SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Talking padlock

Has anyone researched talking locks for their segway? I know there are devices that emit a high pitched alarm when disturbed. But I'd like something that is a combination of that and a lock, so that when someone disturbs it or unsuccessfully tries to unlock it suddenly they're listening to me talk to them. (Clearly the lock needs a microphone or USB for downloading .wav's of messages in my own voice.) Stuff like:

"Please do not touch the segway."

"Step away from the segway"

escallating to

"I'm radioing the police about a theft here at <location where you usually park it>"

then

"GET OFF NOW OR I SCREAM"

<Piercing high pitched alarm>

then

"Only one place in the USA makes keys for this device, and only when provided with this unit's serial number. My name is attached to the serial number and thus you'll never get a key. This segway is as useful as a doorstop to you without its keys, everyone will stare at you if you bring it out in public and even the act of trying to sell it will draw lots of attention to you. So return it to where you found it and no one will ask any questions."

ps - Standard disclaimers apply. If you use my idea and make a million in revenue, you owe me 1% upon getting the millionth dollar. It's your responsibility to come find me and deliver the $10000. 8^) 8^) 8^)
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

I don't mean to cast aspersions on anybody's language skills here, but tell me this won't happen:

1: Hey, look at this cool talking gismo I stole!

2: What is it?

1: Who cares?, but isn't is really cool that it talks when you kick it?

2: What is it saying?

1: I dunno, I don't understand the language, but listen to the din it makes when you kick it real hard!

Sorry if I sound negative, but my apartment faces a parking area that serves about half a dozen apartment buildings. I get to hear the "alarm test" every time a car that needs a new muffler goes by. The noisy car is gone in 5 seconds, but the alarm continues for a minute!

And, I get to hear people coming home at 3 AM and chirping their alarm to set it, and then double or triple checking by chirping it again.

So forgive me if I'm not too positive for this new feature. After all, nobody in their apartment can hear their alarm clearly enough to identify it at theirs. And if they did, by the time they went out to check it, it times out, so they never bother in the first place.

Nusiance alarms do a great job of making a nusiance of themselves, but I find the side effects to be more annoying than helpful.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Macgeek has implemented this on his e-series, he would have some great imput on that.

-Sal