SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #61
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by homey View Post
oh crappo!... can someone fix this video, i can't get it to load and i really want to see the thing in action

Don't know what happened to the link
Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #62
homey
homey is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

thanks Brandwood for finding a new link

Clearly this vehicle has many advantages with superior maneuoverability and is surprisingly stable for what looks like a ride on the handle bars of a bicycle. Unfortunatly I would never buy one for more than the cost of a good bicycle simply because it's all wrong to look at. There is nothing remotely appealing that meets the eye. Imagine yourself mounting or walking this across a busy intersection, you would look more like an idiot than we do now.

for practicality and functionality
for aesthetics and a free hand

homey says no thanks
Old 12-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #63
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by homey View Post
thanks Brandwood for finding a new link

Clearly this vehicle has many advantages with superior maneuoverability and is surprisingly stable for what looks like a ride on the handle bars of a bicycle. Unfortunatly I would never buy one for more than the cost of a good bicycle simply because it's all wrong to look at. There is nothing remotely appealing that meets the eye. Imagine yourself mounting or walking this across a busy intersection, you would look more like an idiot than we do now.

for practicality and functionality
for aesthetics and a free hand

homey says no thanks
If you read the publicity material on their website they advise against use on anything steeper than a 5% gradient! The other serious issue is braking performance. They only show it competing against a bike on wet grass, where it wins only when the bike is using only its back brake. This translates a a minimal level of retardation which would be quite unsafe in the real world. A seg will outbrake a pushbike on tarmac, a much more realistic braking test. The yikebike looks fun, but the present design is not a real transport solution.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #64
Tx-Rider
Tx-Rider is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

It looks uncomfortable to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ps, stay away from squirrels...

Peace, Love, & Segways
Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #65
homey
homey is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidore View Post
The yikebike looks fun, but the present design is not a real transport solution.
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the highly polished finish product and the effort and skill it took to produce Yikebike as an invention. I only wish I had people and support to present my inventions to industry this well. There was a massive amount of work to get this a far as it is and my hats off to the people who made it happen. It's really just a shame it looks so silly and I'm not about to look any more ridiculous moving down the sidewalk than I do now. For the money one must have something mysterious with a little style. Yikebike is going to have a harder time gaining market appeal in the US than a Segway does, don't buy stock in this motorized bicycle company.... looks sell over function every time.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #66
GlideGuy
GlideGuy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-Rider View Post
It looks uncomfortable to me.
+1 very awkward seating position, IMO.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #67
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlideGuy View Post
+1 very awkward seating position, IMO.
The problem they have is that to avoid a really spine crushing ride, they have to put the rider almost directly over the front wheel, to put as little weight as possible on the very small rear wheel. This means that the centre of gravity is very high up and very far forward. This in turn means that any steep slope or heavy braking and you will 'take a header' in penny farthing terminology- you will do a face plant, or at least you will come off the front. Can't see a simple way round this while maintaining the unique selling point, the fact that it folds and can be carried over your shoulder.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #68
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I would stop short of calling names of what people look like on this device, as that is clearly in the eyes of the beholder.

I will say that it holds no appeal to me, in large part because it just does not look comfortable nor graceful to me.

Furthermore, with a balance point being so high and forward, compared to the small front wheel, and tiny rear wheel, and the issues listed in previous posts.

It seems to me that hard braking on a step downslope is the same as forcible dismount.

This is a two wheel vehicle, not unlike a bike, but the geometry while interesting, does not seem that stable, and the videos of people trying it seem to confirm that.

I wish them luck, if it is a good product. I am curious enough to want to try a ride on one, but not much more. Mostly, I want to try one so if someone wants to bring it up in conversation, I know what I am talking about.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #69
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

At least if you tip forward, you can't go over the handlebars. The default riding position is already over the handlebars!

Also, if you have to dismount fast there is no LSF to get tangled in.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #70
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
At least if you tip forward, you can't go over the handlebars. The default riding position is already over the handlebars!

Also, if you have to dismount fast there is no LSF to get tangled in.
Yes, but if you don't get your feet off the pegs fast enough, the machine will land on your back, as you skid on your face.

What is the forward max speed of this thing anyway?

Also, many of us have not only experienced the downhill brake thing, but what about the resistance at the wheel? A couple inches of sand or snow? How about a wheel in a grate, or against a curb? What about the far side of a pot hole?

I am thinking about the fact that the machine must slow down to a degree when it falls into, and then climbs out of a pothole. The rider is effectivly on top and in front of the machine, so when it slows down fast, there is a good chance for an airborn rider. Unless the machine speeds up quickly to catch up to the rider ( as in the case of the segway) then the problem increases.

How do you control the speed of this unit? Is it with a hand grip on the handlebar that is under your butt? IF so, how much control will you have if your butt is no longer on the seat that is on the handlebars?

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.