SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 AM   #11
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Rolling, Wind, Acceleration (and in our case braking), Climb (and also in our case descent) and Weight. Those are going to be the "big" factors.

Speed does factor into it...quite a bit because it effects Rolling, Wind, Acceleration and Climb. It would effect Weight at relativistic speeds, but I don't think we have to worry about that!

On level ground, there will be a point where Wind is the largest factor and will grow exponentially until it reaches equilibrium with the amount of power available. This is only sort of true on the Segway since it's limited to 12.5 mph, but in calm conditions it takes 4 times as much power to overcome the wind resistance at 12.5 mph than it does at 6.25 mph. Yes, the actual head wind also plays into this.

During a Climb, the biggest factor is normally how fast you want to raise the weight.

Last edited by quade; 01-16-2008 at 03:14 AM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 AM   #12
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNPHX View Post
Cool videos!

Just out of curiosity . . . I noticed there are many "options" to pull behind a segway. From trailers to people carriers.

What is the battery life and weight limits when pulling something?
I towed 150 pound trailer almost 400 miles. I've marked every battery change along the route in http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=140665 . With that you should be able to figure out what the average range was (taking into account that the last leg of each day should be ignored since the batteries were not fully drained).

The more interesting question is how steep a hill can a segway pull a trailer filled with X pounds in a trailer. This is what really impressed me!
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:31 AM   #13
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
The more interesting question is how steep a hill can a segway pull a trailer filled with X pounds in a trailer. This is what really impressed me!
33,000 foot pounds per minute = 550 foot pounds per second = 1 HP.

Assume we have 2 HP at our disposal to the wheels at FULL power (which probably is about right after backing out transmission, rolling and wind resistance, but in any case is a nice round number to work with).

Assume a "normal" 1:12 slope found on an ADA ramp at 12 mph = 1 mph rate of climb = 5280 feet per hour = 88 feet per minute = 1.4666... feet per second. Might as well round to 1.5. Reciprocal = 0.666...

2 HP = 1100 * 0.666... = 732.6 foot pounds per second.

So, translated . . . in theory . . . a Segway, if it could maintain traction, should be able to pull 732.6 pounds up a standard 1:12 ADA ramp at 12 mph.

NOTE! There are "normal" slopes on roads that exceed this grade by -quite- a bit.

1 HP = about 750 watts

What did we say the capacity of the Segway batteries were; 400 watt hours each?

800 watt hours to play with so maybe 1/2 hour at 12 mph going up that theoretical ADA ramp with that load.

Again, we have no idea how much weight he intends to haul up how steep an incline, but this should show a method by which to estimate.

(and yes, this is the kinda crap I carry around in my head.)

Last edited by quade; 01-16-2008 at 04:43 AM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:54 AM   #14
quade

5 yr Member

Oh. One more thing. I don't know how long the Segway can operate at full power before the motors would fry or the computers would shut it down. That's probably a factor. ;^)
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #15
JimNPHX
JimNPHX is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I just was thinking out loud about what a person needs if they wanted to start a Segway People Haul'n business like they do with bicycles.

I have nothing specific in mind . . .

Thanks for the feedback

Jim
JimNPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #16
quade

5 yr Member

I think there are a couple of folks here that run businesses like that already. I would think a single seat rickshaw wouldn't be too odious on the flat. One built for couples might be a bit much. The FAA recently (as in the last few years) changed their average estimated passenger weights from 170 to 200 lbs. Not that I have any numbers to back it up, but my "guess" is that repeated starts and stops with a +400 lb tow is going to put a bit of a strain on the device even on the flat. I'm not saying it couldn't do it, but that it will not only shorten the miles per charge, but also the life of the device as well.