SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Anyone see the latest Harry Potter

All this talk about the I-Phone, and nothing about Harry Potter, what's up with that?

We went last night (not with the segs, though we should have, as traffic was terrible) and it was a sold out house at the biggest screen in town. Not sure if we will go see it on I-Max this time, as we did last time.

I thought they rushed through it, and no question it was a darker than in previous films.

Overall I thought it was good, but not as good as the previous films, The sets were OK, where as in each prior film they became more elaborate, this time they sort of were holding steady.

Interesting to see them trying to keep the actors young, when they are getting so much older.

We of course will buy the DVD when it comes out, and are looking forward to the book coming out later on this month.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

You know what Will, I tried my best to convince my daughter she wanted to go (so I could take her and get to see the film) but she wasn't interested. I will try again, but otherwise I'll be waiting until it comes out on DVD.

They showed the first film on TV a few days back and it really shows how much the actors have aged. They really need to work back-to-back to get the remaining films done before Harry Potter is just too damn old!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Interesting to see them trying to keep the actors young, when they are getting so much older.
I believe that they are in reality only two years older than their characters. Emma Watson mentioned she was 17 when she was on Letterman last week.

The most common complaint I've heard so far to date about this movie is that it doesn't cover everything in the book. This is actually a pretty common complaint when books are turned into movies, but it's just the nature of the beast. It's simply impossible to cover as much detail in a movie. The main focus of the movie is and should be Harry's story, so I can forgive them the details of Ron becoming a Prefect or all of that S.P.E.W. stuff being left out. It's nice detail, but if it doesn't really move the main story, it's going to be difficult to fit into a movie. Just a couple examples and there are many others.

I was pleasantly surprized by how they handled Luna. She actually seems like she's the most together person in the entire film with a lot of grace under pressure. Quite different than I remember her from the book, but maybe they're going somewhere here I hadn't previously thought about.

One detail that I thought they dealt with very nicely was showing us a bit of why Snape is the way he is and why he holds the elder Potter with such ill will. My theory of story telling tells me that every character has to believe they are doing the right thing at every moment. By showing us a piece of Snape's motivation, we can see him as being a bit more human and actually have some sympathy for him . . . we even root for a decision he makes a little while later in the movie.

This does, however, set up an interesting issue for the next movie. It will be interesting to see how they resolve that.

Quote:
. . . and no question it was a darker than in previous films.
As are all epic tales of a hero's journey. While JKR may not have orginally set out to even make an entire series, once she had the series established, she is follows the classic format of "the hero's journey" in her story telling. So, certain things kind of have to happen and one of them is that the each part must be somewhat darker than the one before it. Lucas does the exact same thing if you look at the Star Wars series, not as they were made and released, but as they are chaptered and finally intended to be viewed as a collective.

Can hardly wait to read the last book.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I haven't seen the movie yet.

In every movie they have dropped certain parts of the book. In the first book the part about Norbert the dragon is much longer then in the movie, and if I'm not misstaken Ron was bitten by Norbert. By leaving that out of the story, some parts of the story line of movie one are even incorrect. But who cares, it are all great movies.

I'm looking forward for the book too, only 5 more days of waiting.

Florin
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:32 AM   #5
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Harry who?

What's all this fuss about this guy? My goodness, I hear he can't even afford a Segway and has to use a broomstick or something like that!

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
I hear he can't even afford a Segway and has to use a broomstick or something like that!
He does have enough money to afford one, but unfortunately he has the firebolt, the fatsest broomstick of the world, so he doesn't really need a segway

Florin
Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Red face Wild about Harry!

Jonathan
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #8
florin
The Gliding Dutchman

Harry says: "I Solemnly swear I am up to no good"

And there his brand new Segway X2 appeared (fully charged of course ), when he finished gliding, he just says: "Mischief Managed"

Florin
Old 07-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Arrow Segway..

Quote:
Originally Posted by florin View Post
He does have enough money to afford one, but unfortunately he has the firebolt, the fatsest broomstick of the world, so he doesn't really need a segway
I wonder how many galleons a segway would be, from Segway of Diagon Alley

lets see

5000 US Dollar = 1037 galleons, 0 sickles and 9 knuts

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/apps/hpcurrconv

Jonathan
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default I knew we had to have some Potter Fans here

Keep up the fun posts!

Anyone gliding to the bookstore on Friday night?
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote