SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Your 2nd Favorite Alternative Transportation

I have owned an electric scooter (Xootr EX3), a kick scooter (Xootr Street), an electric bike (heavy and large), folding bikes (Dahon), normal rollerblades, LandRollers and Skorpions skates.

All of that and the Segway PT is my FAVORITE! It's great in NYC where the pavement's rough and stopping on a dime is cruicial. I don't have to balance and it's very easy to control. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

But...

For portability, I would love to try the:
  • YikeBike
  • spnKiK
  • SoloWheel

The SoloWheel really appeals to me because it seems to operate like the Segway (probably copied Segway's technology), doesn't require strapping anything on and is moderately priced.

What are your thoughts? Any alternatives that you own, would like to or have tested?
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I wish I had one of these technologies to offer up, but it might be interesting to have an exchange of sorts, kind of a conveyance technology fair. At some future event where we come for some social interaction, we could bring some other item for all to sample. I was at the segway fest where a brand new q was brought, and we all tried it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I was interested in SpnKix too, but the specs are out now, and besides the fact that they are limited to a 5 degree incline, the stated weight limit is 180 pounds. I'm a little too fat.

Edit: I think I just found my answer.

Last edited by SegNerd; 08-26-2012 at 11:54 PM..
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
I was interested in SpnKix too, but the specs are out now, and besides the fact that they are limited to a 5 degree incline, the stated weight limit is 180 pounds. I'm a little too fat.
is that per foot? That is the only way I can qualify.

I weigh in at 220. That is over the limit, but I know lots of people who are over the segway limit, and do not do too bad with that. I wonder how much margin is figured in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
I have owned an electric scooter (Xootr EX3), a kick scooter (Xootr Street), an electric bike (heavy and large), folding bikes (Dahon), normal rollerblades, LandRollers and Skorpions skates.

All of that and the Segway PT is my FAVORITE! It's great in NYC where the pavement's rough and stopping on a dime is cruicial. I don't have to balance and it's very easy to control. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

But...

For portability, I would love to try the:
  • YikeBike
  • spnKiK
  • SoloWheel

The SoloWheel really appeals to me because it seems to operate like the Segway (probably copied Segway's technology), doesn't require strapping anything on and is moderately priced.

What are your thoughts? Any alternatives that you own, would like to or have tested?
The SoloWheel looks interesting to me, too. I watched some of the videos they have on their site, and the thing looks pretty simple and relatively easy to control.

I also noticed the Asian girl in one video ride it up a pretty steep incline, which seems to indicate that it has a good amount of power--although she was rather petite.

It's still hard to tell from those videos how hard it is to stop fast, and they did mention that it was hard to balance when you're not rolling. So, I don't know how well it would work in NYC crowds, Lil.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
KSagal

I am curious about those little stilts that remind me of the ones that plasterers use. They have a straight post, and a curved one. They had many videos out a few years ago, including some where people were running pretty fast. I do not recall their name.

I liked the solo wheel as well, most likely moreso than the motorized roller skate type devices. I have never been much of a skater, on ice or wheels. (or boards)

I am still looking for the segway sized hovercraft, or potentially a quiet jetpack (backpack).

I suppose the ultimate would be the boots that Spock wore at El Capitan.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default Solowheel - not for me

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/13/27...f-death-at-ces
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
is that per foot? That is the only way I can qualify.

I weigh in at 220. That is over the limit, but I know lots of people who are over the segway limit, and do not do too bad with that. I wonder how much margin is figured in.
Good question, but I just double-checked the site, and at http://spnkix.com/faq/, it says:

"Q. What is the rider weight limit for spnKiX?
A. We recommend no more than 180lbs."

I also noticed that the warranty is only 90 days. For a product that costs $700, that seems like kind of a "Sith move." (Keepin' it clean. )
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
A snarky Verge article needed some clumsy idiot to show how NOT to operate a SoloWheel.

If it were a real unicycle, that kid wouldn't have gotten across the aisle before he dumped it, assuming he hadn't put in the time to learn how to ride a unicycle.

Despite the fact that I don't personally give a hoot whether this gadget makes it or not, it does obviously have a learning curve to it, and the SoloWheel people really blew it in not have this kid do at least a little learning off camera.

This is the SoloWheel equivalent of George Bush's first Segway "glide."

What was interesting to me were the "training wheels" under the foot plates. Perhaps the company had earlier overestimated the abilities of people to get the hang of the machine without them.

I think they're a bad I idea, as they could easily catch on protuberances while someone was underway at speed.

Another interesting thing this gadget points up is the fact that both the SoloWheel and the Segway PT have their respective operational limitations--though the Segway has inherently much better capabilities than the SoloWheel.

If someone wants to buy into either, they have to do it with the realization that there IS a learning curve with each, and there IS a certain amount of hazard with each which no amount of helmets, skid gear, or insurance policies, can keep them from getting injured or killed. Same could be said about hang gliders, para gliders, small aircraft, or helicopters.

What WILL keep them safe is a substantial degree of integrity and honesty to adequately learn the operation of each, and to NEVER compromise with respecting the characteristics and limitations of each machine.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628

Last edited by SegwayDan; 08-27-2012 at 03:04 PM..
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

It looks to me like the real problem was he was looking at the camera instead of paying attention to what he was doing.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
segway, solowheel, spnkik, xootr, yike bike