SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #21
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Question What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
I have never openly said that, and I have never done it. I don't even know how.
Has a post been deleted? Said or done what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
I do not think that is correct
Are you saying you don't think Pam is correct in saying that she has never said that?

I know it saves a few bytes of space on the HD to not quote the person you are talking to, but it really makes it hard to follow.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #22
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The person who pam was replying to decided to delete his own post after pam had already replied to it, so it's a little hard to understand what she was replying to.

The question was about PMs. Yes, they can be accessed via the database when absolutely necessary, but on a regular basis does anyone do this? No, we have neither the interest, inclination or time to do so. We keep a log of all such accesses, so I know this for a fact.

John
Old 02-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #23
i2Glide
i2Glide is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

BillPaxton, it is possible to access and read the PMs if you are an op or moderator. It really is not that hard though it does take a few minutes.

In vBulletin if a member isn't allowed to post their PMs can either be blocked or be filtered, just like their posts would be filtered or blocked. It really isn't that hard.

vBulletin also has a filtering tool that gives the ops and mods the power to highlight or block certain words. It is common to use it for cuss words but sometimes ops and mods will use it to eliminate website references, insert characters in email addresses, or delete stuff they don't think proper. It says on the registration page that segwaychat uses the filter so maybe what was mentioned was automatic.
i2Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #24
i2Glide
i2Glide is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have a question. Down in the right hand corner it shows who is reading this post.

Right now there are 2 members and 1 guest but only one member name (mine) is showing. Is it only ops that can hide their loginid or can members do it also?
i2Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:55 AM   #25
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member
Default Invisibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2Glide View Post
I have a question. Down in the right hand corner it shows who is reading this post.

Right now there are 2 members and 1 guest but only one member name (mine) is showing. Is it only ops that can hide their loginid or can members do it also?
You can do it. It's called 'Invisible Mode' in the Edit Options of the User CP.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #26
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
I have vbulletin, not the latest version but nearly current that we use on an internal intranet - we've only had it around three months but I've learned it pretty well. I am fairly sure no one can read a PM except for the poster and the recipient(s). I *may* be wrong about this, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that a couple of months ago I sold a part to someone that forgot to pay me and did not frequently check email or SC - I was fairly certain I had been ripped off and I had managed to delete the name and address of the person I shipped to and could not remember the username. I asked all of the mods separately to see if they could trace the PMs and each gave the same reply independently - we can't see PMs and if we can, we don't know how. They offered other means to help me find the lost name and address so I have no doubt this advice from each was in earnest. Incidentally, the user in question remembered a week or so later and not only paid but felt so badly about it that they purchased a nice gift card for me that made the transaction less than beneficial! (just goes to show, you can be SO convinced you are right about something and be SO far from the truth that its embarrassing when you see how wrong you were)
Exactly. It was my mistake, I'm embarassed about it, so I deleted the post. Again, appologies.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #27
Eric Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
Exactly. It was my mistake, I'm embarassed about it, so I deleted the post. Again, appologies.
Sometimes, Hellphish, even deleting a post doesn't delete the post. I posted a few nights ago in reference to a censorship concern I had. Almost immediately after posting the message, I thought better of it. I couldn't find where to simply delete the post, so I edited the post, removing all the text, and replacing it with the single phrase: "EDITED AND REMOVED BY POSTER."

I double-checked about 15 minutes later to make sure post was gone. It was. I went to bed.

The next morning, I wake up, get online, come here... and not only is the full text of the original message there, it's gotten a response. Though I should not have been able to, as it was over 3 hours since the original posting, and that posting had received a response, the "Edit" button was available for that message. I deleted it all, again, and left a similar message that I, the poster, had thought better of making that post, that I had earlier completely deleted the text of that post, and that someone else had reposted that post.

Right after that, I got a message from one of the moderators that, was, essentially: "Oh, did you want that deleted? I moved it to another topic heading..." Only when I replied in the affirmative did that moderator remove the posting.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #28
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Is the question on my mind
Do you often think in Latin? Cool...
Old 02-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #29
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Do you often think in Latin? Cool...
The only Latin I know is a Girl at the Spanish restaurant who makes a mean piyaya

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something rightâ„¢

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #30
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks for letting us know, Eric, this should not have happened this way, and may be a glitch. For one thing, once a post is edited and removed by poster, that information should have been gone, as I understand it. Like backspacing over text - that text is history. As a mod, when I see something like that, I'll move the empty shell to the back, or delete it completely. I'm wondering if somehow, once you edited it, the edit didn't get saved - and the normal response on a thread that is about community issues that might be sitting in another forum would be to move it into the other forum.

Sounds like it got worked out, though.

Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
Sometimes, Hellphish, even deleting a post doesn't delete the post. I posted a few nights ago in reference to a censorship concern I had. Almost immediately after posting the message, I thought better of it. I couldn't find where to simply delete the post, so I edited the post, removing all the text, and replacing it with the single phrase: "EDITED AND REMOVED BY POSTER."

I double-checked about 15 minutes later to make sure post was gone. It was. I went to bed.

The next morning, I wake up, get online, come here... and not only is the full text of the original message there, it's gotten a response. Though I should not have been able to, as it was over 3 hours since the original posting, and that posting had received a response, the "Edit" button was available for that message. I deleted it all, again, and left a similar message that I, the poster, had thought better of making that post, that I had earlier completely deleted the text of that post, and that someone else had reposted that post.

Right after that, I got a message from one of the moderators that, was, essentially: "Oh, did you want that deleted? I moved it to another topic heading..." Only when I replied in the affirmative did that moderator remove the posting.
pam is offline   Reply With Quote