SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Segway enabled

I bought myself a Christmas present this week.

I am getting so tired of the terms disabled or disability. Not that there is anything wrong with those words themselves. The problem is the image and stereotypes they bring to some people's minds, especially when combined with the word "Segway".

You are either:
So physically impaired that you could not possibly operate something so dangerous as a Segway, or so mentally disabled that you don't have enough intelligence to use common sense when operating your Segway. Therefore you must be regulated down to the last detail, including speed and rules of common courtesy. You dare not be allowed to use a cell phone, ride an escalator or shoot from a Segway. Friends must repeatedly warn you to be careful with that thing. You are such a menace that you must be treated as a leper and carry a sign warning everyone that you are a danger because you are disabled and too dumb to use a wheelchair like disabled people are supposed to do.

Or, simply because you use a Segway as a mobility device, you are automatically a menace, liar, hot-dogger, with so little intelligence that you will automatically ram your way at full speed through a crowd without regard for anyone else. If you use a Segway, you will automatically lie about having a disability and we will have to see a doctor's prescription for proof (original, please) and your health and therefore capabilities are so uncertain that we will have to see a new doctor's prescription every year. Even if you really are disabled, you cannot be allowed to use a Segway during deer season because you will undoubtedly be carrying a gun with you for illegal hunting. We will allow you to use the parking lot because state law says we must, but you are too dangerous to use it anywhere else without our specific permission. You will also have to carry your proof of disability so we can hassle you for it anytime we please--just in case you are trying to lie about it.

Now of course, if this parking lot is private property we can make any regulation we choose. Obviously you would not be safe around cars. Our security guards are _trained_ to use Segways, but you, because you are disabled, will have learned nothing from experience beyond how to make it go. Again, because you do not have sense enough to act like you are disabled, you are a menace, must be regulated and controlled and everyone must be warned about you.

Obviously, all this is somewhat in the nature of hyperbole but there is a very large element of truth underlying it. My car license advertises the fact that I am disabled, so I decided to emphasize something positive. I'd like to see this terminology become the battle cry, if you will, of the disabled community who use a Segway. I'd like to see every person who purchases, or owns a Segway for disability use, get and display (if they choose) a bumper sticker--or something of the kind like this.

"I'm not disabled, I'm Segway enabled!"

My dear family is sputtering <G> but they have sputtered before--and it's now too late to convince me otherwise... as you can see below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
ktrends
ktrends is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

you tell me where to ship it and i will be happy to make decals for ya, free of charge.
ktrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
bruneje
bruneje is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Well said, love it, tell me where and when I can purchase
bruneje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Pic-a-ture???
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
legpain
legpain

5 yr Member
Smile Disabled

Very cool Lily!

But, you can't say you're not disabled when you are. That would be lying. Better maybe say - "I'm disabled but Segway ENABLED"

Ktrends, if you make a sticker, let us know how much. I'll buy a few!

John
legpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by legpain View Post
Very cool Lily!

But, you can't say you're not disabled when you are. That would be lying. Better maybe say - "I'm disabled but Segway ENABLED"

Ktrends, if you make a sticker, let us know how much. I'll buy a few!

John
Ah but that depends on your definition of disabled... and what your Segway is able to compensate for.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #7
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I hate to throw a wrench into all this, but I happen to have had the luck to have had the opportunity to serve my country in the Army.

I also had the occurrence of significant damage to my right knee in the service of my country, and after 30 years of limping on their series of repair attempts, I have a less than optimally functional leg, and complimentary damage to the other, and trauma induced arthritis to boot.

Legally, and by Veteran's Administration standards, I am a disabled veteran.

I have never used my segway as a compensation to my damaged leg, which varies from limping with a need for a cane, and potentially what others may consider the need for significant pain meds on the worse end, and the ability to hike, backpack, and whatnot at the best end. Most times it is a bit of both.

With all this, would any consider my segway a mobility aide? I surely do.

I am far more mobile while on a segway, than without. I have not met anyone who is not. Everyone from me to Olympic athletes are more mobile while on a segway than off.

I have no blue shield, and do not plan to have one, and my motivation for owning and using a segway is not because of my knee's history, but I don't want to be forgotten about either.

I have a friend with COPD. He carries oxygen, or should. If we run 30 feet, you can easily tell the difference between us. If we spend several hours cruising around Boston on segways, you cannot tell the difference. I love that.

Am I segway enabled? You betcha!

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:13 AM   #8
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
Pic-a-ture???
Lilly, sorry if you didn't know what I meant. You posted this:

I was wondering what the picture was of. Your upload seems to have failed.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
Lilly, sorry if you didn't know what I meant. You posted this:

I was wondering what the picture was of. Your upload seems to have failed.

Jim
Ummm... It was there which is why I did wonder what you meant. This morning it is not...

I uploaded it to the site gallery so i have no idea...

I'll see if I can figure out how to do that again...
Old 11-25-2010, 05:04 AM   #10
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default semantics--again <G>

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I hate to throw a wrench into all this, but I happen to have had the luck to have had the opportunity to serve my country in the Army.....

I have never used my segway as a compensation to my damaged leg, which varies from limping with a need for a cane, and potentially what others may consider the need for significant pain meds on the worse end, and the ability to hike, backpack, and whatnot at the best end. Most times it is a bit of both.

With all this, would any consider my segway a mobility aide? I surely do.

I am far more mobile while on a segway, than without. I have not met anyone who is not. Everyone from me to Olympic athletes are more mobile while on a segway than off....Am I segway enabled? You betcha!
Oh boy, semantics will get us every time...

Everyone probably has some kind of "disability"--something that doesn't work as well as it might. It may or may not significantly impact our daily activity in any way. We may or may not _allow_ it to hinder our daily activity. "Disability" is simply a word--a term we use to describe ourselves or others. It means what we make it mean! <G> Unfortunately the meaning others give it may not be exactly the meaning we are giving it...that is what I was trying to get at in the beginning of all this.

Compensation--in my case that means that while I can still walk, I can't walk very far without a lot of pain (and that varies with the day and the weather.) The Segway "compensates" for that "disability" by allowing me to take off and go without wondering if I will be able to walk back. As a bonus, I can go farther and faster and have a whee of a time while doing it!

It is now Thanksgiving here, folks. Being enabled is a wonderful blessing!

Lily