SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #31
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Karl, I can slightly see what you are saying and do agree there are times when someone is responsible for something that is not their fault. I do not believe people hold responsibility in everything that happens to the. Responsibility by definition of dictionary.net is The state of being responsible, accountable, or answerable, as for a trust, debt, or obligation. In the case of car accidents there are many accidents in which you are not at fault at all. In many of these I do not believe it was your responsibility either. You are not responsible, accountable, or answerable to what happened. In my accident there is nothing I could have said to stop it other than stop so this car can get in but the fact is the other car failed to signal the turn and we were going straight. It would have been just as dangerous to stop on the off chance someone isn't going to pay attention and is just going to turn into the gas station. I do not feel I had any responsibility for what happpened. Now another thing I hear you saying and one I completely agree with is that you are responsible for how you react to the situation. In my situation I had two options. I could mope over the enormous pain I was in and the fact that I could not enjoy the luxuries of walking any more. I could just lay around in self pity making nothing of myself. Or I could choose option number two where I work as hard as I can to do one of the only jobs I can do! As I was in the hospital I was making calls to the temp agency I was contracted with to basically say that my situation changed and I am still looking for work. The day I got out of the hospital I headed straight to an interview. My first accident I failed to go to the hospital afterwards. I was on lunch break during the accident and just returned to work afterwards. I was in a concussive state and went to the hospital towards the end of my shift after passing out at work. I felt it was my responsibility to not let any of these get me down and in essence it was. I think bad things happen to everyone and you do have a responsibility to overcome life's challenges. But just because you have a responsibility for what happens afterward doesn't mean you are at all responsible for what happened. Now there are situations where you are not at fault but responsible. Just like what you said when you go out in a blizzard for something that is wanted but not needed then I believe you are part responsible for what happens. If you are going to get a midnight snack and there was just an ice storm and someone rear ends you at a red light or you go into a ditch I do believe you are part responsible because you left knowing the roads were bad when you really didn't need to. On another note Karl I am not sure who you are referring to but I must say if you got the impression I was trying to imply you were lacking compassion or that you do not do your fair share for society I apologize. I do not know you therefore could not make such an assumtion. My general opinion of you has actually been, from the beginning, that you were a genuine, caring and compassionate man. I have never had any doubt in my mind that you would help a stranger in need or volunteer for a worthy cause. Now I know my previous opinions are right. All I mean to imply is that your political views on this subject differ from mine. That does not in any way make you a less compassionate man.

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #32
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Jeremy,

I often try to respnd to too many posts at the same time...

As far as I'm concerned, we're good...

( Jeremy and I have no problems with eachother, and respect eachother's views, those we agree with and those we do not...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #33
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Jeremy,

I often try to respnd to too many posts at the same time...

As far as I'm concerned, we're good...

( Jeremy and I have no problems with eachother, and respect eachother's views, those we agree with and those we do not...)
Well that's good and as far as I'm concerned I'm good with you as well. I think we just have to agree to disagree but in a constructive way! There are very few here I have problems with but those that I do know who you are. If I really have a problem with you I will not address it on this board I will let you know via pm. If I have a problem with your view I will post it on forum. Some get this confused and think there is a problem even when there is not! But thank you Karl for assuring me that you did not misunderstand my words and if anyone ever does feel that something I say is offensive please do take it up with me man to man but in a constructive way. PM's saying that I am worthless and not a man will not be tolerated by me and yes I have recieved a few of those.

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #34
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Jeremy,

One suggestion. Please use multiple paragraphs. It makes it easier to read your posts.

Thanks mate!

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #35
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Jeremy,

One suggestion. Please use multiple paragraphs. It makes it easier to read your posts.

Thanks mate!

Steven
Yes, he certainly is a word-mason. That's a wall of text!

And Karl, I get what you are saying about liability, fault, and responsibility. I'm responsible for myself when I'm in a car or (especially) on a motorcycle. As a member of society, I enter a social contract with the other members that they will follow the rules and laws of the road. Someone is at fault, literally, when they break the rules. But I knew that some people would break the rules when I entered that contract. It would be naive to think otherwise. This is why many motorcycle riders feel safer on a bike than in a car. Much like you in your fast convertible, they feel that although they have less mechanical protection, they also have more mechanical maneuverability. HAH! I muse that much like a Seguestrian is an "empowered pedestrian," a cyclist is an "empowered driver" who can effortlessly navigate the streams of highway. Getting carried away...

Lots of people nowadays like to find someone to blame. They fear responsibility. The thought that they might have to make hard decisions that will affect their lives is something they fight tooth and nail. Its pretty sad.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #36
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

The sentiment is appreciated, but no big, Karl. He and his twin brother's ashes have been long since scattered to the winds.

Time solves all ills, and ultimately, heals all wounds.

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Please let me start with the comment that I do feel for your family and your brother, as that was indeed a heart wrenching story.
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #37
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
Yes, he certainly is a word-mason. That's a wall of text!

And Karl, I get what you are saying about liability, fault, and responsibility. I'm responsible for myself when I'm in a car or (especially) on a motorcycle. As a member of society, I enter a social contract with the other members that they will follow the rules and laws of the road. Someone is at fault, literally, when they break the rules. But I knew that some people would break the rules when I entered that contract. It would be naive to think otherwise. This is why many motorcycle riders feel safer on a bike than in a car. Much like you in your fast convertible, they feel that although they have less mechanical protection, they also have more mechanical maneuverability. HAH! I muse that much like a Seguestrian is an "empowered pedestrian," a cyclist is an "empowered driver" who can effortlessly navigate the streams of highway. Getting carried away...

Lots of people nowadays like to find someone to blame. They fear responsibility. The thought that they might have to make hard decisions that will affect their lives is something they fight tooth and nail. Its pretty sad.

Motorcycles! I can and have ridden, but not for a very long time...

Anyone who ride a bike in traffic will understand exactly what I am talking about. Great example, thank you...

If you are on a motorcycle, in traffic, and some cell phone, burger munching, glassy eyed, distracted so-and-so decides to change lanes without warning, you instantly know the difference between fault and taking responsibility. If you want to be right, you can let them be at fault. If you want to be alive, you will want to take responsibility, and do what ever you have to do...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote