SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

View Poll Results: Mac or PC
Mac 32 46.38%
PC 19 27.54%
Linux 1 1.45%
combination 17 24.64%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2009, 07:21 AM   #71
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I'm only aware of one or two viruses for Mac, one which was only bundled with a pirated version of iWork... But it's easy enough to make a virus for a Mac... Infecting the system without a users interaction is tricky, however... Their implementation of Unix BSD and Mach makes a pretty damn solid secure system, though it pulls a couple of points in speed...

But, I couldn't care less about viruses... I never used antivirus on Windows, and I have no intentions of using it here... If something somehow managed to get in (Which so far haven't happened for me on any platform), I'm pretty sure I can remove it again.

The reason I use Mac OS X, and not some other *nix, is that OS X seems more complete in it's UI, while most graphical environment for Linux and BSD tend to be held together with band aid, if you know what I mean. :P Also, there's more applications available.

The reason I use a Mac, is because the quality seems to be way higher than your average laptop... And, it's a heck of a lot slimmer and prettier!

Cons: PRICE.

(Sorry, I wrote this on my G1, so it may have a lot of typos )

Reality has been scientifically proven impossible.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #72
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joushou View Post
But, I couldn't care less about viruses... I never used antivirus on Windows, and I have no intentions of using it here... If something somehow managed to get in (Which so far haven't happened for me on any platform), I'm pretty sure I can remove it again.
With viruses being viruses - removing them is all fine and good - but knowing you have one in the first place and dealing with whatever the virus does whilst you are infected is another matter. Especially if you are on a LAN.

Some people don't worry about backups either until they lose everything... Been there.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #73
FrostyEOD
FrostyEOD will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

So, a bad two days for laptops for me.

My 13" Mac Book Pro (11 days old) broke (iSight camera stopped working), took it to Apple store and they replaced entire laptop.

While upgrading to Win7 from Vista on my Compaq, I got the "unable to install, rolling back to previous version" error then the endless restart loop. (I was able to get a clean install on third try.

Nothing is perfect, but I'm very happy with Apple service and , so far, happy with Win7.

Let me suggest that everyone maintain good backups of their data.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 AM   #74
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
I'm only aware of one or two viruses for Mac, one which was only bundled with a pirated version of iWork... But it's easy enough to make a virus for a Mac... Infecting the system without a users interaction is tricky, however... Their implementation of Unix BSD and Mach makes a pretty damn solid secure system, though it pulls a couple of points in speed...
For reference, however, the first virus infestation I had to clean up was on MacOS. That's what Macs used to run before they ran Unix, more a fancy bootstrap loader with a UI, than an actual OS. No security at all to speak of, so it spread through the appletalk network from machine to machine, without user intervention.

That was about 1987. About a decade earlier, I created an experimental "virus", back before either the PC or Mac or any sort of personal computer, really (well, the MIT Lisp machines, and the early Xerox computers -- Alto and Dorado). This would attach itself to free consoles, and replicate to any free console. It was as polite as I could make it, and would disappear from any given console if you asked it, and had a back door to make ALL instances disappear simultaneously.

So it seemed a harmless experiment -- the idea was to see how hard it would be to eradicate.

It uncovered a bug in the OS, however, crashing the system in the middle of the day for everyone. Nobody yelled at me, but I felt bad enough... and indeed, it presaged future misbehavior by various viruses due to bugs.

Quote:
Remind me not to look at your messages without my virus-proof sunglasses; I wouldn't want to get infected!

Quote:
The reason I use Mac OS X, and not some other *nix, is that OS X seems more complete in it's UI, while most graphical environment for Linux and BSD tend to be held together with band aid, if you know what I mean. :P Also, there's more applications available.
Yes, I definitely know what you mean. Although if you do enough configuration, you can make Linux sort of usable. I prefer Kubuntu for that reason -- not nearly as much PITA getting it usable.

As for your last point -- while that's a reason to prefer MacOS to Linux, it's also a reason to prefer Windows to MacOS, and in fact I suspect that's the biggest reason for the world at large. It amounts to a sort of inertia, that makes it difficult for the Mac to gain market share (and also for Linux, whose fans still dream of it taking over on the desktop). Apple does seem to be making headway on that, branching out from core areas where apps have always been plentiful, such as K-12 education, and graphic design.

Quote:
The reason I use a Mac, is because the quality seems to be way higher than your average laptop... And, it's a heck of a lot slimmer and prettier!

Cons: PRICE.

(Sorry, I wrote this on my G1, so it may have a lot of typos )
It's not just that the hardware is high quality -- but also the drivers for that hardware actually work. I think the biggest single reliability problem overall for PCs is that there are more device drivers for PCs than there exist competent device driver programmers capable of creating them. (And QA engineers, managers -- the whole team needed to create a quality device driver).

As much as I dislike closed, proprietary systems, this is the benefit.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #75
Bigpond
Bigpond is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Has to be Mac for me. Every time I boot up a Windows PC I 'm reminded of just why the Mac should rule.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #76
Efishal
Efishal is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Apple Excellance

I have two machines - both macs! I have a G5 tower and a Macbook Pro!

If you are artistic or graphics oriented the Mac is the only way to go!

PCs........... well, my elderly mother plays solitaire on one!