SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #11
RC Mike
Account Suspended
RC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Not quite, Mike. I wouldn't have taken the logical leap you took.

I was commenting on the justification of torture, violating of basic human rights, etc. as being morally repugnant. I was not commenting on the people who think it's okay.

I'm sure you're a nice guy, there are plenty of absolutely upstanding folks who have told me I'm a pinko liberal, and have quite a few opinions which I find distasteful, that does not make them bad people, and I would like to state for the record: I was not making any comment as to your visceral personality.

I would encourage you to edit your prior post as it was not my intent.
Sal, you lose here when you tell me I am wrong... Edit me yourself or ban me from your site... Because to say I am a nice guy, then say "I find any justification for the way the "enemy combatants" were treated to be morally repugnant."
is absolute bu!)$#it... you have made that judgement, and are now trying to hide...

mike

Last edited by RC Mike; 07-30-2006 at 10:49 PM..
RC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:38 AM   #12
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

"I'm a loser baby... " (Beck)

Well, I tried to make peace. But you can have it your way.

C'est la vie. We'll have to agree to disagree.

-Sal

P.S. By the way, I don't edit other people's posts because they disagree with me, nor do I "ban" people for the opinions they hold. I DO believe in the freedom to share opinions etc.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 AM   #13
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be some confusion about banning and editing of posts on this forum, and I'd like to clear it up now, since it's been mentioned in 2 threads in the OT area.

It takes a lot to get banned - spamming the list with unrelated advertisements will get you banned in a heartbeat. Causing major disruption on the list will get you banned, or moderated - now, how do we define major? Well, that's subjective, and unfortunately the moderators are people, so they, by the very nature of their peopleness, will be subjective. However, a person isn't banned until they've been notfied that their behavior is inappropriate and they have a chance to stop what they're doing. And we really do try to lean over backwards NOT to moderate or ban people.

Editing posts. This is done only rarely. Usually to clean up a URL so that a picture can come through. At one time or another a whole thread has disappeared. This usually happens if the poster or the thread starter has requested for it to happen. We don't arbitrarily go in and make those changes. I will admit that I've edited one person's posts - in an effort to tone down the rhetoric so as to keep the posts from being so inflammatory. I do reserve that right, however, I've only used it once.

We do moderate for civility on the forums. Particulary in the HT related forums. We tend to be a bit more freewheeling in the OT forums, but still don't want list members attacking each other. Having a difference of opinion is not an attack.

If you're in a bad place (we all get there some days) and find that you would like to take everyone's head off that day, I'd suggest that you NOT post to the forums that day . If you have one subject you just can't discuss without getting "fighting mad", I'd suggest you not read those topics. You're free to do whatever you want, of course, as long as you're willing to take responsibility for your behavior - which I'm assuming all the posters on this forum are.

Pam

Last edited by pam; 07-31-2006 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: putting back in a comma <G>
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
RC Mike
Account Suspended
RC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of lightRC Mike is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
We tend to be a bit more freewheeling in the OT forums, but still don't want list members attacking each other. Having a difference of opinion is not an attack.
I would say calling someones opinion "morally repugnant" is an attack, but whatever... I will just leave this discussion, since apparantly my opinion is not desired.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #15
RC Mike
Account Suspended

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
If you're in a bad place (we all get there some days) and find that you would like to take everyone's head off that day, I'd suggest that you NOT post to the forums that day . If you have one subject you just can't discuss without getting "fighting mad", I'd suggest you not read those topics.
This is why I took 2 days before my reply in Josh's Bushwhacking thread... I wanted to make sure it was clear but not angry. Sal's response strikes me as angry. Whatever.. Sal has the moral high ground.

Mike
Old 07-31-2006, 01:12 PM   #16
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, well I make a distinction between a person and their opinion. They are not their opinion. Their opinion is something they have, but it's not them. I would assume that if something came along to make them want to change that opinion, they'd change it. Now, I wouldn't imagine that 'I' could say something to make them change that opinion, but if, for whatever reason, they reexamined that opinion and decided to change it, they could do that. That means to me that they are not their opinion. The opinion doesn't own them.
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike
I would say calling someones opinion "morally repugnant" is an attack, but whatever... I will just leave this discussion, since apparantly my opinion is not desired.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:51 PM   #17
RC Mike
Account Suspended

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
Ah, well I make a distinction between a person and their opinion. They are not their opinion. Their opinion is something they have, but it's not them. I would assume that if something came along to make them want to change that opinion, they'd change it.
OK, so say I told you and Sal that your opinion made you an idiot. Would that be OK? What is different than Sal calling my opinion morally repugnant. Moderate yourself.

Mike

Last edited by pam; 07-31-2006 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Oops, not edited. Sorry, hit the wrong button when I wrote my response.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #18
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
OK, so say I told you and Sal that your opinion made you an idiot. Would that be OK? What is different than Sal calling my opinion morally repugnant. Moderate yourself.

Mike
While Pam can speak for herself (and I'm not a fan of heavy moderation), I can explain the dif.

ATTACKS YOUR POINT:
Your idea is idiotic.
Your opinion is morally repugnant.
(although both of these could be restated into less offensive tone, and are not very polite - I would say "that" instead of "your", but it is semantics)

ATTACKS YOU PERSONALLY:
You are an idiot.
You are morally repugnant.

Interesting aside (to me, anyway):
I was listening to Penn Gillette's (the avowed atheist from Penn and Teller) radio show a couple of days ago, and he was talking about a particular popular religion (It happened to be Catholic, but it could have been anything) and was commenting that attacking the ideas OF a group of people (and he wasn't being very kind, either) is very different from attacking the group FOR their ideas.

Last edited by GyroGo; 07-31-2006 at 02:27 PM..
GyroGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:03 PM   #19
pam
Last of the Early 30

Ah, but that would be a personal attack, because you're saying I'm an idiot. If you want to say you think my idea is idiotic, you can, (although I find that kind of rhetoric tends to close off conversations, rather than encourage them) and I'm sure some people will agree, and some will disagree.

Gary has actually made my meaning quite clear.

Pam

Quote:

Mike
Old 07-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #20
RC Mike
Account Suspended

5 yr Member

I agree completely that the conversation stops and the anger starts, my point is that I feel that calling my beliefs morally repugnant, is actually calling me morally repugnant. And if it had been someone else that did it I would not be nearly as worked up as when a moderator says it.

Just my opinion.

Mike