SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Kickscooter.Owner
Kickscooter.Owner is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Kickscooter ES4 brake issue (Not headlight/fuse issue)

Hello, I have an ES4 kickscooter and was coming home from work yesterday down a large hill and applied the brake. The electric brake started to slow the scooter and then it felt like it let go and I had to use the fender brake only. When I started to ride the front wheel shuttered and made a loud grinding noise. I stopped and reset the scooter thinking the electric brake stuck or something. It still vibrates horrible when riding and goes very slow. When I let off the throttle it rolls fine. This tells me the electric brake is stuck. Any ideas on how to reset or calibrate the brake?
Kickscooter.Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Kickscooter.Owner
Kickscooter.Owner is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

This forum is about useless in the fact that there is nobody here to answer questions so I'll answer my own.

If you apply the brake whole going fast down a hill it can fry the controller boards braking module. I purchased a new controller after weeks of trial and error and it is fixed.
Kickscooter.Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Skyhobbes
Skyhobbes is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default How to Fix

Same exact issue happened to me -- would have been helpful to know that we're not supposed to use the electric brake on hills...

How did you purchase the new controller, and who installed it for you?

Thank you so much for posting by the way!
Skyhobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
clill
clill is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

That happened to me too guys about 2 weeks ago going down a hill. A large bang then grinding noise and no power. It was the second time taking it back after the back foot brake actually snapped in half. I’ve also had the front steering mechanism come loose regularly and was continuously tightening screws. I took the scooter back and they advised the factory had forgotten to include the internal loctite screws & they must have had a “bad batch” as others had been brought back with similar issues.
Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. Anyway they wanted to replace the front braking system & other issues and I said replace the whole scooter is cursed and obviously one of the bad batches. Waiting on it to be delivered.
Lesson = don’t use front brake going down steep hills, perhaps I shouldn’t ride it at the max 35km’s with 2nd battery, lastly - be careful riding on uneven footpaths as it’s clearly not designed for anything else than smooth roads...
clill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
futuresport
futuresport is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default reply

Same happened to me about a month ago .
The battery also started to draining very fast and the battery takes a longer time to charge even after full power .

Please help me with the problem.
futuresport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:48 AM   #6
PhitauRED
PhitauRED is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Always full throttle, use regen braking on max, lean back knowing it does break with force just letting up on the throttle. If you need more breaks than that, step or jump off. You’ll be fine, also plan ahead like your going fast enough to die, cause you just might be.
PhitauRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:52 AM   #7
philsalesses
philsalesses is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Same thing happened here. I stepped on the rear brake going through an intersection and now it makes a horrible noise like the brake is stuck on. It was the first day I owned the scooter. Anyway to fix this?
philsalesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
HoGoScooter
HoGoScooter is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

You guys that are saying it makes a horrible noise, are you getting error code 18? I've been getting this error, and it makes the ES4 completely unrideable. Got the scooter May 3rd, it's only been 12 days. Any suggestions? Segway Technical support has not replied.
HoGoScooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:40 AM   #9
bubbletea
bubbletea is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

@hogoscooter

I’m in the same boat as you- recently purchased an ES4 and error 18. Only had it for a few days before it error showed up. Once in a while the error will away when I turned it on but it inevitably comes back. The control board located in the tube right below the battery is shot. I’ve been desperately trying to reach Ninebot technical support to no avail. The support web form does nothing, email goes unresponsive, and the their tech support number goes straight to voicemail. I’ve had the scooter for almost two months and have only been able to use it for two days. Called a local Segway dealer by me and they refused to service it since replacement parts from Segway are non-existent. I ended up ordering a control board on eBay and doing the work myself. I’m also trying to get a claim through my credit card for defective product. I really regret this purchase and even more so for buying online from the Segway webstore.

This isn’t an easy swap and it will take some patience but hope this helps anyone else in the same boat. Do a search on YouTube for disassembly videos, good luck!
bubbletea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:04 AM   #10
surrealshackle
surrealshackle is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Most probably the control board has fried.
I have had two control boards die although I haven't had error 18.
Two of the mosfets which control one of the motor phases goes open circuit.
I have tried swapping the mosfets from one board to the other but that doesn't work at all.

Your best bet is to replace the control board and use the regenerative braking at conservatively as possible.

This is obviously a design flaw. My M365 with no back brake brakes awesomely going down steep hills.
surrealshackle is offline   Reply With Quote