SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
southbark
southbark is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default new to segway chat

I am considering getting a segway for keeping me mobile.I have back problems and can not walk for longer then 20 or 30 minutes at a time and sometimes a day.I also have the issue of not being able to sit long as my legs start to go numb.

I was curious about what financing options are available and also is there any way to get a discounted price.I wish my work comp would cover it but they say its not considered a medical device
southbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default If you can stand you should be good for a Seg

The best thing to do is find your local Segway dealer and try a Segway out.

Segways are not medical devices, so don't tell the dealer you want it as a medical device, because then they will have to tell you that the seg is not a medical device and go through a whole lot of stuff.

Your local dealer, and in California, you have some great ones, is the best place to start.

As for discounts, there really are not discounts out there, but from time to time dealers and Segway run specials, so keep an eye out for those. And financing there are a number of financing options, but your best bet would be to just use a credit card with a good rate on it.

Try one out to see if it helps you, if so then go from there.

in the mean time check out the DRAFT.org site for information on others who have mobility issues who use Segways.

Let us know how it turns out, you will love using a Segway.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
The best thing to do is find your local Segway dealer and try a Segway out.

Segways are not medical devices, so don't tell the dealer you want it as a medical device, because then they will have to tell you that the seg is not a medical device and go through a whole lot of stuff.

Your local dealer, and in California, you have some great ones, is the best place to start.

As for discounts, there really are not discounts out there, but from time to time dealers and Segway run specials, so keep an eye out for those. And financing there are a number of financing options, but your best bet would be to just use a credit card with a good rate on it.

Try one out to see if it helps you, if so then go from there.

in the mean time check out the DRAFT.org site for information on others who have mobility issues who use Segways.

Let us know how it turns out, you will love using a Segway.
Not to discredit you Will, maybe it does work this way in person, but when I was first looking for a Segway for a mobility aid (a couple months before I came here) I called several dealerships. Many were abnormally nice, some seemed to just want to get me off the line. I did not call Segway of Annapolis so cannot comment on them. I called maybe 30 dealerships at the time strictly to check prices on used machines.

I specifically mentioned that I needed it as a mobility aid and that I was disabled. Not one dealership said anything about it not being a mobility device. Most of them continued to give prices. A few embraced the fact. But, you know, out of all the dealerships I called Segway of Ohio in Columbus was the best. I don't remember the guy's name I spoke with but he went on and on about how he loves to see disabled people get Segway's.

He told me that was the favorite part of his job to see someone realize that they can now be eye level with people and have increased mobility. He told me stories of disabled customers that frequent his store. Later I met Jared here and it may have been him, I'm not sure exactly who I spoke with. But long story short, at least over the phone, I have not found one dealership to give these disclaimers you speak of. Maybe it is different in person, I wouldn't think so as you can buy a Segway just as easily over the phone if you have the right plastic!

I am not saying you are a liar Will, and I am sure dealers are supposed to say one thing, but I have heard you mention this on more than one occasion. I would appreciate a clarification of where it comes from. What dealers say this? I think it would be great to avoid such dealerships. I could not imagine you, being alligned with DRAFT so heavily, would say this to a disabled customer. Please do clarify. Thanks and have a great day!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

It's good you're not calling Will a liar, JR, too much of that has been going around lately, although TBH, you are insinuating it. Probably if you'd said, "that was not my experience" it might have been a bit less of an insinuation. After all, Will may well be speaking the truth as he knows it.

Having been to the LB SegFest DRAFT dinner where Dean Kamen was quite adamant that the Segway was not to be billed as a mobiliy device, (and I can see why, given the proported contractual relationship that Segway had/has with Johnson & Johnson), I could see where dealers may be discouraged from promoting the device as such. I don't know if it's contractual, or not, but it may be - (IOW, part of something the dealer signs), in which case, those 30 dealers are breaking their contracts, and you've just outted them, although only 1 by name.

Just something to think about. But I'm taking the intro thread off-topic, I'm afraid. It's really for new member introductions.
Pam

Last edited by pam; 04-23-2008 at 07:04 PM..
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
It's good you're not calling Will a liar, JR, too much of that has been going around lately, although TBH, you are insinuating it. Probably if you'd said, "that was not my experience" it might have been a bit less of an insinuation. After all, Will may well be speaking the truth as he knows it.

Having been to the LB SegFest DRAFT dinner where Dean Kamen was quite adamant that the Segway was not to be billed as a mobiliy device, (and I can see why, given the proported contractual relationship that Segway had/has with Johnson & Johnson), I could see where dealers may be discouraged from promoting the device as such. I don't know if it's contractual, or not, but it may be - (IOW, part of something the dealer signs), in which case, those 30 dealers are breaking their contracts, and you've just outted them, although only 1 by name.

Just something to think about. But I'm taking the intro thread off-topic, I'm afraid. It's really for new member introductions.
Pam
I never meant to call or insinuate that Will was a liar. I even mentioned that is just what I have noticed. There are several factors here. Maybe dealers in Will's area give that disclosure and I didn't talk to them. Maybe it is in the contract, I certainly wouldn't know that. But Will looks at it from a dealer prospective and I a consumer. We could very well both be right! I was just trying to give another possible side of things!

Jeremy Ryan