NER
RAY-NER is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Karl,

As one loads the i2 version (your Gen2) up a loading ramp, there is no need to have the stick provide a right / left movement whatsoever as long as the ramps are properly spaced and parallel to each other. So, your thoughts are close to what is needed to cause a forward motion up the ramp at a speed determined by the position of the stick (either right or left movement).

Your envisioned feature must also be included with the temporary reversal of the i2's motors so that the stick handle is in your hands and the platform is ahead of you, facing the entrance to the vehicle.

Are we onto something here that Segway engineers would have no problem accepting?

RAY-NER
RAY-NER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:15 PM   #22
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default oddly coincidental, slightly (not completely) off topic

Last night there was a slight rain around 8pm, and around 9 my wife & I glided to the community post office and got the mail, then did our customary tour of the neighborhood, skateboard park, ant etc. I zipped up through the garage, across the patio and stepped off, one button push, and started to walk up into our stupid self closing door and it happened.
The wheels spun because they were slightly wet (I do this every single night of my life, mind you) and for whatever reason, most likely operator error, it bounced back just enough to make me lean toward it and down like in a bow, causing me to reverse the grip just enough to send the thing AWAY from me at alarming speed. LET GO I thought, but my hand didn't listen and I ended up in the air looking down at the back of my handlebars and splatted down on my right side of my toucas. QUITE sore today, but the point is, as used to my PA as I am it got away from me and caused pain.
I find this very ironic in that Tim wrote "no way to safely control a seg in PA mode" the same afternoon, and I snorted out loud and laughed. I'm sorry Tim, and so is my toucas.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #23
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Bill, have you tried to climb those same stairs in balance mode?

You should at least try it...

Just glide to the bottom step, as usual.

get off, the machine will stay against the step, as many people park their segs this way...

Walk around to the front, up a step or two...

Just hold the handlebar, and pull it slightly toward you. The seg will climb the step. (It might spin the tire, but it will be in the correct direction) If the step is too large, and the seg cannot climb it on it's own, you can still pull up just a bit as you are pulling forward...

It is easier to do than to type...

Report back.

Always try to keep the shiny side up! Hope you feel better soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:31 AM   #24
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY-NER View Post
Karl,

As one loads the i2 version (your Gen2) up a loading ramp, there is no need to have the stick provide a right / left movement whatsoever as long as the ramps are properly spaced and parallel to each other. So, your thoughts are close to what is needed to cause a forward motion up the ramp at a speed determined by the position of the stick (either right or left movement).

Your envisioned feature must also be included with the temporary reversal of the i2's motors so that the stick handle is in your hands and the platform is ahead of you, facing the entrance to the vehicle.

Are we onto something here that Segway engineers would have no problem accepting?

RAY-NER

I don't know you, and I assume you have an i2. Try pushing your i2 by standing in front of it, having it face you, and have it back up... Even on a normal parking lot, because every time I do, for whatever reason, the base wiggles all over the place. I can control it by twisting on the handlebar to compensate, but would not be able to do that if the movement of the handlebar caused the machine to move fore and aft.

I believe that this is a good topic. I don't mean to be obstinate RAY-NER, but I have not been convinced that this is a good idea... I would be very surprised if the engineers at Segway install this particular feature, as it has been described here... They may have a better idea, however.

I believe that if you go to your dealer or to someone with both generations of machines, you may be able to become more familiar with the characteristics. Next time we can get together, we should and experiment with some of the ideas we have kicked around...

Good luck with this topic or others...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #25
RAY-NER

5 yr Member

Karl,

I have spoken to my dealer in Santa Barbara (CA) and his notion is that my idea to reverse the direction of the motors for the purpose of loading the i2 via a 45 degree ramp is the bottom line solution. So I'm encouraged that he plans to take the issue up with top brass at SEGWAY. I will make a special trip to S.B. on 2-17 to demonstrate the difficulty in loading as I've stated here on this board. Hopefully, SEGWAY, INC. is not one of those "not invented here" companies that reject any and all outside suggestions. RAY-NER
Old 02-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #26
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY-NER View Post
Karl,

I have spoken to my dealer in Santa Barbara (CA) and his notion is that my idea to reverse the direction of the motors for the purpose of loading the i2 via a 45 degree ramp is the bottom line solution. So I'm encouraged that he plans to take the issue up with top brass at SEGWAY. I will make a special trip to S.B. on 2-17 to demonstrate the difficulty in loading as I've stated here on this board. Hopefully, SEGWAY, INC. is not one of those "not invented here" companies that reject any and all outside suggestions. RAY-NER

Good luck.

I caution you. You have not convinced me. If you are equally unable to convince someone else, it may not be indicative of a "not invented here" attitude. It may simply be that people see things differently than you.

I also believe that Segway Inc is a very responsive company, to safety issues especially. They may not seem so responsive to nitche issues, as the design to consumer timeframe can be quite a long time.

The next time you are on this coast, or I am on yours, I would love to debate this further...

Old 02-16-2007, 02:32 AM   #27
RAY-NER

5 yr Member

Karl, I'm always attentive to safety needs as you can judge from earlier post concerning my fall from the i2 resulting in a somewhat painful right ankle for several weeks. I realize it was my fault for not seeing the speed bump ahead of me, but after lying prone and the motors were still active, I had a moment of near panic. I later began to think about a way to power down in less than one second and my suggestion was then posted to this group. I followed your good advice and contacted my dealer about the loading idea. He was quite impressed with the solution so the loading suggestion has been ratified by 100% of the SEGWAY dealers in Santa Barbara. I am only the messenger with just a suggestion that might be helpful. As usual, it's up to the SEGWAY scientists to make the final judgement. RAY-NER
Old 02-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #28
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Problems addressed

The one time I was stupid enough to hot dog on my i2 getting air time over driveway cutouts and looked away when hitting one at 45 degree angle, the segway went left, I continued straight (all in air) and "Max" did shut down somewhere in the process. So did I with a broken wrist (to avoid face plant on concrete). It does do a safety shut down.

A couple of times a week, I load Max into the back of our RX300 using the seg ramps and going forward (not reverse). 1st remove the top of LSF and keep info key in your hand. Pat the foot pad to get it going and power it forward up ramps and into car. Then use info key to shut it off and replace top of LSF after leening it down. It fits snug as a bug in a rug in our car. Comes back down the same way, forward (though I have done it in reverse). It's not a problem, just requires thinking it through prior to doing it by yourself.

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #29
slowride
slowride is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Thumbs down They should continue to make the Gen 1

I put my 78 year old mother on an i167 with little worry that she would crash it.

The Gen 2 was a little different to get used too at first and I crashed it trying to go backwards. It took off on me like "Christina" the car and kept trying to run over me while I was on the ground. It did not shut down. I had bruises for a month.

I wouldn't even think of letting my mother get on one. It's strictly the Gen 1 for her and all other old people that ask me.

*****\\\\ | ////****
******\ ~ ~ /****
******(\ 0 0 /)*****
--oOOO--(_)--OOOo--

slowride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:52 AM   #30
RAY-NER

5 yr Member
Default Loading an i2 into a vehicle using ramp.

Today I visited my dealer in Santa Barbara who had not yet seen a loading ramp for a SEGWAY. After positioning my pair of loading ramps ramps at the correct spacing for the i2's tires, he tried to use the wheel's power to bring it up the ramp. Instinctively, he had to stand with his back to the CRX-2 while trying to guide it up under power. The stick is angled toward the underside of the hatch lid which prevents a full ascent. He powered it down and lifted it back to the street. I folded the two ramps and stored them on the floor while he single handedly picked up the i2 and placed into the vehicle. He agrees wholeheartedly that using a ramp to load an i2 into a vehicle is nearly impossible. He agrees that a temporary reversal of the motors is required so that the i2 can climb the ramp with the person standing behind the i2 facing the vehicle and then guiding it all the way up the ramp at a slow speed. Upon power down, the motors would then revert to their normal operation. To unload, no wheel power is needed as the i2 is pulled towards the ramp using the stick which is in the correct position for removal. RAY-NER