SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #51
OregonForester
OregonForester will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJEdelman View Post
Why do you take the leansteer off? I would think that you could secure it with some bungee cords or the like. With all of the problems I have read with people getting their leansteer centered when reinstalling it, I would think that this would be something to avoid... Just my 2ยข...
I agree with MJEdelman.
Have you tried rolling your Seg up "Leansteer" first, and then just holding it in place with bungies, or a rope with a "hay knot"?

I think that I would try that. I used to load my X2's in my truck and then remove the leansteers, only to find that the leansteers were a pain to re-attach.

(Not only that, but with the leansteer attached, you can easily watch it through your rearview mirror!)

Your solution looks good, though.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #52
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking Back to favorite Segway Thing

Going out for a glide when you feel like you should be doing other stuff.

As we all do, we come up with things to do that involve the Segway.

Sold some stuff on eBay, so had to ship it out today, one of the hotter days of the year here in DC, so packed the stuff up, but was kinda not in the mood to go to the FedEx Office place. Then I thought there is a new shopping area that just finished construction, and they have security on Segways over there, I should check it out.

So begrudgingly I got the i2 out in this weather and set out on the glide, about a half mile into it, I was enjoying being outside and the scenery, then did my drop off, toured the new shopping area, stopped got some grocerys and saw some things I did not even know existed.

So my favorite thing, is finding out about new places and things I never even knew were there. Had I walked, or driven, I would never have seen the stuff I did. And had I driven, I would have been fuming because of trying to find a place to park and not picked up stuff for dinner.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #53
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonForester View Post
I agree with MJEdelman.

(Not only that, but with the leansteer attached, you can easily watch it through your rearview mirror!)
True!!!! So True!!!

Often times the rear of the vehicle is "all packed up" so there can be line of sight problems there. Wile I am an experienced "back up" driver, the setup I use does not "bend" at the hitch so it really is more of a distance computation combined with perception.

Last edited by wwhopper; 08-11-2009 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: fixing the quote marks
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #54
Seginaway

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
Going out for a glide when you feel like you should be doing other stuff.

As we all do, we come up with things to do that involve the Segway.
A true, VERY TRUE, statement that I often am guilty of, but it is GREAT!!! (seginaway comment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
So my favorite thing, is finding out about new places and things I never even knew were there. Had I walked, or driven, I would never have seen the stuff I did. And had I driven, I would have been fuming because of trying to find a place to park and not picked up stuff for dinner.
The scents, the backgound and all of the GOOD stuff around you is so much more involving on a Segway. It is a SPECIAL experience!!!!! (seginaway comment)

Last edited by wwhopper; 08-11-2009 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: quote attribution - wwh quotes
Old 05-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #55
Seginaway

5 yr Member
Default Red Light, Green Light

One of my favorite Segway things.

Getting ready to commute and I hit the infokey button to start Trigger up. Nothing happens. I hit the button again. Nothing happens. I get my extra infokey and hit the start-up button but, again, nothing happens. I change infokey batteries and try again, but no luck. I get the battery meter and check both CR 2430's, but they're good. I re-install them in each infokey, hit the start button and nothing happens. Maybe I didn't install them right. I reverse them, re-install them, hook up the charging cable and try to start Trigger, unplug Trigger and try it all over again. All to no avail, Trigger won't turn on. Not even any Red Lights, just no response at all.

Thoughts of $800, dare I say $1,600 dance in my head. Then . . .
remembering a thread I read on Segway Chat I get out my hex wrench and undue each screw and move front battery to back and back battery to front, all the while the thought of no gliding today is ruining my day, not to mention the $1,600 bill at the end of that black rainbow.

I've finished the transfer and pray . . ., then I hit the infokey button and much to my delight the whirrr of the motors abound.

I get the backpack on, give a sigh of relief and off I go. Defintely, one of my favorite Segway things, not having to replace the Li-Ions. All was not lost and the Li-Ions live to roll a few more miles.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #56
Seginaway

5 yr Member
Default A sunny day and time to glide . . .

One of my favorite Segway things.

Warm weather has re-appeared. Battery life has been re-born!!!!!

Any time to be in shorts and gliding through town is one of my favorite segway things.

To hear the person coming out of the pizza shop say, ". . .my neice thinks the segway is so cool, she sees you all the time around town."

And, you get to say, "tell her to say hi and I'll wave as I glide on by . . . " as I try to do to all. Segway provides a great experience . . . always.

Well, except for those battery problems.

What's your Favorite Segway Thing . . . ?
Old 05-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #57
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Where to Begin...

Great thread.

1. I like getting up early in the morning (around 6-7am) on a Sunday and gliding down the bike trail when few are out. I love being able to glide up and down very steep hills that I'd never be able to handle on skates or a bike. I also love exploring trails I'd fear being on (for safety reasons) were I not on something that could zip away at 12.5MPH.

2. I love being able to take my camera and video equipment to these places and thus getting photos and videos I wouldn't otherwise. A/V equipment is heavy, so walking for miles with this on my back would be impractical.

3. My favorite thing is gibing a ride every once in a while to strangers, then photographing them with their camera phones and watching the joy on their face. They can't wait to share the photos with their friends.

4. I feel awesome after gliding to the store, buying something, then gliding home, knowing I saved a little bit instead of taking public transportation.
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #58
MowTin
MowTin is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
4. I feel awesome after gliding to the store, buying something, then gliding home, knowing I saved a little bit instead of taking public transportation.
I'm in Queens. I was gliding around my neighborhood and I was surprised by how many cars slowed down to take a look and how many people stopped to talk to me and ask me about my newfangled gizmo.

About your trip to a store in Manhattan, did you glide on the sidewalk or street? Did you glide into the store or did you secure your Segway outside with a lock?

Have you tried to the new waterfront path? I'm planning to give that a try first chance I get.
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #59
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
I'm in Queens. I was gliding around my neighborhood and I was surprised by how many cars slowed down to take a look and how many people stopped to talk to me and ask me about my newfangled gizmo.

About your trip to a store in Manhattan, did you glide on the sidewalk or street? Did you glide into the store or did you secure your Segway outside with a lock?

Have you tried to the new waterfront path? I'm planning to give that a try first chance I get.
I used to take my Segway to my gym when they let me park it inside. Now, I'll only go to stores with above-ground glass walls like the Apple Store around 14th St. If I have to park it somewhere where I cannot see it, I'll likely not take the Segway there, or I'll use my cover and Xena alarm lock.

I glide on the street and sidewalk because sometimes the street is super crowded, meaning due to parked cars, there is barely enough room for cars, so I don't want to be an added distraction nor endanger myself, so at those times, I'll glide on the sidewalk. Recently, traffic was so clogged that the crosswalk was literally blocked with traffic. I just got off of the Segway and waited until a traffic cop came.

By waterfront, do you mean the Hudson River Park? That's the only place I feel comfortable gliding.

Last edited by lilnyc; 05-23-2010 at 03:24 PM..
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #60
MowTin
MowTin is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
By waterfront, do you mean the Hudson River Park? That's the only place I feel comfortable gliding.
I'm not familiar with the area but I think Hundson River park connects to Riverside Park. Recently they added a path connecting Riverside such that you can travel all the way up to Dykman Street.

Here is the NY1 story about it:

http://www.ny1.com/content/118957/ri...aterfront-path
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote