SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default ADA and cruises

This doesn't specifically address the use of a Segway ON the ship, But the US Attorney's statement that the ADA applies to cruise ships should be significant...

from http://www.ada.gov/newsltr1110.htm

NEW AGREEMENT ABOUT HAWAIIAN CRUISES
On October 25, 2010, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) entered into a consent decree with the Department resolving a lawsuit filed simultaneously with the consent decree. The lawsuit alleged that NCL had discriminated against nine individuals who took NCL cruises around the Hawaiian Islands, by requiring guests who are deaf or hard of hearing to bring companions to provide the communication services they needed and by failing to provide accessible ground transportation for guests who use wheelchairs.

Under the consent decree, which is pending approval by the federal court in Miami, NCL will provide sign language interpreters, written transcripts, closed caption televisions, TTYs, and other communication aids so that passengers who are deaf or hard of hearing can fully enjoy on-board activities and shore excursions offered by NCL and can participate in emergency drills while on board. NCL will also provide accessible transportation between the airport, cruise ship, and hotels, and for shore excursions, so that passengers who use wheelchairs do not have to wait longer than other passengers for transportation services. In addition, NCL will pay $100,000 in compensatory damages to nine complainants and pay a $40,000 civil penalty to the United States.

“People with disabilities who need sign language interpreters or accessible ground transportation should be able to go on vacation and enjoy the activities of a cruise like everyone else,” said Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez. “It is essential that NCL and the cruise industry comply with the ADA’s requirements for auxiliary aids and services and accessible transportation.”

“The ADA applies to cruise ships, just as it does to hotels and other entities that offer services to the public,” said Wifredo A. Ferrer, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida. “Discrimination against people with disabilities, on land or at sea, will not be tolerated.”

This consent decree complements a 2001 consent decree between NCL and the Department resolving allegations of discrimination against passengers who are blind.

More detail: http://www.ada.gov/ncl_2010/ncl_consentdecree.htm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
GlennO
GlennO is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Ok, I think I saw this coming. Correct me if I am wrong, but this only applies to cruises between US ports. I think it is called the "Jones Act" that forbids ships that are not US flagged to load and unload cargo between US ports. That came up during the BP oil spill.

Yes, it would be nice to be treated well everywhere, but that might take years to accomplish. The best way I know to get on the right line is to write all of them the same letter, requesting your wants and needs, and don't use the cruise lines that aren't disabled-friendly?

Glenn
GlennO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) has an abominal ADA violation record. They even defended a suit on the basis they were foreign flagged. The US Supreme Court disagreed because NCL used US ports and traveled in US waters. The Jones Act doesn't apply because it is too restrictive. In my case the NCL clerk said my Segway was acceptable. Onmce they had my money, they banned the Segway. Then, adding insult to inmjuryu, they charged me a cancellation fee.

When I protested, they said I should file a claim on my trip insurance. I could not believe they actually recommended I commit insurance fraud. While I believe I had a winning case, I decided to avoid legal solutions. Instead, I burn NCL every chance I get. (Like now.) I travel Royal Caribbean. They are without exception genuinely welcoming.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
bruneje
bruneje is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have done 4 cruises on Celebrity in the last year (it was a funny year) and they (Celebrity) were superb, the only comment I received from them was that it was cool and great and welcome aboard. On the last night one of the staff said that they would miss me zipping around.
The first cruise I asked my travel agent to verify with them if all was ok and they said no problem.
Strangely my first introduction to Segway and its use as a mobility device was when I met a one legged man travelling with a Segway on a cruise.
I did have problems getting to Florida with Air Canada but I believe that is all settled now, they apologized to me and my wife, sent me a 600$ credit and offered to pay for my taxi and any extra expenses I incurred because of their screw up.

Last edited by bruneje; 01-29-2011 at 02:39 PM..
bruneje is offline   Reply With Quote