SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
glen_d
glen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Making 12.0 Fit Better With the Handlebar Guard

I originally didn't like how the handlebar guard impeded access to the 12.0 bag zipper. The back face of the bag is somewhat rigid because it includes a built-in stiffener. This rigid portion of the bag is pushed up behind the guard so that the top of the bag is just about even with the guard. This pulled the zipper pretty close to the guard.

The bag stiffener can be removed by accessing it inside through a flap retained by velcro. I didn't know the stiffener could be removed until I started looking at the how the bag and guard related to each other.

The bag fits much better when its back surface can conform to the Segway handlebar and control column - with or without the handlebar guard installed. Access to my 12.0 bag is now unimpeded by the handlebar guard with the stiffener removed.

Glen
glen_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
flyoguy
flyoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Glen,

I also didn't like the fit between the guard and the bag. So you just removed the stiffner all together? I was thinking of cutting it shorter but wasn't sure. Your thoughts?

Greg
flyoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Cool.

I also like your Garman Forerunner, perfect little gps for a Seg. Cheap, long battery life and easy to take with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
glen_d
glen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyoguy
Glen,

I also didn't like the fit between the guard and the bag. So you just removed the stiffner all together? I was thinking of cutting it shorter but wasn't sure. Your thoughts?

Greg
Yes, I just pulled the stiffener out. Funny you should mention cutting it down — I was thinking about that very thing while reinstalling the bag yesterday. The edge of the stiffener is covered with a fabric edging to protect from wearing a hole in the bag, and I'd want to replicate that protection after modifying the stiffener.

Rather than cut the original stiffener, I think I'll cut a smaller one from some scrap mat board (the thin cardboard used to mount photos). This material will be plenty stiff yet won't have sharp edges that could cut a hole in the bag's fabric.

Glen
Old 05-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
glen_d

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default GPS Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
I also like your Garman Forerunner
I've got it mounted on the handlebar guard now:

At night I turn the GPS display illumination on continuously . . . my own lighted dashboard!

Glen
Old 05-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

Glen -

Where did you find the yellow reflective tape? I found 3M white/silver at my local hardware store, but can't find yellow anywhere, and would prefer that to match my yellow trim.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp
Glen -

Where did you find the yellow reflective tape? I found 3M white/silver at my local hardware store, but can't find yellow anywhere, and would prefer that to match my yellow trim.
I don't mean to answer for glen_d, but he mentioned where he got the tape in this post. (a local sign shop, presumably in Anchorage Alaska).

Also see here:
http://home.gci.net/~glen/segway/pic/illum/02.html

Perhaps something transparent, yellow, and sticky can be applied over the white/silver retro-reflective tape? Another piece of clear yellow tape? Yellow permanent marker? A coat of candy-yellow paint before the tape is cut?
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
glen_d

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Stiffener Must Be Flexible To Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen_d
I think I'll cut a smaller one from some scrap mat board (the thin cardboard used to mount photos).
That won't work . . . I just tried it and the stiffener has to roll up to get into the pocket. So I'll get some thin plastic and try again.

Glen
Old 05-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #9
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen_d
I've got it mounted on the handlebar guard now:

At night I turn the GPS display illumination on continuously . . . my own lighted dashboard!

Glen
Your right, I've had mine on the Seg for a while and it's nice to see to "glow" at night.

Of course the only downside is a big city a lots of trees !

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #10
william collins
william collins will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default GlenDs Seg

I'd call your Seg the Jonny Cash model...(All-in-Black)