SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Lure of the Yike Bike

I feel like a traitor, but here's my position right now. IF the YikeBikes were sold in the US, I would consider selling my Segway in favor of one. Here's why - It's compact, and would likely be viewed as a bike, hence not resisted as much.

I have moved further West where getting somewhere means leaving 20-30 minutes earlier just to walk to the subway. A Yike Bike would allow me to zip there, then fold and take it with me. Even if I zip to the subway via a Segway, it'll stand out more. Plus, how does one get a legally unregulated Segway on a train with cops everywhere? Paying for tickets isn't in my budget.

The elevators in my new place are smaller, but there's more residents. The Yike Bike folds small, which is ideal in cramped spaces.

Don't misunderstand. I love the Segway. I think it's the best transportation alternative invention. My desire for a Yike Bike is based on stupid, baseless Segway resistance, which makes using it difficult.

While moving, I had many tasks to take care of. Most involved running to one store to grab a few items, then to another, etc. I wasted time, money on subway and cab fare, and my feet were throbbing.

I would prefer to have used the Segway, zipped to a store and zipped back home. If NYC would welcome Segway use, I wouldn't even LOOK at a Yike Bike. Take that back. I'd look at it and go, "Yikes! No thanks."

http://www.yikebike.com/site/media
Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

New York City is great, wonderful, unique. That's why so many live there. There's nothing like a proud New Yorker, and I am very honored to know one in you, Lil. You're truly awesome, brave, talented, beautiful.

I wish "the city" would somehow wake up to the Segway PT and somehow embrace it in some important way. But that's a long way off through a lot of old and other "stuff" that may very well take "forever" to bust through.

So, as that's happening (or not), I guess the Segway PT will have to find other cities to embrace it. I still have good hopes for Clearwater. We have the makings for success. Once the economy recovers and people start moving into the new condos downtown along with the businesses to support the downtown residents, we won't have anywhere near the magnitude of pedestrian congestion extant in NYC. The Segway PT may have a chance to proliferate along with a new generation of city dwellers.

I know I'll keep doing my part, being a good citizen and glider, keeping an eye out for reactionary restrictions, trying to keep the door open for the new gliders to come.

Anyway, Lil, I hope you never stop gliding!

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
Old 02-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

What are the regulations on electric bikes? OR is that considered an electric scooter? Are they legal on the sidewalk, and segways not?

I believe that each person must make the decisions that make the most sense in their lives... Not all the decisions will be the same.

Good luck. Next time they close a major avenue in town, let me know...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
dl1955
dl1955 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default cool

The Yike Bike looks like a nifty device. Very compact. The only problem I would see for myself is the 100kg (220lb) weight limit. I am slightly below that limit but with my backpack and such I would be over the limit. I wouldn't replace my Segway with this but add this to my collection of transportation devices. Too bad it's sold in Europe for now. Not a cheap device @ $5300usd. Just might have to start saving my pennies for one of these...
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
What are the regulations on electric bikes? OR is that considered an electric scooter? Are they legal on the sidewalk, and segways not?

I believe that each person must make the decisions that make the most sense in their lives... Not all the decisions will be the same.

Good luck. Next time they close a major avenue in town, let me know...
The legality of electric bikes in New York is a grey area. The state DMV says they are illegal. The electric bike dealers say that without a specific state law regulating e-bikes the federal regulations are in effect, making motor assisted bikes with a top speed of 20mph ok. Law enforcement seems to be turning a blind eye to motor assisted bikes. Or just can't tell the motor assisted from the human-only powered bikes. A bill is in the NY state legislature that would sort it all out.

The Yike Bike, lacking any human-power option, is not a bicycle by anyones definition. It probably falls under the NYS Class C Limited Use Motorcycle (20mph top speed moped and scooter) laws, IF it were certified by the DMV Technical Services Bureau. Registration would be required, but not insurance or helmets, and riders would only need a regular drivers license. No sidewalk riding.

More info at New York State DMV FAQ
RUSA #235
UMCA #

Old 02-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
cyberjack
cyberjack is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Riding in the Real World....

I am not sure that anyone here is actually ridden one of these but.... I think in the real world this would be a little scary riding the Yike Bike with the position of riding etc I could seen getting thrown with a good bump and it doesn't look like a soft landing. With my i2 nothing is more pleasant than a nice wide, traffic free surface to ride. However, that is not my reality. I commute to work on my i2 and sidewalks cracked from tree roots, uneven edges, pot holes, broken asphalt, glass and other detritus from lazy people. And this does not even count the clowns who look right at me and then after I have entered intersections accelerate towards me, blow completely red lights, back out of driveways without looking etc. With the great visibility of the i2 I feel much safer than a Yike Bike.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

Default Check this out

Lil - You might also check out the Bike Friday 'tikit', which is a really cool folding bike. It folds and unfolds literally in a few seconds. If the biking part of your commute would be short enough that you don't need battery power (you look pretty fit), or if electrics are restricted, this might work for you. Bike Friday has a great reputation for quality bikes. Several other companies make folders, but the tikit folds the fastest.

We'd hate to see you give up your Seg, and we'd miss you here if you left, but we understand your situation.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjack View Post
I am not sure that anyone here is actually ridden one of these but.... I think in the real world this would be a little scary riding the Yike Bike with the position of riding etc I could seen getting thrown with a good bump and it doesn't look like a soft landing. With my i2 nothing is more pleasant than a nice wide, traffic free surface to ride. However, that is not my reality. I commute to work on my i2 and sidewalks cracked from tree roots, uneven edges, pot holes, broken asphalt, glass and other detritus from lazy people. And this does not even count the clowns who look right at me and then after I have entered intersections accelerate towards me, blow completely red lights, back out of driveways without looking etc. With the great visibility of the i2 I feel much safer than a Yike Bike.
I agree. And some of the reasons I prefer the segway is the convenience and relative safety of using the sidewalks. I live in a downtown environment, and would not want to be riding a bike on the streets around here...
Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Thank you JohnM.

Just because Yike calls itself a bike, it is not. It is an electric scooter, and not likely any more legal than a segway... Neither are actually legal.

If that is your issue, you want to be legal, than this may not be your best choice... Of course, you likely have other considerations as well...

Good Luck.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Grizzly
Grizzly is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I'd probably buy one if it would go more then 9 km.
For me, half the distance of a Segway would be reasonable.