SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

View Poll Results: Mac or PC
Mac 32 46.38%
PC 19 27.54%
Linux 1 1.45%
combination 17 24.64%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
budsiskos
budsiskos is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Mac or PC?

which one are You?

and if there are any linux users here, dont worry i didnt forget you.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have many tools, and do not fill out polls for the most part.

I also am very much unfamiliar with most all Apple products. I have never owned an iphone, a mac, nor an ipod...

I do use some of their software, like for streaming video. (because this site or that will request that I download it) The only apple products that I know that I use are these shareware products.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hey, I'm Mac and I'm proud. Apple all the way since about 1979. First Mac in 1985.

Avoid windoze like the plague. No such machine will darken my doorstep.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
DaveA
DaveA is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

One Gentoo Linux box,
two OpenBSD boxes,
one XP box,
and one iBook G4.

Guess that qualifies for "combination".
Old 07-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Active:
  • My Laptop PC (Vista x64) on which I also run various VMs (XP, Ubuntu, CentOS, Vista, Windows 7)
  • 1 6-years old Dell laptop I'll probably power it down for good soon. (Vista)
  • My wife's laptop (Vista x32)
  • 1 Desktop PC (Vista x32)
  • Two iPhones
  • One Amazon EC2 instance out there in the cloud, running our family Wiki. (Want an account, Mom?). It's running some Linux variant, I'm not sure what, as I just grabbed a configured install to get started. I haven't decided what I want to run there for real. Yes, I do not own the hardware, and don't even know what hardware it is or WHERE it is, but it's my system nonetheless.

Inactive:
  • SGI Indigo
  • Mac II (which used to have an embeded Symbolics MacIvory Lisp Machine), with a 300 MB hard drive that cost me I think $1500.
  • Powerbook 100
  • Powerbook Duo
  • An old PC, circa 1998, with XP
  • An old dual-processor PC, from back when those were rare, with Windows 2000 (unbootable since Microsoft sabotaged it through Microsoft Update)
  • My wife's old Sony Vaio -- the only computer I've ever killed trying to service. Needs a new touchpad ribbon connector Not worth the hassle trying to obtain the part.
  • HTC 8252
  • Samsung whatever-it-was-called
  • a Sony Cleo that I killed in the laundry. This is the device with which Erika learned to read!
  • An ancient Palm device, m105?
  • Some random device I picked up 15 years ago with an embedded Basic interpreter and a small LCD display.

The Mac II is the oldest -- it was the first personal computer on the market that I considered sufficiently powerful for me to put in my own money. I'd used a lot of earlier stuff, but found them pretty limited. I was never willing to trust my data to audio tones recorded onto a cassette tape, for example. Or any sort of floppy disk.

The SGI is my wife's, she had it when we were married, brought it to the US, and hardly used it since, such is hardware obsolescence...

The EC2 instance is my newest.

And in the "potential" category:
  • One TiVo 40 running some Linux variant
  • One TiVo 80 DT running some Linux variant
  • Three Western Digital terabyte NAS RAID 1 boxes running some Linux variant
  • At least one, probably more, of my network routers run or can be hacked to run Linux.

Each of these can be hacked to run whatever you want, but I haven't done so, considering them to be rather under-powered for even their current uses. I do run some TiVo apps over the network on the PC desktop.

Note that I'm only counting computers that I can actually run software of my choosing on. I'd like to figure out how to run software on my Cannon PIXMA 850 all-in-one, and I wonder what it runs natively. I'd like to scan-to-network-disk or scan-to-flash.

I'm not counting company computers (my only active Macintosh, for example). Nor my 20-year-old daughter's, PC or iPhone, though I paid for them...

I'm not counting the microwave oven.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Why is Linux an option in a platform poll?
PC and Mac are hardware platforms, Linux is an OS... So, either you mean "Mac OS, Linux, Windows or a combination", or Linux doesn't fit into the category of the Poll, since it runs on both Mac's and PC's (Well, unless you managed to run software without hardware :O)
I have plenty of PC's and one Mac... but i never run anything non-*nix

Active Hardware:
  • Apple MacBook Pro 17" (the 1920x1200 panel raised the cost to $4k... But i didn't have anything to use the money on )
  • Homebrew Core 2 Quad (Q9300), running at 3.2GHz (Water-cooled ), with 4GB of DDR2 RAM. Acts as my server
  • Nintendo Wii (As Bob, i write anything i can run software i wrote/choose on )
  • Nintendo DS Lite(s) (Not too fast, almot no RAM (4MB...), but you can throw linux on it, so it qualifies )
  • Nintendo DSi (Haven't gotten it to run anything in "DSi" mode yet, so it locks down memory and cpu to emulate a DS)
  • T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream), running Google Android

Inactive Hardware:
  • HP Compaq nx7000 (Laptop)
  • HP Pavilion zeSomething (Laptop)
  • HP Pavilion m7450 (Desktop)
  • HP Compaq Something (Desktop)
  • Homebrew P3 (451MHz!)
  • HP Something Thin-client (800MHz)
  • HP Compaq h2200 (I think) (PDA)
  • Way too many Pentium Pro's (And other pre-Pentium3 hardware from my father)
  • Nintendo GameBoy Advance (and SP) (If i recall correctly, it had 384kB RAM)
  • Nintendo GameBoy Color
  • Nintendo GameBoy Original (Judging by its size, it might have had a mechanical CPU)
  • Probably something i'm not remembering

Potentially (ab)usable:
  • Logitech Squeezebox
  • Way too many free PIC's

All of the above hardware that runs an OS, runs either BSD, Darwin or Linux... Well, the Wii runs their own really odd OS (Same with the DSi)... but i have Linux for them all

Only Windows PC's in the house is my 2 little-sisters (Dell Vostro 1700 (Again with a 1920x1200 panel... But damn, it's bulky/heavy compared to my MBP :/), and a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo something (My bigger-sisters old laptop), and my parents (Lenovo IdeaPad s10e, and HP Pavilion zeSomething (17" laptop, with damn low resolution :S))...

Since i'm not supplied with any hardware from work, i'm not counting something like that in (Why don't my boss thing i need computers at home, when i'm an electrician!?)... Well, unless buying some of the hardware in my own company-name (With the pure intentions of private use of course... ).

And i don't have a microwave-oven, so i can't count that in either... If i had one, i would though :P

Bob: Amazon EC2 Cloud account for a family Wiki? Well, maybe your Wiki is very CPU intensive, but isn't that a bit of an overkill? :P
SegwayDan: I was VERY close to writing it's instead of its in this post :P

Reality has been scientifically proven impossible.

Last edited by Joushou; 07-04-2009 at 10:16 AM..
Old 07-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
C3RS
C3RS is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Lightbulb

1) Main computer: assembled PC system (WinXP)
2) Secondary computer: Laptop PC system (WinXP)
3) Server computer: desktop-PC system (WinXP)
4) HTPC computer: desktop-PC system (WinXP)

5) Family computer: Dell PC system (WinVISTA)

6) Test/code computer: restored eMac 700 with 10.4 MacOSX (not iMac...)

Segway i2 (White) - 4500 kms - batteries dead after 1,5 years.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

eMac 700MHz G4... Why not 10.5 or 6? :P

And, Eww, Windows! >:|
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Reality has been scientifically proven impossible.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joushou View Post
eMac 700MHz G4... Why not 10.5 or 6? :P

And, Eww, Windows! >:|
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"
That's my boy! The new Intel iMacs are very nice!

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 07-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
DesertSeg
DesertSeg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

What the hell is this, Gizmodo?

Every time some there's a post even remotely about Mac or PC having a feature or something superior to the other, a major flame war erupts.

This thread has been civil so far and I hope it stays that way. Besides, everyone know PCs are better than macs.