SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
bmadonna
bmadonna is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway Lock

I currently own a segway X2 and an official segway lock. The segway lock has a piece of a key stuck in it and I am unable to remove the key or lock from my segway. I have tried a locksmith which wants to change me 400 bucks to remove the lock. I also tired 2 different drill bits which just break because the metal the lock is made out of is to strong. Can someone please give me some suggestions on how to get this broken segway lock off my segway.
bmadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Drill out the piece in the leansteer frame

On the opposite side of the where the lock connects, to the LSF adjustment bolt, drill the screw out.

It takes abit, but it can be done.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I do not have a similar lock on my segway, so any advice I have to offer is completely generic, but I have found that situations like this are harder to solve when you try to over power the lock...

It is designed to be hard to break. So, slowly, and carefully, pick at it, and try to get the key part out would be my first try... This is likely to be very very slow and frustrating...

If enough damage has been done, you may not be able to back away from the original problem any longer... If this is the case, you must consider that locks are also designed to be messy and long processes to get thru. Most thieves are in a hurry.

I might consider a dremmel tool with a cutting wheel, or even a grinder with one... Expect to take some time, make some noise, and make a mess.

I hope for your case this segway is yours, and is at your home.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Another Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadonna View Post
I currently own a Segway X2 and an official segway lock. The Segway lock has a piece of a key stuck in it and I am unable to remove the key or lock from my segway. I have tried a locksmith who wants to charge me 400 bucks to remove the lock. I also tried 2 different drill bits which just break because the metal the lock is made out of is too strong. Can someone please give me some suggestions on how to get this broken segway lock off my segway.
If the key that is in there is the correct key, and the key is inserted all the way, the cylinder should be turnable; you might need only a way to turn the cylinder. Methods of doing that would start with a circlip tool or snap-ring pliers and If necessary, an EZ-out tool.

However, I suspect the lock is in this condition in the first place because these locks are occasionally quite obstinate. No amount of forcing will cause the ball bearing to retract on occasions. Although I am not certain what causes it, usually twisting the lock itself to change its orientation relative to gravity, will suddenly allow the cylinder to turn (and turn easily). So, you might need to turn the cylinder clockwise enough to take the pressure off the cylinder before eventually turning counter-clockwise, maybe even tap on it occasionally with a plastic screwdriver handle. If you resort to drilling the screw out from the opposite side, you will need the original pre-lock screw, the pre-lock unthreaded wedge that was replaced, and new threaded wedge. I'd try everything possible on the lock side before going to the other side.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
rook2218joe
rook2218joe is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Locksmith

I own a shopping center...you would be amazed how many employees break-off keys while shutting down (locking the security gate) for the night.

I'd suggest a "commercial lock/door company". My guy "works miracles" and the cost is usually that of the service charge. If you brought the Segway to him you are probably looking a less than $30 or $40 dollars...he MIGHT even be able to reattach the lock head to the "braided-wire" depending upon where you/and how you cut the security wire.
rook2218joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
OregonForester
OregonForester will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I came into this thread late, but the advice about taking it to a locksmith is spot on.

Unless you have severely damaged the lock with your efforts, a locksmith should be able to extract the broken portion of the key with little effort.
Even if the lock has been damaged, a competent locksmith will still be able to help you out (at a reasonable price!)

Once the broken part of the key is removed, he (or she) should also be able to make you a replacement key from the two parts.

When I use the term "locksmith", I mean a true locksmith, not the 18 year old kid cutting keys at your local hardware store, or the "keycutter" at the Mall's Kiosk.