SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #21
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Avec plaisir mon ami!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:21 AM   #22
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Update:

I just ordered and received an Oreo McFlurry through the drive through with no hassle.
Many cars behind and in front of me, all were great, nobody honked either!

Of course, I'm sure this was so easy because I know the people that are employed here, however it's still of significance to mention, I've now gone through McDonalds drive thru TWICE!
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Update:

I just ordered and received an Oreo McFlurry through the drive through with no hassle.
Many cars behind and in front of me, all were great, nobody honked either!

Of course, I'm sure this was so easy because I know the people that are employed here, however it's still of significance to mention, I've now gone through McDonalds drive thru TWICE!
Doing a thing and getting away with it does not make it right.

I have actually traveled faster than the posted speed limit in my car (and other things) and just because I did not get a ticket at that moment does not mean I was not speeding.

I have exercised poor judgement in the past and while I usually do not wind up in hot water or damaged or damaging other people does not mean it was good judgement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

I have actually traveled faster than the posted speed limit in my car (and other things) and just because I did not get a ticket at that moment does not mean I was not speeding.

I have exercised poor judgement in the past and while I usually do not wind up in hot water or damaged or damaging other people does not mean it was good judgement.
I'm with Karl on this one.

This "get away with" mentality is endemic in our society. We gliders can and should be held to higher standards of intelligence, ethics, common sense, and courtesy.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 08-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #25
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:

I'm of two minds on this one.... As an EPAMD I am legal on streets, sidewalks etc. Of course I live in a very small town and I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 or 4 cars in line at our local bank's drive in. I use it frequently with no problems or even raised eyebrows. And this is a service my bank offers for its customers. It is certainly simpler than maneuvering through two sets of non-automatic doors...
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #26
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
I'm of two minds on this one.... As an EPAMD I am legal on streets, sidewalks etc. Of course I live in a very small town and I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 or 4 cars in line at our local bank's drive in. I use it frequently with no problems or even raised eyebrows. And this is a service my bank offers for its customers. It is certainly simpler than maneuvering through two sets of non-automatic doors...
You make a good point, which I hadn't considered before.

Since these establishments are on private property, it comes down to management's policy on the matter. A building inspector once told me that building codes are formulated based in the main upon accidents and injuries which happen over time. Insurance coverage seems to be based on such as well.

These considerations can be outweighed by a motivation to provide conveniences for customers.

So if management is OK with Segway PT operation within its property, then that's fine. Otherwise, we gliders should respect any extant restrictions.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #27
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Wow, I don't know if I ever felt that I do not agree with Lily... Till this.

I would ask if that drive in at the bank regularly accepts people walking up. I have seen and at my current bank, the drive thru is open more hours than the lobby, so they are fine with people walking up to use the drive in when the lobby is closed. OF course, they also have an ATM outside the Lobby, and another one in one lane of the drive up...

The ATM at the drive up happens to be newer (tiny local savings bank with 4 branches) and there are features in the drive up atm that are not in the lobby atm. So, on occasion, a walker will be sent to the drive up, and if they came from the lobby, it is a walking situation.

So, if the drive up has walking expectations, I am with Lily.

If, however, the drive up is for cars, and you are the only person not using it via car, I would still think it trying to have your cake and eat it too. IF you are a pedestrian, stand by your guns and do not let anyone deter you. But if you are a pedestrian, then you are not a vehicle. You cannot have it both ways and not flirt with hypocrisy.

This goes back to some of my earlier statements. I am not saying I have never or would never use a drive up via segway, I am just saying that it would not be a smart thing to do, nor a consistent one. Luckily, I do not suffer from an over abundance of either.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Wow, I don't know if I ever felt that I do not agree with Lily... Till this.

I would ask if that drive in at the bank regularly accepts people walking up. I have seen and at my current bank, the drive thru is open more hours than the lobby, so they are fine with people walking up to use the drive in when the lobby is closed. OF course, they also have an ATM outside the Lobby, and another one in one lane of the drive up...

The ATM at the drive up happens to be newer (tiny local savings bank with 4 branches) and there are features in the drive up atm that are not in the lobby atm. So, on occasion, a walker will be sent to the drive up, and if they came from the lobby, it is a walking situation.

So, if the drive up has walking expectations, I am with Lily.

If, however, the drive up is for cars, and you are the only person not using it via car, I would still think it trying to have your cake and eat it too. IF you are a pedestrian, stand by your guns and do not let anyone deter you. But if you are a pedestrian, then you are not a vehicle. You cannot have it both ways and not flirt with hypocrisy.

This goes back to some of my earlier statements. I am not saying I have never or would never use a drive up via segway, I am just saying that it would not be a smart thing to do, nor a consistent one. Luckily, I do not suffer from an over abundance of either.
Mix disability into the equation and it gets even fuzzier....

EPAMD laws vary somewhat in their details and you tend to be neither fish nor fowl nor good red meat... You are not a vehicle because you don't have to be licensed and don't have to have a driver's license. On the other hand you are legal on streets which makes you something a bit more than a pedestrian.

Much better to do what the situation requires--talk to your bank, store or whatever and then follow their policy.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #29
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Okay well I didn't mention this was AFTER the lobby had closed, so I could not just walk in, and they, as in the management, considers my Segway a vehicle.

I've said before, if the lobby is open, I'm going in.
If the lobby is packed, I'm in a hurry, and the drive thru is clear, I'm going through.

Simple.

Some people may disagree with me here, but this is how MY local McDonalds operates and they haven't any problems with me using it, after hours.

Also, I set off the sensors, no need to order at the window.

And to add, I'm also legal on streets up to 25MPH.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #30
KSagal

Quote:
Mix disability into the equation and it gets even fuzzier....

EPAMD laws vary somewhat in their details and you tend to be neither fish nor fowl nor good red meat... You are not a vehicle because you don't have to be licensed and don't have to have a driver's license. On the other hand you are legal on streets which makes you something a bit more than a pedestrian.

Much better to do what the situation requires--talk to your bank, store or whatever and then follow their policy.
Here I will agree and also agree to disagree.

Banks or other private institutions can make their own rules, and it is best to follow them when you can. I used to frequent a pharmacy from a big chain of them, and they have a drive up window for their prescriptions. I asked the manager of that store if he wanted me to glide into the store or to that drive up window. He wanted one, then the other, then eventually told me they were both okay for him, even though at first it was not... Again, private property, do as asked if you can. Fight for your rights if they are not recognized.

As for the other, pedestrians are not forbidden from access to roadways, so saying that a person is a vehicle because they are have legal access to roadways if not entirely without question. Any road that does not specifically prohibit it ( Like limited access interstate highways) and does not have a sidewalk, you are supposed to walk in the shoulder of the walkway. Frequently this is in roadways with speed limits up to 25 mph. Just having access does not make you a vehicle.

However, there are rules for segways in many states, rules for bicycles in most, and rules for pedestrians in all. Many of these rules and codes of conduct and access overlap. That is all well.

The McDonald's thing is very different than a walk up teller at a bank. It is very possible that a restaurant is okay with a person walking up to a window for food. It is even okay if a McDonald's decides to do it. My point is that if they are okay if you do while walking, and they serve you and do not say it is against their rules, then it is okay while segging. If they tell you it is not okay standing on your shoes, but it is okay while standing on your shoes while on your segway, that is an inconsistency.

As I have said, if it is convenient for me, I have occasionally broken my own rule that it is foolish to act like a vehicle when I want to, and act like a pedestrian the rest of the time.

I should indicate however that is what I do sometimes. When I have no reasonable sidewalk to use, and wind up in the street, I do act like a bicycle and not a pedestrian. (A pedestrian is to walk against the traffic and a bicycle is to ride with the traffic, as an example.)

But this is not the same as telling the McDonalds people I am a vehicle to go thru their drive up, but then tell the mall people I must be allowed in because I am a pedestrian. Those two statements do not support each other.

Tags
drive-thru, mcdonalds, segway, taco bell