SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Question I was Thinking about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
Keep up the fun posts!

Anyone gliding to the bookstore on Friday night?
Midnight... Segway..... Sleep.. hallows.....

Oh the choices one must make......

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something rightâ„¢

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default I am now enjoying the CD version of the Deathly Hollows

Jim Dale makes it very interesting as he tells the story.

Though I hear that there is a different version in the UK, than here. I also hear that there is a different UK book....

Any of our UK folk can tell us what the difference might be?
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
Jim Dale makes it very interesting as he tells the story.

Though I hear that there is a different version in the UK, than here. I also hear that there is a different UK book....

Any of our UK folk can tell us what the difference might be?

Did you already finish the book? I'm curious about your (and others) opinion about the last chapter. Personally I regret the last chapter, it's a smart move from JK Rowling, because now the story is really finished. But personally I would have rather have seen a more open end, which could be continued in a next book.

Although I'm not from the UK, I do think I know the answer

The text in all the versions (UK Kids, UK Adult, US) of the books are the same, the only difference is the cover:

UK Kids version:

US Version:

I have no knowledge about any differences regarding audio books, but perhaps somebody else can tell a bit more about it.

Florin
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

OK. Finished it last night. Wow! I don't normally read fiction, but the whole series has really gripped me.

Your right Florin, the only difference is the cover. I agree about the last chapter as well, not up to JK's usual standard.

Gareth, I have the opposite problem to you. With the kids on school holiday, I have threatened them that they cannot go to see it without me!

Oh, and don't you just know that the dementors are actually gliding on Segways under those robes!

With regards to the actors getting older, apparently the actor who plays Neville (sorry dude, can't remember your name) says the make up ladies are constantly complaining about his lack of a close shave in the mornings.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #15
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

As are all epic tales of a hero's journey. While JKR may not have orginally set out to even make an entire series, once she had the series established, she is follows the classic format of "the hero's journey" in her story telling. So, certain things kind of have to happen and one of them is that the each part must be somewhat darker than the one before it. Lucas does the exact same thing if you look at the Star Wars series, not as they were made and released, but as they are chaptered and finally intended to be viewed as a collective.

Can hardly wait to read the last book.[/QUOTE]

JK had the whole story mapped out almost immediatly, apparently it took her a year to work it into the various "chapters" or years of Harry's life.

Southern Segway

Old 07-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #16
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

I got it the first morning available and read it all day <G>. According to an interview here in the States, Rowling had originally intended to add more to the last chapter, but changed her mind. Personally, I like that it's the end of the series. I'm curious to see what else will come from her pen after a much needed (I'm sure) rest.

Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Red face audiobook

I finished it as well, Rumor has it 'Ro (as her friends call her) will do a Harry Potter Encyclopedia That will give more details and stories.

But I expect that wont be out for a few years.

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something rightâ„¢

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:30 AM   #18
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that was a rumor discussed in the NBC interview. I am eagerly awaiting that one.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #19
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Not finished here

But enjoying every page.

And once we finish the book, we will then listen and relisten to the CD's which are as much fun or more than the movies.

All three, the book, the CD and the Movies provide a different Harry Potter experience.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:05 PM   #20
nickyboy

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Will, sounds like you got it bad, man.

Are there meetings for Potter Holics

(stands up) .. Hi, my name is Will and I'm a Potter Holic

Southern Segway