SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
pelley
pelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Lightbulb You don't see the Segway

On my glide into work today, I observed something that is part of what makes Segways magical.

Riding a Segway is sometimes compared to riding on a conveyor belt-- but with the difference that you control the course instead of being on a fixed path.

Thinking about that, I noticed that when you are gliding, you don't see the Segway-- reinforcing the magic conveyor belt illusion. Maybe this is more true on the i2, but even if you glance down in front of you about 5-6 feet, you cannot see the Segway at all. So it just looks and feels like you're zooming along the sidewalk.

Chris
pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelley
On my glide into work today, I observed something that is part of what makes Segways magical.

Riding a Segway is sometimes compared to riding on a conveyor belt-- but with the difference that you control the course instead of being on a fixed path.

Thinking about that, I noticed that when you are gliding, you don't see the Segway-- reinforcing the magic conveyor belt illusion. Maybe this is more true on the i2, but even if you glance down in front of you about 5-6 feet, you cannot see the Segway at all. So it just looks and feels like you're zooming along the sidewalk.

Chris
Chris, this is one of the "magical" feelings that Segway owners / users tell the "uniniated," but [the uninitiated] just don't GET it until they get on and try it for themselves... The term "gliding," or magic carpet, the smile that's on our faces, the feeling of using something "special," is understood only through experience. That's the wonder of this device, and that's the beauty you speak of. Well done!

(yes, I suppose that it's relatively true for other forms of transport, but I don't feel the "magic" when I'm on a bicycle, or on rollerblades, etc... maybe I would if I were on a unicycle.. but I think I'd feel my head hitting the pavement first )

-Sal
Old 10-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Gliding

This may seem really strange but....
When I was young, I used to get this re-occuring dream of being able to sort of step and then just glide/sail great distances just off the ground without having to step or run. I could also turn and somehow stop where I wanted, and realized in my dreams it was a magical sensation. I was reading this string and it occoured to me that my demo on the i2 was much that way. Wow, dreams to reality. I wonder if it was that way for Dean???
Well now, I'm dreaming that parts in the parts bin are working there way to the assembly point and a great assembly meister or meister'et is going to tap them together, test them as one unit and box it to Segway of Alpharetta just for me.
I'm dreaming, dreaming, dreaming, .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Chris, this is one of the "magical" feelings that Segway owners / users tell the "uniniated," but [the uninitiated] just don't GET it until they get on and try it for themselves... The term "gliding," or magic carpet, the smile that's on our faces, the feeling of using something "special," is understood only through experience. That's the wonder of this device, and that's the beauty you speak of. Well done!

(yes, I suppose that it's relatively true for other forms of transport, but I don't feel the "magic" when I'm on a bicycle, or on rollerblades, etc... maybe I would if I were on a unicycle.. but I think I'd feel my head hitting the pavement first )

-Sal

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
Sal
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiter
This may seem really strange but....
When I was young, I used to get this re-occuring dream of being able to sort of step and then just glide/sail great distances just off the ground without having to step or run.
...I'm dreaming, dreaming, dreaming, .....
No, not strange at all... We're all kids at heart... how else could we get the same joy and wonder out of these inanimate objects that we do every day. I never want to grow up!

-Sal
Old 10-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
cruiter

5 yr Member

Whew !!!
That makes me feel better.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
No, not strange at all... We're all kids at heart... how else could we get the same joy and wonder out of these inanimate objects that we do every day. I never want to grow up!

-Sal

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
Old 10-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
sholloway
sholloway will become famous soon enoughsholloway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Jim, that is weird! Just after college I started having that same dream, quite a bit. It always started with me running down steps. 2 at a time, then 3, then like 6 or 8 and then I would just kinda glide over the landings and down the next flight w/o touching. Then in the dream if I concentrated I would actually get several feet off the ground, but most of it was just inches off the ground.

FREAKY!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
cruiter

5 yr Member
Default Dreams

I have no idea where this thread is going, but it's strange isn't it? Especially since so many had nearly the same one. I never got very high, just a few inches, like on ivisible skates (or segway) or something. I wonder what a good pyscologist would make of this string? Hmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholloway
Jim, that is weird! Just after college I started having that same dream, quite a bit. It always started with me running down steps. 2 at a time, then 3, then like 6 or 8 and then I would just kinda glide over the landings and down the next flight w/o touching. Then in the dream if I concentrated I would actually get several feet off the ground, but most of it was just inches off the ground.

FREAKY!

Old 10-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
Sal

Well, now that we're all in the shrink's chair, I could tell you all about these series of dreams where I'm not necessarily hovering above the ground, but I'm light enough to be able to push myself into the air to take flight..with my hands. (I was standing in the kitchen), and pushed lightly against the counter, and up I went, and then very slowly glided back to the floor.

I have that dream now and again, and it's always fun.

(now I'm moving this thread to the OT section).

-Sal
Old 10-04-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
cruiter

5 yr Member

Are you the one in the TV commercial that jumped off the bridge over the river and flew? Only to find out you couldn't swim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Well, now that we're all in the shrink's chair, I could tell you all about these series of dreams where I'm not necessarily hovering above the ground, but I'm light enough to be able to push myself into the air to take flight..with my hands. (I was standing in the kitchen), and pushed lightly against the counter, and up I went, and then very slowly glided back to the floor.

I have that dream now and again, and it's always fun.

(now I'm moving this thread to the OT section).

-Sal