SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
amturnip
amturnip is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dragan
Sometimes parts for older models are difficult to come by, for a variety of reasons.
A gearbox here, a cable connector there, sure. But panelists in this august Forum have written of substantial modular replacements, e.g., a whole new control shaft and base, when the little components are no longer in stock. So what is this? What can go wrong with an original Amazon.com I167 that can't be fixed with today's parts?
amturnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #12
Socrates
Socrates is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Brooster is absolutely right.

I say marketing is everything, excellent service is necessary.
Segway has no marketing. And the service? Well, it exists but we all know about its quality.
Sometimes I have the idea that Segway is a 5-man company.

Alex.
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #13
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

Shortages of basic parts for the i167 has been one of my fears, and hearing that it may already be happening doesn't make me happy. This company needs to remember that without its i167 customers it would be NOWHERE. It's certainly not Segway's pro-active marketing that accounts for the fact that the company still even exists. It's US. If the company fails to support its earliest customers with basic service needs because of a lack of parts and/or service technicians, it's not our fault.

Segway has made poor decision after poor decision almost from square one ... in its firing decisions (which came first), hiring decisions, marketing/PR (or lack thereof) decisions and product design/materials (bad fenders, the paint/CS issue) decisions. It's now coming home to roost.

The top of the chain is marketing. If the company hadn't made the "fatal assumption" that its enthusiastic early adopters would be an ever-enthusiastic source of free marketing and advertising, it might have decided to stand on its own ... and things might be different in 2006. Segway might have sold enough units to keep suppliers online and maintain sufficient staff to service our machines in a timely manner.

The "value-added" to this whole thing is the new batteries (which are awesome, by the way). The fact that they don't even have a workable plan to make v14 software and these batteries available to early adopters through the dealer network is sad.

Brooster
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Socrates

Brooster is absolutely right.

I say marketing is everything, excellent service is necessary.
Segway has no marketing. And the service? Well, it exists but we all know about its quality.
Sometimes I have the idea that Segway is a 5-man company.

Alex.
"Sometimes I have the idea that Segway is a 5-man company", says Alex.

I think Segway is like a 10 man/woman company with the revenues of a 5 man company and the costs and expenses of a 25 man company that is trying to balance it all out. No doubt marketing has a track record that cries help and no doubt customer service is something cusomers like, but often an expense on cut-back lists everywhere.

If Honda upgrades the Civic, I can't say I regret I don't get a retrofit, even if I've told everyone what a great car it is.

Gary
GyroGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #14
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Gyro, Although I have never been to "the Mother Ship I get the idea some see it as an auto line, parts in one end cars out the other.

My bet is it's more like a semi-custom cycle shop. A few folks putting them together one by one.

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
Chadr
Chadr

5 yr Member

Here's the update...On Friday, LLC indicated that they were going to bring extra people in over the weekend to help clear the backlog. They thought that maybe ours would be seen sometime this week. I am hoping...

As far as whats wrong with it...no idea...started fine one day...wouldn't do anything the next...just a blinking red when we tried it up. Went to our local dealer...switched out the control shaft...nothing...switched out batteries...nada there too...so off to LLC it goes...

Whats bugging me the most is it hasn't even been looked at yet...its not like they have a clue whats wrong with it...its still sitting in line to be looked at. A month and a half later... to me this is unacceptable...

Chad
Chadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #16
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks for the follow up Chad, I hope you will have your glider back to you in great shape!

-Sal

Segway Chat Member since July 2003
Segway Owner since August 2003
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote