SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-19-2003, 02:35 PM   #31
GlideMaster
GlideMaster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I agree pt you must be 100% when gliding. All senses are needed at all times.

<center>The GlideMaster</center>
<center></center>
<center>Glide On</center>
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pt

hmm,

i might be putting on my "pt might need to lighten up hat" ;-] but i don't think it's a good idea to have music playing when on a segway ht, ears-eyes and all other senses should be 100% on the glide.

that said, the xm boombox is perfect for when you get to your destination with your ht, i'm thinking of getting one.

cheers,
pt

http://www.bookofseg.com
GlideMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:04 PM   #32
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Alan, you're insane! The Segway won't have the weight to catch you if you're off-balance. It won't be able to get up enough speed to get under you. It's not magic! If you swing backward a little bit, you are on one side of the ladder, HOW do you balance yourself to stop the thing from rolling? When you are standing on the segway, you have the ability to shift your weight in front of the axel to go forward, or behind the axel to go backwards, or on top of the axel to stand still. On a ladder, you have no control! It would be less crazy (but still crazy) to strap a ladder on a forklift and have someone drive you around.

On music while gliding... I wouldn't, but it would depend on WHERE I was gliding. I can see wanting to glide to music. I wouldn't use headphones though. I drive with music playing in my car, and I sometimes walk with headphones on (take them off at every intersection).

If I was gliding in a park, I might listen to music.
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:18 PM   #33
Brooster
Advanced Member
Brooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jgrohol

More accessories are on their way and threads like this one can help us make choices about future options available. Thank you!
Hi Jgrohol ... good to know this thread being looked at and appreciated. I like many of the ideas people have included so far.

I appreciate the fact that for the time-being, the HT needs to be marketed as a "tool" rather than a "toy," and that the primary emphasis needs to be on productivity and safety rather than the "fun/coolness" factor.

From a safety standpoint, I feel that some sort of standard lighting system is the single most important thing you guys can be developing. Let's face it, people are going to be using the HT after dark. Lighting is not only important for the rider, in being able to see the path ahead, but it's just as important for the people we'll be sharing the sidewalk with ... pedestrians. Is there a way to incorporate a thin horizonal light-emitting "slit" somewhere down low in the forward part of the platform, that would cast a distinctive "glow" over the path ahead? This would accomplish four things:

A) It would illuminate the path of travel.
B) The light would have a very low angle of incidence, thereby increasing the visibility of any debris or raised "cracks" in the path of travel.
C) It wouldn't "blind" oncoming pedestrians.
D) It would cast a glow around the feet of pedestrians walking the same direction as we approach them from behind, letting them know a Segway HT is about to pass, and keeping them from being startled.

The second most important addition from a safety standpoint (in my opinion) would be the inclusion of some sort of built-in horn or bell. Again, it would be primarily for the benefit of pedestrians we're approaching from behind, and it would be best if it had a distictive, "friendly" sound.

There are quite a few things I can think of that would lend themselves well to building the "fun/coolness" factor (and I do think that ultimately will be what sells the HT), but I'll save those for another post.

Broo

Brooster
Brooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:41 PM   #34
JosephM
JosephM

5 yr Member

Agree Brooster. A light is a must. Mabey a nice one with a nice blue tint that can suck off of the Segway's batteries would be nice.

Here are some of my ideas:

-Side and front grocery carrying bags- my grocery store near me has people taking out groceries to people's cars. If they use Segways, they can add bag holders on the sides and front instead of the cart that they use now.
-Light- see Broosters post.
-iPod or other MP3 player holding case on handel bars
-Refective tape for wheels, platform, handelbars, and front bag.
-Baby carrier- like the ones they have on the bikes, attach it to the back of the Segway and off you go with you kids!
-Side Laptop holder- to carry your new 12' PoweBook to and from work safely and securly in this nice pleather bag.
-Snow Plow- you don't have to use your car again! If those sidwalks are too deep in snow, just throw on the Segway Snow Plow and you'll clear a path for everyone! Pedestrian Rights Orginizations will love you!
-Segway Lawnmower Attachment- now the thing that looks like a pushmower can be one! It will stuck up the waste clipings and deposit them into your Sterling Engine!

FIRST Pit News Mag @ www.pitnews.org
JosephM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:26 AM   #35
SegwayRealtor
SegwayRealtor

5 yr Member

Bluetooth enabled "ear piece" wirelessly attached to a small AM or FM radio or perhaps the xm radio. Their are cell phones that have just beem made available using the bluetooth technology. Perhaps they can do it with a radio.
SegwayRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:32 AM   #36
SegwayRealtor
SegwayRealtor

5 yr Member

A lock box attachment for the segway would be nice to have. You could put your change, paper money, wallet, house keys, etc. in the device and lock it to the segway. That way, if you are going to the beach and happen to only wear your beach clothing which has no pockets ... you have a place to put your stuff.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:37 AM   #37
SegwayRealtor
SegwayRealtor

5 yr Member

Surf board dolly which could be attached to the segway. Great for local surfers taking an early morning drive to the beach.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:45 PM   #38
drucilla
drucilla

5 yr Member

a plug to recharge my cell phone...

mind if my segway and i pass?
drucilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 10:09 PM   #39
wayne
wayne has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

Small Alternator that would recharge the batteries as you glide.
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 10:33 PM   #40
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I think the combination of a light for night use and a 'horn' would be a great accessory. The horn would have to make a sound totally unique to the Segway though - something that would be attention-getting, yet pleasing. On hearing it, it would be immediately identified as a Segway requesting passage.

(Segless in Seattle)
terryp is offline   Reply With Quote