SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
bruneje
bruneje is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Gen 1 question, Is this possible?

I use a Gen 1 to travel. Last flight , unbeknownst to me they damaged the Segway, My wheel rim was cracked , looks like it took quite a hit.

My question, when I got on the Segway at the airport and even now it feels like it is leaning a little forward, I mentionned that when I first got on it at the airport, i had no idea about the damage then, only realized when I got home and washed it. It still runs well, balances me perfectly but gives me the feeling that I am leaning a little forward....is that possible?
bruneje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

We used to confuse the balance sensor array by spinning the machine fast, then when you stop, it would balance with the platform tilted forward till the sensor array would re-calibrate itself.

We did it as a trick, but the result is the same as yours, if they dropped your machine at an angle (hard enough for it to hit one wheel and crack it) then perhaps the balance sensor itself is mis aligned or broken as well.

I would definitely have it looked into by an educated segway mechanic. (That may mean a trip to the factory). I would also instantly notify the airline and put them on record of the damage, because it may be expensive. Most segway repairs are.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

Given the way the BSA fits inside the internal assembly of the Segway Gen 1 machines (centered inside the aluminum die-cast housing), it's unlikely the BSA itself is damaged.

But who knows -- without completely disassembling the unit, the technician won't know until it's all apart.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

Default Easy checks

If you only get that 'leaning forward' feeling while riding, check the tire pressure. If there's a significant difference between them, it can cause the Seg to lean forward more than normal while riding, then slowly straighten up after you come to a stop. I know it sounds crazy, but I've experienced it twice when a tire was leaking. Kinda un-nerving. I don't remember if it happened on a Gen 1 or 2, but it's an easy check and easy fix if that's the problem.

If it seems to lean as soon as you step on, you can check it with a level on the mat. It should be level within a degree or so when standing still. If it's off enough to notice, I'd get it checked.

Let us know what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruneje View Post
I use a Gen 1 to travel. Last flight , unbeknownst to me they damaged the Segway, My wheel rim was cracked , looks like it took quite a hit.

My question, when I got on the Segway at the airport and even now it feels like it is leaning a little forward, I mentionned that when I first got on it at the airport, i had no idea about the damage then, only realized when I got home and washed it. It still runs well, balances me perfectly but gives me the feeling that I am leaning a little forward....is that possible?

Tags
gen1, travels